main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

is darth sidious the same as palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by doom88, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doom88

doom88 Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2003
    i'm not a big star wars fan, but i really like it...so, i've always thought that darth sidius is the same as the emperor palpatine, but someone told me i'm wrong...but now i'm not sure, so, could anyone tell me if i'm right or wrong?...thanks

edit: spelling in title

2. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I'm afraid your wrong. Watch the credits after TPM. It clearly lists Ahmed Best as Darth Sidious.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    They are the same character.

4. doom88

doom88 Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2003
    thanks!!...but, how can i prove to him that he's the same, what can i tell him so he can understand he's the same?
    thanks

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Lucas' commentary on the AOTC DVD proves it. So does what Dooku says to Obi-Wan.

6. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Also, the lower part of Sidious's face is like Palpatine's.

7. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    We know from the ANH novel and Shadows of the Empire (for the EUers) that Senator Palpatine is the Emporer, so the question is "Is Darth Sidious the same as the Emporer?" I think he is the same person, but only when Ep3 comes out will we know for sure.

8. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    The problem is is that it's acutally pretty hard to prove unless you have access to things like the DVD commentary or such sources as the prelude to the ANH novel. You can't prove it by what is currently shown in the films.

Though we don't have any proof directly from the films yet it is generally known and understood by most fans that Palpatine/Sidious/Emporer are all the same person. Episode III will more than likely show us for once and for all.

9. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    They are different. One wear a hood and the other doesn't.

J U S T K I D D I N G!

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The Twilek speaks truthfully. GL isn't trying to make this a big secret or anything.

11. Handmaiden

Handmaiden Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 1999
    Though we don't have any proof directly from the films yet

OBI-WAN: The truth?

COUNT DOOKU: The truth. What if I told you that the
    Republic was now under the control of the Dark Lords of the
    Sith?

OBI-WAN: No, that's not possible. The Jedi would be aware
    of it.

COUNT DOOKU: The dark side of the Force has clouded their
    vision, my friend. Hundreds of Senators are now under the
    influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious.

Attack of the Clones script, meet Darth_Deagol, Deagol, AOTC script.

12. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The Twilek speaks truthfully. GL isn't trying to make this a big secret or anything.

If he was then he did a real poor job with it. :p But really they are the same guy even GL has said they are the same. He was never trying to keep it a secret. If he was then he would never have said anything about it.

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    "This idea of a democracy being given up and in many cases being given up in a time of crisis, you see it throughout history whether it's Julius Caesar, or Napoleon, or Adolf Hitler, you see these democracies under a lot of pressure, in a crisis situation, who end up giving up a lot of the freedoms they have and a lot of the checks and balances to somebody with a strong authority to help get them through the crisis. It's not the first time a politician has created a war to try to stay in office."
    --George Lucas

"We do reveal that Dooku is Darth Tyranus, he's a Sith Lord, and that he's in league with Darth Sidious and Darth Sidious is pulling all the strings and everything is going just the way he wants them to go. The Emperor continues to pull the strings."
    --George Lucas

"One of thematic issues here is how Palpatine becomes Chancellor. Telling how he moved to the next level, and then when you see all of the films together it will all make a lot more sense. But this is kind of a very small thematic issue that transcends all six movies as opposed to something that's actually neatly tied up in this particular movie alone. Step one is that Palpatine becomes Chancellor, and you'll see in Episode II that he then makes another step (Emergency Powers), and in Episode III he makes another step (Emperor)."
    --George Lucas

"Introducing Darth Sidious as a hologram was the way he was introduced actually in Empire Strikes Back, which was the first time we actually saw him in the first three films, so I thought it appropriate to keep that thematic device going so that we only know him as a hologram and not actually deal with him, except in one small scene as a real person, because I did want to make sure you knew that he wasn't just a hologram. Make him sort of flesh and blood."
    --George Lucas

"Well, Tarkin was basically a small time politician who was a governor of a small Outland Region sector until he became one of the first supporters of Palpatine. As a result of his ties with Palpatine, Tarkin steadily moved up the "political ladder" during Palpatine's climb up the political ranks, which culminates in Palpatine becoming Emperor."
    --George Lucas

"I also wanted to bring Palpatine back. I really wanted to finish that story. I really wanted to have this moment where he tells Anakin that going to be paying more attention to him in the future."
    --George Lucas

"Although the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine doesn't really relate to this movie - it's more important to the next movie - I had to set that up because it was important in the overall arc of the story. So I wrote that little scene to show Palpatine's influence on Anakin and his role as a mentor."
    --George Lucas

"Here with Obi-Wan we get a little sense that Anakin has some relationship with Palpatine and that he likes Palpatine. In the last film we set up the fact that Palpatine was gonna watch after Anakin."
    --George Lucas

"A lot of fans don't understand that Palpatine has a dual identity. He is playing both sides for his own goals"
    --Jonathan Hales

"Darth Sidious is Senator Palpatine in different clothes. No clones, no twins, nothing like that. Some people don't get it. Some of them still believe that Padme and Amidala are two different persons."
    --Rick McCallum

"He's (Palpatine) not the Emperor yet, but he is a Sith Lord. He's also Darth Sidious. That's Ian in the robe."
    --Rick McCallum

14. classixboy

classixboy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    jedi_master_ousley: "This idea of a democracy being given up and in many cases being given up in a time of crisis, you see it throughout history whether it's Julius Caesar, or Napoleon, or Adolf Hitler, you see these democracies under a lot of pressure, in a crisis situation, who end up giving up a lot of the freedoms they have and a lot of the checks and balances to somebody with a strong authority to help get them through the crisis. It's not the first time a politician has created a war to try to stay in office."
    --George Lucas

The more I read this quote, the more frightened I become. It's happening again.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Now now... let's not turn this into a political discussion...

16. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    strilo edit: This is the kind of comment I was trying to curb.

17. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Attack of the Clones script, meet Darth_Deagol, Deagol, AOTC script.

Thank you, Handmaiden, very nice.

From the script, however, we don't know if Count Dooku is lying or not. Obi-Wan doesn't believe him, for one. Also I said,"Though we don't have any proof directly from the films . . . that Palpatine/Sidious/Emporer are all the same person." There is nothing to prove directly from the films that Sidious and the Emporer are the same person.

There have been plenty of crazy rumors that perhaps Emporer is a clone of Palpatine, Palpatine is a clone of Sidious etc. I think all of those theories are crazy but some seem to believe them.

I think it's more than safe to say that they are all one and the same. No clones, no evil twins. But taken from the films alone one must concede the possibility however asanine.

18. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Not yet anyway. Just wait until 2005. It will all be clear then. ;)

19. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    strilo edit: I said keep it off politics.

Well I think that Darth Sidious is actually Shimi Skywalker. The whole death scence is a clone of Shimi. You see what happened was Shimi was the dark lord of the sith. Her and maul had a son and that is Anakin. Shimi had the cloners of Kamino clone her so they could kill her off and Anakin would think she is dead. Anakin would get real angry. She would then turn him to the dark side and reveal that she is his mother. She would use innocent old Palaptine as a puppet. She would control his mind and make him appear to be the Emperor when she actually has the power. Even after ROTJ she will dominate the galaxy. She controls Mon Mothma also so she controls the New Republic. Shimi is a terrible sith witch!

Anyway Palapatine and Sidious are the same person. It is no secret Lucas has announced it enough times!

Seldon

20. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    doom88

Actually there is about a 1% chance that Palps is clone, but all evidence shows them to be one and the same unless Lucas has used "red herrings" to the max.

All will be revealed in E3.

21. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Actually blue Jedi, Palaptine is proven to be Sidious! George Lucas himself has said it several times. The man may be many things but a liar is not one of them. If George said something about his story then it is true. The fact is they are the same person.

Seldon

22. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Yes, they are the same guy. No clones, no doubles.

Like someone posted earlier, it'll all be clear in '05!

23. funkymace

funkymace Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2003
    Later on what does the EMperor go by? Emp palpatine or emperor Sidious?

24. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm pretty sure he's referred to as "Emperor Palpatine" in the Classic Trilogy somewhere. I could be wrong though. I need to rewatch the films.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll go do that. :D

25. EnJee

EnJee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2004
    In the OT, the Emperor is just called "The Emperor". The name Palpatine wasn't mentioned until TPM.

Yes, Palpatine is Sidious. Ian McDiarmid is uncredited as Sidious as a gimmick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.