main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Darth Maul Really Stupid?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Jabba_The_Hutt_123, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_of_the_Bling

Lord_of_the_Bling Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2003
    Wow, the thread that wouldn't die.

Maul was in no way, shape or form stupid. He displayed superb tactical fighting prowess up until his death. He totally mastered the tactic of divide and conquer. He knew Qui Gonn was the immediate threat, so he continually kicked and coerced Obi1 out of the fight. He used this to separate the two so that one could be easily defeated. He was successful to the point of brilliance in his tactics. This is why his death pains me so to look at it. I've said this before in other threads, and I'm saying it again: Absolutely nothing leading up to that point suggests such an annoying and inept death sequence for Darth Maul. He defeated a Jedi Master...handily. Why such an anti-climactic death at the hands of a padawan?

He was not stupid. He was the victim of bad writing and story progression syndrome. Watch out! It might be contagious.

P.S. Using his "youth and arrogance" as an excuse is just a quick out. Save it.

2. jarjarmustdie992004

jarjarmustdie992004 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2004
    yes and jar jar must die

3. Bastila--Shan

Bastila--Shan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't think Darth Maul stupid.

and I agree with Darth_Poutine that they did not no how to end either fight.

4. Bastila--Shan

Bastila--Shan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    So ture oODarthWadeOo

5. LordTennyson

LordTennyson Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2004
    this is the Mother-of-all-Sith-Conspiracy-Theories: what if Darth Sidious sent Darth Maul on a semi-suicide mission? what i mean by "semi-suicide" is that Sidious instructed Maul to make QG JINN his main target and that once QGJ is killed Maul's orders are to then kill Obi-Wan. Sidious could order Maul to do this and need-not give him a full explanation, after all Sidious is the Master. If Sidious is really as tuned-in as he appears to be, then it seems logical to assume that he would prefer that Anakin be trained by Obi-Wan than QGJINN. Sidious would be correct in assuming that Anakin could be "turned" to the dark side easier without the benefit of having been trained by QGJINN. Now, here's the real speculative part of my theory: If you look closely at the scene immediately prior to Maul mortally wounding QGJ, you will hear a sound... somewhat like a whisper, followed immediately by a look of confusiuon on QGJINN's face (It's there, believe me). Could Sidious have taught Maul how to momentarily distract QGJINN just long enough to distract him so that Maul would gain an advantage? Sidious could have provided Maul with a way in which QCJinn could be distracted. Once QGJINN is dead, Sidious'goal is met= Anikan will not be trained by JINN. Maul was definately caught off-guard by OBI-WAN's moves, or perhaps OBI-WAN used a little bit of anger to motivate himself which the Jedi are not supposed to use and therefore would not be anticipated by the Sith Apprentice. Palpatine just seems too happy at the end of TPM, extending congratulations to OBI-WAN and telling Anakin that his career will closely watched. Perhaps everything is occuring as he has forseen. OK. I'm ready for the criticism...thanks for your patience in reading this.

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Darth Maul it a total incompetent.
    Think about it.

He fails to locat a chrome-plate ship in the middle of a desert planet with 2 suns.

Gee, did it occur to him to wait for the Jedi & everyone else to get aboard the ship, then blast it to pieces from his own? Boy, that would have saved a lot of time, and killed the Jedi. OK, maybe he was supposed to take the Queen alive, so that wouldn't have worked.

THe job of the writer is not just to tell a story. The writer must tell the story in such a way that all of the characters remain in character, act only on information that they have, and show the audience how the characters come to understand the situation. In that regard, Lucas failed repeatedly with Maul. There is no explanation for how Maul knows the Jedi are on Tatooine, no explanation for how he found QGJ, no explanation for the character's motivations, and little point to the character existing, except as a token bad guy.

I also think that the fight choreography is mediocre at best. Lucas should have swallowed his pride and paid whatever it took to get Bob Anderson back.

7. Lord_Moosewraith

Lord_Moosewraith Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2003
    Oh no! not stupid at all! Darth Maul was the highlight of that movie. I think that the director of the movie could have done a better job. I'm not certain if I am the only one who thinks so, but I found the movie to be a bit more suitable for the younger audiences. I read the book before I saw the movie and I was thrilled with the story. Some of my enthusiasm died out when I saw the movie. (And I am going a bit off the subject).

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yes, Lucas is a lousy director. He should have turned the whole project over to someone else, and just kept veto/over-ride power.
    TPM is poorly executed in many respects, and Darth Maul is but one of them.

9. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Yes, Lucas is a lousy director. He should have turned the whole project over to someone else, and just kept veto/over-ride power.
    TPM is poorly executed in many respects, and Darth Maul is but one of them.

[face_shocked] I don't know whether to [face_laugh] or to :_|.

[face_mischief]

10. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
  11. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    I actually thought Obi-Wan's move was pretty predictable 'cause they made the scene so obvious, I think it would've been cooler to have not shown him looking at the saber and pulling it closer and just let him do his stuff and wow the audience more

but there really wasn't anything else obi-wan could've done in that situation

I also thought that Obi-Wan took to long to swing in the shot, I mean, the rest of the film Maul is lightning quick, but in that shot he just turns around and stares and waits for Obi-Wan to slice him
    the way it was shot, Maul had enough time to move or defend himself

but I still think it's an awesome move!

12. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Darth Maul wasn't stupid. He was overconfident, hence "your overconfidence is your weakness", Luke ROTJ.

13. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    well, i doubt he went to school with the other kids, so ya sure.

14. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    This topic really just doesn't die does it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.