main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Clive Revill finally getting the boot?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DARK_SCORE, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> But what makes you so sure it'd be worse?
    Same dialogue, same everything- just a different look and voice.<<

While I'm not as adamant about maintaining the look (thats not quite so integral, though I still think it plays a somewhat significant role), the scene is built on the presence of the Emperor, and his voice is basicly what sets the tone for that scene. Change that one thing and the entire scene feels differently.

2. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Clive Revills' voice was far from chilling, IMO. Compared with the ROTJ voice, the ESB voice sounds ordinary.

[image=http://www.destinationhollywood.com/movies/starwars/images/empire_emperor.jpg]

the ESB "thing" wasn't scary but laughable! :p

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I have never had a problem with CR's voice nor do I think it needs changed.

If there was anything to fix in the ESBSE it would be to get rid of that ridiculous "scream" as Luke lets himself fall. It's dreadful. I would also put the line "bring me my shuttle" back in. What they have now is atrocious.

Also, let Han shoot first in ANH!

4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    It´s sad to lose such a piece of creative thinking. A woman with monkey eyes, shining transparent blue covering her face with a hood. :)

Add a bonus feature were you can see the whole scene unedited without any kind of comment disturbing the moment.

5. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    I think it'd be good if they did redo the Emperor's scene, but won't be too bothered if they don't do it. Either's cool with me :) It would make sense tho, continuity wise. Yeah, you can tell it's supposed to be the same guy as Ian's Emperor, but Monkeywoman had big bulging eyes, and the Emperor in ROTJ had deep-set eyes, completely the opposite...

PS: "Also, let Han shoot first in ANH!"
    1000xYES! :D

6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I'm all for it. This is something that binds the two trilogies in a non-cheesy way.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Clive Revills' voice was far from chilling, IMO.<<

Not necessarily chilling but rather calm, collected, calculating and cold- this was Palpatine at his height and in absolute control, without the need for gloating, intimidation or theatrics- he was power incarnate and that was something not shown but that you could tell just through the manner in which he spoke.

"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi." is one of the best lines and doesn't need to be given the ROTJ-flair ("The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.")

8. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    I'm all for this. I've wanted this for years. I wish it was done for the SE.

McDiarmid rules. He IS Palpatine. If you can do it, I cannot think of one legimitate reason why you'd want to keep the wrong actor.

It's a great continuity fit for the PT/OT but also for the OT itself.

Oh, and regarding that line above about how Padme doesn't look like she's aged a day between TPM and AOTC. That's not true. I suggest you take a closer look. Padme does look older in AOTC. Maybe not 10 years, but definitely older.

9. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I get the feeling that Lucas will change the Emperor's lines like he did with Vader.

"Alert my Star Destroyer..." *shudder*

I'm against the idea just because of the possibility that Lucas will mess it up.

10. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Make the change to Ian. IMO it would be a more consistant bridge. I think it might be cool to film the scene from The Emperor's (Does anyone think Palpatine is a really wimpy name) POV. And have Xizor standing off to the side.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a compromise...I actually wouldn't mind them replacing the visage of the Emperor with Ian's face, so long as they kept Clive's voice. (even though I still think the current vosuals make the scene creepier).

12. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I have never had a problem with CR's voice nor do I think it needs changed.

If there was anything to fix in the ESBSE it would be to get rid of that ridiculous "scream" as Luke lets himself fall. It's dreadful. I would also put the line "bring me my shuttle" back in. What they have now is atrocious.

Also, let Han shoot first in ANH!

Agreed.

Not necessarily chilling but rather calm, collected, calculating and cold- this was Palpatine at his height and in absolute control, without the need for gloating, intimidation or theatrics- he was power incarnate and that was something not shown but that you could tell just through the manner in which he spoke.

"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi." is one of the best lines and doesn't need to be given the ROTJ-flair ("The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.")

Very much agreed. Good points. I think Ian does a good job at making Sidious sinister and cunning (especially in ROTJ), but I never had a problem with this ESB scene because Clive's voice sounded so confident at this moment, and there is even a smirk in there when he seems pleased at something Vader suggested. You can almost see the wheels turning in his head.

But like most people say, if it is going to be changed, please at least give us the original version for comparison's sake. Not every change is for the better.

13. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    "As a compromise...I actually wouldn't mind them replacing the visage of the Emperor with Ian's face, so long as they kept Clive's voice. (even though I still think the current vosuals make the scene creepier)."

I agree completely. It will preserve Clive's performance and keep continiuty with the character's looks.

14. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    About the changing of the lines, I think it could happen, regarding an Ian McDiarmid interview question regarding the ESB emperor:

Talking of tinkering, he's gone back and done the Special Editions in the past. Has he ever talked to you about replacing Clive Revill's performance with you?

I don't know about Clive. I'm sure that's occurred to somebody, but we'd have to talk about that. The other thing about George is it's also important for him not to pretend that we're remaking the others now. There would be little lines on something that's been driving him mad for years, and he'd be able to change that. But I don't think he'll do any radical changes.

Ian McDiarmid rather confirmed further changes in this May 2002 interview bit.

So, could the ESB scene contain lines that's been driving GL mad for years? :p

15. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    I agree with T2Q's compromise idea. That's not Revill in the hologram anyway so go ahead and put McDiarmid's face under a cloak in there just as long as you keep Revill's voice. CR's voice IS the emperor, not the image.

I hope they keep the same hologram technology effect if they do update this scene. The fuzzy scan lines of the hologram help set the mood of the scene and give it weight. It would suck if Lucas changed the entire hologram and gave us a clear pristine hologram picture with the emperor sitting in his throne on Coruscant.

The problem with this whole emperor update idea is that you know Lucas can't just make one small change and then leave it alone. He'll go a little further and change this and change that and then the whole scene is screwed up.

I'm sorry but after the SE's and the PT's so far I don't have much faith in Lucas to do the right thing or trust him to do as little tinkering as possible and then keep his hands off.

16. SEN38

SEN38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    it would seem he had forgotten his mantra of" films are not completed, they are abandoned."...but we will see in the next...ten years, eh?

17. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    The fact that McDiarmid was spotted attending a recording session for dialogue looping would seem to dispel any hopes anyone had that Lucas would be keeping Revill's voice...

... I just hope Lucas capitulates to the fans and gives us two versions of the movies - the originals and the 'new' versions.

Incidentally, is there anywhere online that I can order laser discs of the OT?!?

DARKO
    :cool:

18. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    Order the Laserdiscs? I'm afraid not DARK_SCORE. They've been out of print a several years. Your best bet is to try eBay. I see the 1995 THX remastered versions up for auction there all the time. Check it out.

19. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I don't see a problem with replacing the MonkeyWoman face and Revill's voice with Ian McDiarmid's. His performance as Palpatine is perfect, he IS the Emperor. Since he's been spotted in a recording studio, it seems as if they might finally be going ahead with it. Happily, this is one change that makes sense from a continuity point of view. Just as long as they sort the rancor out as well...

20. FORCE_SKIN

FORCE_SKIN Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2003
    I was very suprised this wasn't changed for the special editions. What was with those eyes in ESB. I know the guy or his family would be pretty pissed if the "original" emperor was cut from the saga, but he looked so lame. It wasn't Mr Revills fault though, It was the monkeys that did his makeup.

[image=http://home.swipnet.se/~w-41485/clive.jpg]
    Clive Revill: only actor to appear in both a Star Trek series and a Star Wars film.

21. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Cute name, FORCE_SKIN. ;)

22. FORCE_SKIN

FORCE_SKIN Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2003
    thanks :) believe it or not, alot of people don't know what it means

23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    <--- knows [face_mischief]

24. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    And just to reitorate...Revill only did the voice, the chance of the original old woman and the monkey chasing after Lucas to complain if they get replaced is rather remote :p

But if they did do this, I'd quite like a screen credit for Revill still.

And I think McDiarmid would be perfectly able to handle cool and calm. Sidious is the smug, gloating one - Senator/Supreme Chancellor Palpatine is the very essense of collected assurance.

25. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    Two pages and this has almost turned into an argument about wether or not Lucas should change HIS movie when he releases them on DVD.

If he makes changes to the OT, so be it. If he doesn't, so be it. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the fx fluffs fixed (rancor matte lines to name one), but it wouldn't bug me if he didn't fix these things.

And that's my $.02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.