main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Darth Maul Really Stupid?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Jabba_The_Hutt_123, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Everyone who says Darth Maul is stupid for not kicking Qui Gons lightsaber down the pit, can you say that you thought Obi wan would jump out the pit, take Qui Gons lightsaber and kill Maul, the first time you saw the movie. I know I didn't.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't seem to recall anyone calling Darth Maul "stupid" for that. But if they are, they need a lesson in perspective.

(1) Movie characters are sometimes made to be just a tiny bit stupider than the audience. The audience likes to feel smart. (See: any horror movie where the sorority girls go out into the dark woods alone while the audience is shouting "no, don't!)

EVEN SO

(2) Sometimes even when the movie character is not behaving stupidly, things seem obvious to us that would not seem obvious to them.
    This is because the audience is given a carefully crafted shot of everything that is important for them to know, whereas the movie characters are not given that luxury.
    Maybe if someone had filmed a close shot of Qui-Gon's lightsaber on the floor and showed it to Maul, he might have thought to get rid of it!
    Again, moviemakers know that the audience likes to feel smart.

(3) Finally... let's take into account one thing about Darth Maul, and SW villains in general.
    You COULD say -- if you were so inclined -- that his OVERCONFIDENCE is his weakness.
    That is, if you think that's a good line to use to describe a SW villain... :cool:

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Lord_of_the_Bling

Lord_of_the_Bling Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2003
    Not stupid...stupidly written.

I shouldn't say that, but that last 30 seconds leading up to his death was the most god-awful thing I've ever seen. Yes, he was arrogant. Yes, he was surprised to see Ob1 leap out of that pit. But come on! He had time to turn around - with his lifetaker stil lit - and face Ob1. You mean to tell me he couldn't defend himself after all that. I was severly disappointed with that scene. Poor way to go out. Okay...I'm ranting.

No. Maul was not stupid.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Agreed. I never really understood why Obi-Wan didn't slice down a la Jedi Outcast/Academy when flipping over Maul.

THAT would have been much more realistic, more unexpected, and much cooler IMHO.

5. Lord_of_the_Bling

Oct 6, 2003
    "Agreed. I never really understood why Obi-Wan didn't slice down a la Jedi Outcast/Academy when flipping over Maul."

Now we're thinking. That would have made for a much sweeter death scene. Memorable even.

6. maul98td

maul98td Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2002
    I agree. I wanted to see a better way for such a awesome warrior to die!

7. The_JediMaster

The_JediMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2002
    I always thought that Obi sort of "Stunned him" with the force before he halved him.

8. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I thought the thing that stunned Maul was Obi-wan's strength in the force in action as Obi-wan let's go and totally immerses himself in the force for one more moment.

It's like "I got you now little Jedi...you're weak and pathetic...wait how can you be stronger than me...Ack."

9. Lord_of_the_Bling

Oct 6, 2003
    It's unfortunate we have to think of a reason for him to just stand there like an idiot.

10. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    He really didn't waste that much time. Are you telling me that if someone pulled something like that out of his arse, you WOULDN'T be standing there in shock.

11. Lord_of_the_Bling

Oct 6, 2003
    I'm not about to argue about it, but NO I wouldn't.

12. _Obi-Wan_Kenobi_

_Obi-Wan_Kenobi_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    I don't think he is stupid. Would you have done it? Probably you believe you can because you're not in the middle of that battle. You would be surprised at how different our reactions are when we're in the middle of something.

13. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Is Darth Maul really stupid? Well gee, let's listen to the stuff he said...

"Yes, Master"

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge"

"Yes, Master"

"Yes, Master"

*Growwlll...*

"Snarrrlll..*

"Yes, Master"

Yup, clearly Maul's intellect can rival the finest minds in the Star Wars universe.

:p

14. Lord_of_the_Bling

Oct 6, 2003
    "Would you have done it? Probably you believe you can because you're not in the middle of that battle. You would be surprised at how different our reactions are when we're in the middle of something."

I was asked a Yes or No question, one that I could not possibly give a 'Yes' answer. I am neither a Jedi, nor do I live in a galaxy far, far away. Like I said, I'm not going to argue about this.

Back to the topic...I don't think Maul was stu...forget it.

15. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Darth Maul was one of my favorite characters from TPM. I wouldn't say he's stupid, but I admit I was disappointed with how he died. As soon as Obi-Wan jumped out of that shaft and over Maul's head, Maul just watched when he should have reacted by trying to block or something.

16. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Yep,

been through that one twice with mods closing down my thread when things got heated. He just watches like a deer caught in between headlights even though he can see kenobi switch the thing on above him, hear it humming like an army of bees and worse still, he has his own sabre already on and at hand yet he does nothing except watch Obi Wan land and take a swing at him.

Well.. I say nothing but he did manage to raise his arms high enough to not get them chopped off!

17. Lord_of_the_Bling

Oct 6, 2003
    "Well.. I say nothing but he did manage to raise his arms high enough to not get them chopped off!"

[face_laugh]

18. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    What Obi should have done is jump out of the pit and grab Qui-Gon's saber and somehow force-pulled Maul's saber to him as well.

Maul just standing there looking confused was pretty dumb.

Or perhaps Maul didn't realize Obi force-pulled the lightsaber to him and therefore thought an unarmed Jedi wasn't any threat.

I dunno. :_|

19. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    ROFLMAO CeeJay! [face_laugh]

20. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I wouldn't say Darth Maul was actually stupid. That's a little harsh. But he was foolish thinking he could take on two Jedi. It's been three years since TPM came out and for the life of me I still can't figure out why he thought he was so good he could get away with it. It proved to be suicide...

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    To be fair, its not like he had a choice, once they were already there with their lightsabers ignited. Its not likely that he knew there would be any Jedi at all. Further, seeing as how he was nearly able to defeat them both (and on any other given day actually would have, beased on what we saw) I don't see that as so much the issue.

But one must wonder what he was doing standing in the middle of a well-lit hallway with a cloak on. . .

How many hours was he there before someone actually came by, do you suppose?

22. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    Maybe played Monopoly with Sidious until the Jedi and Sidious went "BAM!" and poofed away. Anyway,I don't think Maul was dumb just...shocked.

23. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Grand moff jawa-

I think the latter is the reason why Maul died this way.

24. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I really didn't want to see Dart Maul go out the way he did too. It just wasn't right.

25. maul98td

maul98td Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2002
    Lurking Around,you are saying he is stupid because he did not speak alot? Wisdom is shown by not opening your trap until there is need to. Take Jar-Jar for example, then tell me Maul is stupid for keeping quiet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.