main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Count Dooku anyone else's favorite Star Wars villain?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ppslytherin1994, Dec 23, 2017.

1. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017
    Question above.

I personally rank him as the best Star Wars villain ever (yes even above Vader, Sidious, or Maul). And the reason for that is because I love Christopher Lee as an actor (R.I.P) and I think he definitely gave one of the most underrated performances in the Saga. He was also very cunning, manipulative and charismatic, making him the total opposite of his dead apprentice, Qui-Gon Jinn because Dooku believed in the "end justifies the means." He would often use torture, assassination, and even genocide to achieve ends means. If he had been sorted into a Hogwarts house, he would most definitely be a Slytherin which is why I love him so much.

He obviously had so much more character and depth to him than Darth Maul (and that's coming from a Maul fan) and I found him to be much more interesting as well. Darth Maul's main appeal was just that he had a cool double bladed lightsaber and happened to have a super creepy looking face. He is also the only sith that doesn't have a super cheesy name for his alter ego. I love the Darth Tyranus name because it is so mysterious and actually sounds menacing.

2. General Green

General Green Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2017
    I like Dooku/Tyrannus a lot. He's a very cool concept for a character and I like that he's older so it shows the dark side doesn't just corrupt the young and easily swayed. I liked the backstory that he was Qui-Gon's(a Jedi we had been shown to be a bit rebellious) master. He was a calmer menace and a classy one...plus...Christopher Lee's amazing voice. I liked his fencing style of lightsaber fighting. Overall, he's awesome but I don't think he was utilized as well as I would have liked him to be in the movies. He's not my favorite SW villain but I like him a lot :)

Grievousdude likes this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No issue with him personally except he was under used... I think he suffered from bad fight choreography due to his age/stand in. And I also think the Yoda lightsaber fight should have been scrapped and just their wizardry be put on display!

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I couldn't say he's my favourite, but he's definitely high on the list. Lee lent some serious gravitas to the role. I definitely agree with the OP that Lee's performance was overlooked.

I liked how Dooku contrasted the younger, more aggressive and laconic Maul. Dooku was measured, aristocratic and eloquent. He was even given the title Count, though I always thought that this was as much a nod to Lee's portrayal of Count Dracula in the Hammer Horror movies.

I really enjoyed Dooku's lightsaber style. Like the character, it was classic, stylish and artful. Very old world. I liked that he was so seasoned with a blade that he could hold off two younger Jedi before taking on Yoda himself. A true master swordsman.

Before AotC, we had never seen an on-screen Sith with an aesthetic like Dooku. Vader, Maul and Sidious (if we discount Palpatine at his day job) were always presented as scarred, hooded, helmeted, tattooed and clad in black from head-to-toe. Dooku, by contrast, wore stylish brown garments and made no effort to disguise his well-groomed features.

This might sound odd, but I have always thought of Dooku as the Star Wars equivalent of Hannibal Lecter. Behind that refined, aristocratic manner lies a terrifying capacity for evil.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    He could have been up there had he not ended up being so one dimensional in the end.

Gonna say something very controversial. Vader was my favorite star wars villain. I know. I know. Crazy. Kylo had some great potential, but like Dooku, it was all for naught

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He's definitely one of my favourite, and perhaps the most relatable villain. Perfectly portrayed by the great Sir Christopher Lee along with some iconic and memorable action sequences.

7. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    Not my favourite but he's right up there. Sir Christopher Lee reading out his shopping list would be compelling viewing!

8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I wouldn't say he's my favourite but he's very underrated. I prefer him over Darth Maul personally as I like his style and grace.

Also I love these scenes.

whostheBossk and Master_Lok like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He’s definitely up there. Mostly because Christopher Lee was such a good actor

Dagobahsystem and Raquel like this.
  10. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I like Dooku. I like all the Sith Lords, actually.

11. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    My problem with Dooku:

If you take his on screen character, then you possibly have somebody that might have embraced the Sith *lifestyle* as a means to an end. Dooku was disillusioned with the state of the Republic and the Order. As an idealist, he tried for most of his life to effect change from within until it became obvious things were getting worse instead of better. So he took a drastic step with the a possible intent to betray the Sith Order once the Republic and Order leadership had been shaken until it was reformed into a more idealistic response.

If you take his novelization character, he's just an autistic jerk that finds other living beings inferior and in need of authoritarian rule.

If you take either, they are both gullible to the point of parody. But the on screen Dooku had interesting motives lurking in the background.

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh, I've got it the other way around. I like Dooku far more from the novels (mostly Dark Rendezvous obviously) than from what I saw on-screen.

13. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm talking specifically the Revenge of the Sith novelization. He's just the "they're all ants" serial killer in that one.

14. williamjj666

williamjj666 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 8, 2016
    Dooku was a great villain, unfortunately held back by the weakest of the PT movies. But both vader is OT and Palpatine in the PT are ahead for me

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    From the movies alone, I interpreted the other way around. He was indeed disillusioned with the Republic (and the Jedi for being tied to it). But him becoming a Sith was not a mere means to an end. He believed in the Sith promise of power and to make things how he saw fit. To him, his disillusionment, idealism and the Sith way complemented each other.

16. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    He's Good, Not my Favourite, I think he probably should have been used from Episode 1 instead of Maul.

whostheBossk and Darth Downunder like this.
  17. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yeah I have noticed novels like to reduce villains to masochistic sociopaths. I find it quite boring actually and not very original.

Loved Dooku in the movies, second fave villain.

Snoke/Palps being joint first :)

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    He's played by Sir Christopher Lee, so that alone makes him legendary for me.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I agree, the novelization version of the character is a weird interpretation that doesn't jibe at all with his screen portrayal. I think Dooku really was a political idealist, someone who was once genuinely noble. In fact, his noble character still manages to shine through on occasion even in the midst of his evil: his acclamation of Windu's gallantry in the arena, his offer of mercy to the prisoners, his gentlemanly way of saluting his opponents before a duel and always giving them a chance to draw their swords, the stoic way he accepts his failure and impending death while refusing to beg or give his master away. He may want to ultimately rule the galaxy and enslave all its inhabitants to his will for their own good, but he's a class act while doing it.

20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    From the movies, he is just below Vader for me. I love Christopher Lee and thought Dooku was a very good villain. I wanted more.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I think he should've been introduced earlier. Padme somehow thinks he's behind the assassination attempt however we don't even meet him until half way through.

Master_Lok and whostheBossk like this.
  22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Just remembering back then I can think and say Maul's appeal was that he could actually fight, the physicality & action he brought to the screen was not done before in SW and not replicated as good since with or without the use of CGI. The aggressive and mysterious look of the character that competed with Darth Vader's as best. Plus he had an overall sinister cool& calm demeanor and a voice that matched. Plus Maul had the best music in the film and in SW imo, such as Duel of Fates and his own Sith chants/Enter Maul and the Sith spacecraft themes.

Dooku was an overall boring and dull character and seemed a stand in for the Emperor/Sidious and he basically played that in the films. I liked Dooku though but did not appreciate that he was basically just a cheap imitation Jackson's use of the Saruman character and waste of a good character actor both times around. I think Lee's finest performance as Dooku aside from some scenes in AOTC was in the TCW film for some reason. In ROTS they completed dropped the ball.

Maul held up very well to the present.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hard to beat Sidious, but Dooku is a great character. The screen presence of Lee is undeniable, of course, but conceptually I like how the character contrasts with the other apprentices. Where Maul is almost like a demonic presence, Dooku exhibited a practical, human side to the Sith, further developing the idea of Palpatine's plan merging into everyday society. Darth Tyranus seems like a name more than a separate, face of evil persona, which serves to bring the Sith idea closer to Anakin rather than solely making it a case of Anakin moving towards the Sith. So the apprentice project goes from demonic rage in TPM, to cool, practical human opportunity in AOTC, and finally to something of a combination of the two in ROTS, with Anakin's human needs warped to a point where he becomes a monster. Dooku is a crucial piece to the overall arc.

Libs and whostheBossk like this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    To me he’s a bit like Qui-Gon. Both characters aren’t well written but they’re elevated by the presence & ability of the actors who play them.

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    What pains me is that Lucas obviously didn't have the Dooku character created by the mid-'90s, when he was writing Ep I
    It would have been AWESOME to see Christopher Lee in Ep I's Council, defending Qui-Gon against Yoda and Mace Windu, already thinking about leaving the Jedi altogether

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018