main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Count Dooku really that evil?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I know he is a Sith and that makes him evil, but is he really twisted evil?

I mean he has/had no grudges against anyone, he was just a political idealist who disliked corruption in the Republic. Did he become evil with good intentions? Could Sidious have persuaded him that if he joined him he could end corruption, like how he got Anakin to join him by saying he could teach Anakin on how to save Padmé?

[face_thinking]

2. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    i think he was very evil. trying to make the jedi look like murderers.

3. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    A political idealist? He allied himself with the organizations that spread corruption in the Republic. He wasn't trying to clean up Coruscant. Please, all of that was pure propaganda.

4. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Dooku was probably promised a huge role in the restructered Empire and that the Dark Side was the only way to achieve that Empire so he went Dark. So he wasn't evil, he was in it for the power and money. :p

5. Master_Optician

Master_Optician Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2009
    All Sith are evil.

6. ArBeater

ArBeater Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2010
    I think Dooku was deluded and arrogant. He may have convinced himself the Republic was corrupt and evil, but then he is just a hypocrite.

Remember Greivous, or should I say: Qymaen jai Sheelal?

7. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Which brings up another point. How could anyone in the Star Wars galaxy explain him away? Granted Star Wars is set in a crapsack world filled with idiots, but with this butcher running around, making the case for the Separatists as the better side would be quite difficult.

8. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Dooku alligned himself with evil doers- Palpatine, Nute Gunray, etc. And that made him evil. He even boasted to Kenobi and his power was far beyond his own and to back down, which was the most arrogant line of the entire saga.

9. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    I think many of those people generally regarded as evil consider themselves to have some kind of idealistic driving force which justifies the means that they use to achieve it. This doesn't make them any less evil.

And Dooku's association with Count Dracula makes him automatically dodgy.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If Dooku was, then why are they bringing back Maul in the form of his brother?

11. Dark_Paoki

Dark_Paoki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2010
    Well, i can see your "not that evil" point...

His difference was that he wasn't driven by hatred for the Jedi, like the other Sith, but by his personal profit and benefit...

He wasn't a "traditional" enemy of the Jedi, I think he even underestimated them....After all, he is just a selfish man trying to gain whatever he can...

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Dooku alligned himself with evil doers- Palpatine, Nute Gunray, etc. And that made him evil.

A lot of decent people either joined or became sympathetic toward the Separatists movement. Even Padme ended up expressing sympathy toward the Separatists. That did not make her some figure of one-dimensional evil.

Nor do I believe that Count Dooku was one-dimensionally evil. I think his faith in the Republic and even the Jedi began to disappear around the time of Qui-Gon's death. Palpatine took advantage of that lack of faith and convinced him that as a Sith lord, he could make a bigger difference for the Republic.

I would be curious to learn how and why Palpatine aligned himself with the Sith.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Greed.

Palpatine is the Gordon Ghecko of Star Wars.

14. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    I'd be curious to know about Palpatine's Sith origins too. Presumably Darth Maul was pretty much raised Sith, so he knew nothing else? Dooku, like Anakin, presumably saw the dark side originally as a means to an end. In Anakin's case, saving the life of the woman he loved. In Dooku's case, perhaps he felt that it was a vehicle through which he could exercise his "political idealism". With Anakin, you can at least say that he was being manipulated by the most evil genius in the galaxy from childhood, but for Dooku, he went in with his eyes wide open. He was an educated, worldly man with decades of experience as a Jedi. For me, all of that makes him even more evil in deciding to turn to the dark side, irrespective of his own belief in the worthiness of his ambitions.

15. Dark_Paoki

Dark_Paoki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2010
    Hmmmm....I can't imagine Charlie Sheen in the Vader suit....[face_laugh]

16. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    Lunch is for wimps ... and people who don't have a seared esophagus.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If we believe the ROTS novel, Dooku was something of a closet sociopath to begin with.

18. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    You get a lot of that with the aristocracy.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm glad I didn't spoil your laugh, Fenn.
    I was going to FIX your post with:
    Its more like, "...Dooku was a pompous jackwagon to begin with."

But I was laughing too hard @ GB, so I closed the window.

21. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Dooku was evil in the same way Tarkin was evil and the same way that people like Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin were evil.

Willing to sentence millions, or in the star wars universe billions, to death in order to further his own selfish delusional goals.

22. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000

While we didn't see Dooku outright kill anyone, the fact remains he made life harder for the Jedi, who were trying their best to keep order in the galaxy. While systems left the Republic and joined the Separatists, he joined forces with a Dark Lord of the Sith that was indirectly responsible for Qui-Gon Jinn's death. Obi-Wan was right. Dooku was a traitor. And he was evil because he alligned himself with murderers and what have you.

23. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    He also killed his best friend, Master Syfo-Dyas... [face_whistling]

24. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Greed.

Palpatine is the Gordon Ghecko of Star Wars.

Again, I wonder what led Palpatine to follow the path of the Sith.

While we didn't see Dooku outright kill anyone, the fact remains he made life harder for the Jedi, who were trying their best to keep order in the galaxy. While systems left the Republic and joined the Separatists, he joined forces with a Dark Lord of the Sith that was indirectly responsible for Qui-Gon Jinn's death. Obi-Wan was right. Dooku was a traitor. And he was evil because he alligned himself with murderers and what have you.

Dooku did accept evil into his heart. But did he consider himself to be evil? Or did he believe that he was using any means necessary to help the Republic? Look at the Jedi. They were considering on taking over the Senate right before all hell broke loose. Both Yoda and Mace tried to outright kill Palpatine in cold blood, because they thought they were doing the right thing. Anakin was willing to become a Sith Lord in order to save Padme.

Looking at the PT, it seemed a good number of characters were willing to condone or commit questionable or evil acts for the sake of "the greater good". And a lot of evil has occurred in this world, due to people believing they are acting on behalf of "the greater good".

25. SW_Rogue_7

SW_Rogue_7 Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2010
    Dooku's motivations aren't clear at all, in terms of why he joined Sidious. Just a generic notion of corruption isn't enough to explain the clones, vast numbers of seperatist worlds waging war against the Republic etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.