main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Count Dooku Under Appreciated?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AstroDroid88, Jul 8, 2016.

?

Is Count Dooku Under Appreciated?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Not sure yet

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    I kinda get the feeling that Count Dooku is not everyone's favorite Sith Lord. Is it just me or does he go under appreciated throughout the Clone Wars? I mean, until his timely death in ROTS, he is the leader of the Droid Army as well as a Sith Lord. A leader & an apprentice. It has taken me a while but I would say that I find Dooku a little more appealing.

Thoughts?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, yes I guess.

Especially when it comes to kids, I don't think he's going to be appreciated at all. I grew up on the OT and for me it was Boba Fett, for others it's Darth Maul, but there's something about the aesthetics of a lot of the villains that appeals to the younger audiences. Dooku didn't have any kind of exciting appearance. I think if I had been a kid when AOTC had come out, I might have found him boring and been a bigger fan of Jango. As I get older I guess I'm more indifferent to him. He's not as exciting as Vader or Palpatine, but there's nothing wrong with him.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
  4. AstroDroid88

Jan 30, 2016
    Ya, he's definitely not as flashy as Maul or Vader so that's why he doesn't get all the attention. He's just some old Sith Lord with a crooked lightsaber. Where's the appeal to the younger audience in that? He's definitely someone you can only appreciate when you get older. He's the more serious one, he doesn't play games

5. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Hell yeah. Count Dooku is my all time favorite Sith Lord. He needs a lot more love.

7. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    To me Count Dooku is more interesting than Maul.
    Don't care for all his portrayals in TCW or EU stuff much.

I like Christopher Lee was chosen to play him.
    Love the voice he has.

But I would have liked a repentance arc for him.
    Similar to Vader I can see him rejecting the dark side later on.

I feel like he would have had regrets over working with Sideous
    He didn't like the corruption in the Republic and the Jedi were flawed, but he went about it wrong in joining a Sith and committing evil to bring about change.

Count Dooku's character has the potential for some really interesting stories.

I also like his sword style.

His costume looks cool too.

8. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  10. AstroDroid88

Jan 30, 2016
    Hmm I never thought about a repentance scene for him. I don't think he would have done such a thing. He craves too much power. Then again, so did Vader and he returned to the light

11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
  12. Darth Bananaxes

Darth Bananaxes Jedi Padawan

Apr 6, 2016
  13. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
  14. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
  15. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Of course, Dooku is GOAT :D

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  16. Bananakin Skywalker

Bananakin Skywalker Jedi Master star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    (removed)

Huttese 101 and Pensivia like this.
  17. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
  18. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I think so too. I found Dooku elegant, sophisticated, yet potentially very dangerous (maybe in part precisely because he was not an outright evil-looking man, but rather lordly). Not sure that he was used as well as he could have been. People found so many problems with the prequels that perhaps Dooku just fell victim to those things.

19. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Well I am going against the trend here but going to say... no. He was always a placeholder, in-universe and out, Palpatine's proxy and puppet until Anakin was ready. If he had been played by anyone other than Christopher Lee he would have been utterly forgettable, but being played by a good actor doesn't make the character good. Perhaps if we'd ever seen him in his more idealistic days the supposed 'tragedy' of his fall would have had some meaning, but by the time he actually appears on screen he's a villain. A sophisticated and classy villain, but still a villain.

20. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I agree, Dooku has zero development in the films, like Maul and Grievous, but without the cool design. He was an old guy in a nice suit. His lightsaber antics were also less than convincing, stretching credibility with that fake looking face swap. I personally never liked the idea of having old people like Dooku, Yoda, and Sidious jumping around like acrobats. It made them look silly IMO.

Avnar, KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Dooku has no less development that someone like Tarkin for example.

22. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Sure, but Dooku wasn't the menace Tarkin was in ANH, nor was he used as effectively.

23. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013

disagree on both accounts.

The argument that a villain needs development to be convincing is VERY one-sided and one dimensional (see what I did there) anyway.

I think I already beat this dead horse once and you reacted not very nicely so it's better to leave it as it is.

Deliveranze and L110 like this.
  24. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    No offense meant, good sir. I agree that not every villain needs development, but IMO Dooku only made a fraction of the impact that Tarkin did, and unlike Tarkin lacked personal motivation. In addition I feel GL botched the character, by giving him an interesting backstory, setting him up as the main antagonist, having him allude to a conspiracy in the Republic, not to mention having a personal connection to Obi-Wan, only to discard the character at the first oportunity at the start of ROTS, to become little more than a plot device.

DarthCricketer and KaleeshEyes like this.
  25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    He's The Count. Played by Christoper Lee. You're either old enough to "get it" yet (as much as I hate that phrasing) or not, unfortunately...........

Darkslayer and Huttese 101 like this.