main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is "Darth" a ranking? Why is Anakin called Vader?!?!?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Indy, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Indy

Darth_Indy Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2003
    I think, or assume, that Darth is a rank for second to best man in the Sith order.

But why is Anakin given the name Vader? It's a awesome name, but where does it come from?(in the story, not real life)

Bonus: How can Vader use force choke with a bionical hand? I thought the force was only used in living organisms...

Please post. These questions may or may NOT be answered in Ep. III.

2. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    Im not sure about the Vader part, but when did the force come out of the hands? ?[face_plain] i thought it was all in the head.

3. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    They haven't really explained the Sith naming system and I doubt that they will. It seems though that 'Darth' is a first name given to all Sith, master and apprentice. The last name is probably assigned by the master. But like I said, that's all speculation.

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Darth is the title given to a Sith, if deserving.

Why is Anakin called Vader? All sith are given new names. Why is this done? So their identity won't be revealed and so they feel like a new creature. Darth Maul's real name isn't Maul, it's just a regular Zabrak name.

5. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    All Sith are called 'Darth' something. I think we can assume that either Palpatine or Anakin himself picks 'Vader'.

Though his hand- and probably a lot more of his body- is cybernetic, Vader himself is still a living organism. He breathes.

6. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Well in dutch I think it is "Vader" means father

And if Darth was a rank for second to top Sith, then why does Sidious use it?

Sith always have their real name and when they become Sith are given/choose/whatever a new name. I'm guessing all the last names of the Sith have hidden meanings like Vader's

I think Maul basically means bad in some language, and I'm betting Sidious and Tyrannus have sinister meanings or meanings that relate to their characters

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    "Darth" is a title, like General or King; all siths have Darth in their name.

As for "Vader"...well, all of the sith names are derived from ominous and malicious words:
    MAUL
    TYRANNOUS (Tyrant)
    inSIDIOUS
    inVADER

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    And if Darth was a rank for second to top Sith, then why does Sidious use it?

Darth isn't the heck a title for the second to the top sith! It's a title for all sith fully trained in the fighting and force techniqes. And why do you mean by why doesen't Sidious use it? If you mean what i think you mean, Sidious does use it, although around his presence his lower officers or sith just use the term 'my lord'. If you've not noticed, Dooku did use the name Darth Sidious at the end of Episode II.

9. jimkk29

jimkk29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Darth is a title for ALL Sith. As for Vader, I don't know. Perhaps someone gets to choose his name.

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    "Darth" is a title, like General or King; all siths have Darth in their name.

I agree with that. The word itself doesn't have any real specific meaning. Just a title.

And I'm glad we've made it this far in this thread without anyone bringing up the lame idea that it stands for DARk Lord of the SiTH.

11. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    We will probably find out why he is called Darth Vader in Ep. III.

12. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Darth is a title.

13. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Darth is probably darth because it conjures the idea of both "death" and "dark".

...Or maybe Lucas just made it up in his head one day. Who knows. :)

The Sith are all given new names for a couple reasons, I'm guessing:

a) The name is like a baptism or confirmation; it confirms that they have become a new (and, in theory better) creature; it also marks them as members of the religion and gives them all the benefits befitting one of the religion.

b) Sith operate primarily in the shadows, so having "sith" names keeps their true identities from being discovered.

14. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Darth is the equivilent of 'Chyren' here.
    Like if I were to once again join mod squad, thus, become evil and twisted, my title would be
    Chyren That Wascally Droid.
    Ooo just rolls off the tongue don't it?

15. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I think Maul basically means bad in some language, and I'm betting Sidious and Tyrannus have sinister meanings or meanings that relate to their characters

Yeah, Maul means something bad in english...

To injure by or as if by beating: The boxer mauled the other fighter. The critics mauled the novelist's first effort. See Synonyms at batter1.
    To handle roughly: The package was mauled by the careless messenger.
    To split (wood) with a maul and wedge

Insidious :

in·sid·i·ous
    Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner: insidious rumors; an insidious disease.
    Intended to entrap; treacherous: insidious misinformation.
    Beguiling but harmful; alluring: insidious pleasures.

Tyrant :

ty·rant

An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions.
    A ruler who exercises power in a harsh, cruel manner.
    An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person.

Invader :

in·vade v. in·vad·ed, in·vad·ing, in·vades
    v. tr.
    To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage.
    To encroach or intrude on; violate: ?The principal of the trusts could not be invaded without trustee approval? (Barbara Goldsmith).
    To overrun as if by invading; infest: ?About 1917 the shipworm invaded the harbor of San Francisco? (Rachel Carson).
    To enter and permeate, especially harmfully.

So what do all the sith names have in common? They all have some sort of negative associationg with them, and are somewhat fitting to their personalities. Vader in this case is not the dutch word, father. I wish people would just accept it!

16. Sophita

May 24, 2002
    Actually, mal- as a prefix DOES mean bad or badly, and in latin 'malus' and 'male' meant bad.

17. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I don't think the though of Vader meaning invader ever remotely crossed Lucas' mind :p
    But that's just me.
    Darth Wascally. Oooo tremble in fear!
    Wascally Vader.... much better :)

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't think Maul is so much a name intended to convey its owner's evilness as it is to describe his nature or purpose. "Maul" as a noun can also refer to an object used to bludgeon, and that's exactly what Maul was to Sidious - an unthinking weapon used to incapacitate others.

The source of Vader's name is harder to explain, but as someone else said, perhaps E3 will tell.

19. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    and in latin 'malus' and 'male' meant bad

As a male, I take offense to that!
    *punts Sophita* :p

20. Sophita

May 24, 2002
    Hey, don't punt me, punt those crazy romans who used it. :p

21. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    in German language "Maul"
    means : Maw or Mouth

22. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    I don't have a clue about the word Darth. It's just always been my first name.

dm

23. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    [face_shocked]
    I've punted Sophita in vain :(
    Damn Romans!

24. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    DARk Lord of the SiTH

It's the only way to explain it, IMHO.