main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Is Disney Capable of Learning the Lessons of John Carter and Phantom Menace?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think so. Can't remember much from it though.

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I suggest you keep it that way, it's healthier.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Is Disney capable of learning the lessons of The Black Hole? ;)

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Disney's lessons all seem to have been learned from Song of the South. RIP. @};-

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I had similar thoughts about "The Karate Kid" when I first heard about it... but there actually IS justification for it from what I heard later (still haven't watched it, so maybe the info's wrong). It's not "the Karate Kid" because he learns karate--it's "The Karate Kid" because before moving to China, his character had taken a couple karate classes, and tried to use what little he'd learned to stand up to the bullies at first. So they teased him by calling him "the karate kid". That's it. THEN he goes on to learn kung-fu by putting on & taking off a jacket and other stuff. 8-}

EDIT: not defending the choice, really, just explaining it...

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Will Disney learn from the lessons of Plan 9 From Outer Space?

7. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    ^ That movie has an unjustified reputation as the worst ever, the Turkish B productions beat Plan 9 any day.
    There's a turkish movie about evil Spiderman who strangles people in the shower, forces rodents to eat people's eyes through tubes and decapitates people by burying them in the sand and shoving a boat propeller in their face.
    The production values are that of a piece of cardboard and a stub of crayon.

FRAGWAGON and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Clearly a lot of lessons to be learned from those films... [face_sick]

The Hellhammer likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I want the villain to go "Your stupid Jedi minds! Stupid! Stupid!"

10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I would watch Plan 9 From Outer Space any day over Thankskilling...

[​IMG][face_sick]

11. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

I still find it ironic that a movie about one of the worst movie makes of all time was so well written and directed.

12. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Well, seeing as Touchstone, which released Ed Wood, is owned by Disney, I'd have to say Disney HAS learned lessons from Plan 9 after all... :p

Slash78 likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah Ed Wood is easily my favorite Tim Burton film. Landau was perfect and literally disappears into the role.

14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    These characters are not real people, but a good character does act very much like a real person would.

Stories that have relatable characters have an instant leg up on "suspension of disbelief" as the audience understands the character's point of view and "gets" their actions etc. Stories that don't have relatable characters have a much harder path to walk as the actions by said characters are never understood and often times thought to be absurd etc.

Relatable characters help the audience get sucked into the story and forget that they are indeed watching a movie at all.

15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    GREAT POST! You forgot to mention the dialog full of gibberish through the entire film! You start out trying to remember what terms are for what, but then after a while when they just keep piling on the gibberish, you just throw your hands up and say who gives a crap what any name/term/reference is supposed to mean anymore...

16. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Yes, terminology can become the treknobabble of your movie if you're not careful, and it can produce the exact reaction you cited if you're buried in it. Star Wars did have some new terminology to learn, of course, but notice that it comes at you pretty sparingly, all things considered, in comparison to a film like John Carter. Just as with the music, Lucas chose to go with familiar terms, more often than not, in order to ground people in an unfamiliar environment, and it worked. A chieftan character would have been just called a chieftan, rather than a "Jeddak," (whatever the hell THAT is), and a prophesied character would be called the Chosen One, rather than a "Dojar Sodat." Furthermore, the objectives are clearly spelled out in Star Wars: find the plans to the Death Star; simple, over and done. But John Carter? I have no idea what the "ninth ray" was supposed to do, or even what the previous eight rays did, for that matter. It's a rather arcane kind of McGuffin for the characters to fight over when set against a simple computer file stuck inside a robot.

Which brings us to another lesson to be learned: Keep your terminology nice and simple. The kind of complex terminology in John Carter, unless explained REALLY well, can easily cause a general audience to tune out and fail to connect with your movie at all.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I see your Thankskilling and raise you BloodFreak, Beast of Yucca Flats and Monster A-Go-Go...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Since we're discussing turkeys made about turkeys, allow me to recommend Poultrygeist. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll seriously consider never watching another movie ever again...

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I loved (?) Poultrygeist. BloodFreak is possibly still my top contender, simply because the poultry-headed killer is enraged by the smell of marijuana and so only kills potheads. It's a mess.

20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    If that's true, then keep that damn thing the hell away from me... :p

And OK, if we're going to scrape the bottom of the bad-film barrel: do you think Disney can learn any lessons from Manos: The Hands of Fate? [face_laugh] [face_sick]

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, good Lord. I was gonna offer GingerDead Man... but, Manos was awful... as in: awful...

22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Yes! Manos for the win! [face_dancing]

But to be serious for a brief moment, this actually could lead the discussion in an interesting direction. Why confine ourselves to TPM and John Carter, particularly when we've had sixteen pages to discuss those two particular films? Why not pick any science fiction/science fantasy film (bad or good, old or new, doesn't matter to me), and think of at least one thing that Disney/LFL could learn from it, whether positive or negative? We've discussed a bunch, at least partly in jest (and After Earth had it coming), but I'm quite convinced there is a good serious discussion (done with some humor, of course) to be had from it.

For instance: what can Disney learn, whether good or bad (or both), from, say, the Total Recall remake? Or even the original one, if you want to broaden it up?

23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, no need to limit ourselves to those two movies. Pretty much any movie can be an interesting influence, depending on the people involved.
    At first glance, many would dismiss that a historical-like samurai flick would influence a movie about people shooting each other with lasers in space - but, there you have it.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I was going for that. What is the lesson between John Carter and TPM...? If you put the words "Star Wars" on the film, it will make billions of dollars. But, there are plenty of legitimate discussions to be had from looking at the broad genre(s) that SW comes out of. Some of it is terrible and some of it is The Day The Earth Stood Still. No, not the Jaden Smith film...

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I haven't see those yet so I'm going to have to check them out. There's nothing like a bad horror movie when you need a good laugh. :p I still haven't seen Thankskilling 3 which was released before Thankskilling 2 and is about Turkie trying to recover the last copy of that movie. I mean... c'mon, that's just brilliant! 8-}