main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is DNA canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sikon, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Subject.

2. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    I dont think i understand.

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Given that the basic rules of human biology seem to be the same, it would seem reasonable to assume so until proven otherwise.

At least as far as humans/near-humans go. I suppose you could make up <insert scifi/space fantasy cliche here> for craaaaaazy aliens if you wanted.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes. It's mentioned in Destiny's way, when Danni is talking to Jacen about Alpha Red. And then there's the whole cloning thing. And that there are humans, and human-like aliens, in the galaxy. Even if it wasn't mentioned, it's pretty obvious.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    DNA, genetic material, and cells are all mentioned.

I assume you mean something more complicated.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think DNA's even been mentioned once, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, I'd say it's canon.

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd say it's canon for LotR, too. It doesn't have to be mentioned, I think.

8. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    Agreed.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If it's been mentioned. And I might as well answer what I think the real topic is -- yes, we should have an article on it if there's canon info. I shall not cease to beat the drums of inclusionism, however much controversy it may generate.;)

10. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    uh huh huh...I've got a "DNA cannon".

11. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I don't know that it's ever specifically been called DNA, though. I suppose it's possible there's some 'fresher-ish SW word for it.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

No, there shouldn't be an article on it. If people are so incompetent that they apply American governmental principles to the Imperial government, imagine what they'd do with something so completely misunderstood as DNA?

As someone who regularly works with genetic material, it would make me cry to see what sort of nonsense people would put up based on Wikipedia/high school biology/pop culture ideas.

13. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yes, DNA is canon. "Sources tell HoloNet News that the bomb also included an exotic protein-based triggering mechanism that targeted Moe specifically through DNA identification."

http://www.holonetnews.com/51/news/13411_2.html

14. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    To be fair, Wookieepedia has a policy of only including SW-canon information on real-world objects like dogs, ducks, and gold. If made an article, DNA would follow the same principles, so any weeping-worthy information would be the result of nonsense authors already put into the canon.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's not comforting. :p

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Mate, buddy, not only is DNA sacred canon but also toilets, because we saw a hold full of it. Moons of Commenor, what was that diagona eating for supper? [face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.