main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Darth Vader really all THAT tough when it comes to Lightsaber Duels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by viper_stew, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That exchange proved that if Anakin hadn't been so cocky, he would've been able to take Dooku. He had Dooku going for a while and he was much tougher a challenge than Dooku had first thought he would be.

2. DarthSkywalker3

DarthSkywalker3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2002
    Why does everybody think that Obi-Wan is going to whoop Anakin. I think it is going to be the total different.

First off by the time of the duel I believe Anakin would have already fought somebody else and maybe tried. He will also have that stupid arm.

Second i believe Anakin is going to whoop Obi-Wan but right when he is about to finish off Obi something is going to happen like an explosion or a earthquake or even something else.

That is what is going to cause Anakin to lose.

3. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    The only 2 rule was done because of the unbalance in the force that was caused when the Sith ruled the galaxy during the Exar Kun days.

The Sith themselves created that rule, because they nearly destroyed themselves among the rest of the galaxy.

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    If master martial artist Ray Park was paralyzed and crippled, then kept alive on machines, I'm almost sure that he wouldn't be that great either.

Then again I could be wrong.

5. JediNTraining

JediNTraining Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    DarthSkywalker, we think this because of the line in ANH, Vader says something about how he's stronger now and that he's the master. Which suggests by assumption that Obi-Wan was the master the time before, probably winning.

JediNTraining

6. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Viper Stew you must realise that Vader is so powerful that he doesn't even need a lightsaber.Remember in AOTC when all the Jedi are deflecting blaster fire,even Mace Windu the so called "second baddest Jedi in the galaxy".If you remember in ESB Vader deflects Han Solo's blaster fire with just his hands,how many Jedi have you seen do that?BUT if you read Shadows of the Empire you will know that Vader is an accomplished swordsman,he just doesn't need to be.

7. DARTH-MUGATU

DARTH-MUGATU Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    YODA: Do not underestimate the power of the Emperor.

I don't know about ya'll but it sounds to me like Yoda Knows First Hand how dangerous Palpatine is.

And Like it or Not Anakin is the Chosen one. Just like I don't like how people were suckered in by the Matrix (hook line and sinker), we all have to deal with it. Anakin is the Chosen one (can't be argued), He does bring balance to the Force (can't be argued because god himself GL said he did). Doesn't matter how the OT fight scenes looked like compared to the new ones because in the End Vader is the strongest. Backflips or not, Vader is the strongest. Mechanical body or not it doesn't matter because (repeat after me) Vader is the Strongest.

No matter how you analyze it, no matter what angle your comming from- one thing is certain. Vader is the strongest. Don't like Midichlorians? Set Blasters for tough cookies because (in unison) Vader is the Strongest.

[face_devil]

8. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    I think the Matrix is throwing some of you guys off track. Just because Anakin is "the chosen one" it does not mean that he has to be the most powerful. Don't let the fact that Vader shows occasional signs of weakness ruin the movies for you. Being "the chosen one" simply means that it is his destiny to bring balance back to the force. That is all. Joe Shmo the janitor could be "the chosen one" and he could restore balance to the force by accidentally pushing the Death Star's self-destruct button.

Now, Anakin does have the highest midi-count ever, which means he has the most POTENTIAL. But he turns to the dark side and serves the Emperor, which squanders his potential.

Reading in this thread about the Obi/Vader duel inspired me to think of a possible ending for their duel that would tie together the other movies nicely. Anakin could try to force push Obi at a crucial point in the duel. Obi blocks Anakin's push (this could be done just by putting up his hand immediately after Anakin does, a sound effect, and Obi rocks back like he's deflected a blow) and throws off his concentration, then kicks/slashes Anakin who falls into lava or whatever it is that injures him. This would fit together nicely with the other duels we've seen in the PT, don't you think? It would show that Obi learned his lesson from his battle with Maul and it would show that Anakin picked up some of Dooku's style of mixing force powers with saber technique.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Firstly, Vader was using a different style in ROTJ. In ESB he was using a mostly one-handed flowing style, while in ROTJ, he just swings back and forth.

Second, Vader fought Maul in an EU Infinities comic (Infinities is basically a series of what-if? comics) and Vader came out on top.

Thirdly, do not assume that just because Palpatine has not shown something that he's not powerful. Before AOTC, people could have just as easily said Yoda sucked.

Fourth, who do you think trained Maul an partly trained Dooku and Vader? In an EU book, it is explained that Sidious totally wiped the floor with Maul in a saber duel.

Fifth, Palpatine's lightning is stronger than Dooku's. That's blindingly obvious. Dooku's just pushed Anakin back, and caused a little steam--as the unconsciousness was caused by hitting the wall. Palpatine's lightning at its weakest had Luke on the floor, writhing and steaming. When Vader grabbed him, we saw the lighting spark of the armor and you could see Vader's bones through it--it's obviously much stronger. When Vader is unmasked, you see where the lighting burnt deep holes into his armor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.