main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Disney/LFL treating Lucas' legacy with disrespect?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I know this relates to The Force Awakens, but it technically is a prequel topic too. And this could turn into a bit of debate here too, so I figure it's best to leave this out of the TFA forum.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved the TFA teasers so far and immensely looking forward to the movie. But there has been something bugging me and getting on my nerves.

Both JJ and Kathy Kennedy have been continually going out of their way to state that they are using practical effects and real sets as much as possible because they want everything to look real and tangible.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, this is an indirect way of saying "we don't want this film to look like the prequels" and "Lucas was wrong to make the prequels with all of the digital effects and blue screen."

Kathy talked about Lucas asking her to continue on with his legacy when he asked her take over LFL.

Are they really honoring Lucas' legacy by continually taking those indirect digs at the prequels and refusing to make the new movies in at least a similar way that George would have gone about making them? Keep in mind that the prequels and all of their digital effects are really the way Lucas wanted to make the OT but couldn't.

Also, each of the 6 existing Star Wars films have gone out their way to be innovative and to push the boundaries of visual effects and other technologies that bring the movies to life, the prequels included with all of the digital worlds and characters. Also George shot AOTC and ROTS digitally, which at the time was unheard of for major motion pictures, therefore a mjor innovation.

Now all everyone is talking about including the filmmakers and cast is going retro and old school again.

To me, this is a bit of a slap in the face to Lucas and the legacy he created, specifically the legacy he created with the prequels, but also what his intentions with the saga have been all along from the beginning.

If they wanted to honor George, they would have asked themselves, "would George Lucas have made these new films going the retro route?" The answer is most certainly not.

It seems to me, this has turned into catering to the haters and nostalgia, rather than TRULY honoring what came before.

Edit: mods, please move this to the PT forum. Didn't intend to post this here. This is a mistake.

2. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    IMO they go for the "best of both worlds" in the new trilogy.
    From the images I've seen so far George Lucas should be proud of it, IMO his legacy is in good hands, at least for TFA.

3. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Love the OT. Love the PT. But the least favorite part of the PT for me was the volume of digital effects, especially stuff like the Clonetroopers. So this doesn't bother me.

Dewback and Strongbow like this.
  4. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I agree that it's in good hands and that his legacy will be honored in that it will be a good/great movie. But they are not honoring his legacy well on the visual side of the movie IMHO.

Mods, please move to the PT forum.

Thanks

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    There is no way this thread can end well, no matter where it's posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.