main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Dooku Really Sidious's Pal?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by patsidious, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsidious

patsidious Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    I have a lot of questions about the loyalty of Dooku. And I really don?t understand where he came from and what his real motivations are. Is he really trying to help Sidious destroy the republic? I think that he isn?t. I think he was telling the truth to Obiwan when he tried to convince him to join him and destroy the Sith. Now I?m not saying that he?s still a good guy, I think his fight with Yoda and the use of force lightining shows he?s following the Dark Side, but I think he?s waiting for his opportunity to knock off Sidious and run the republic himself. Besides why would Dooku want to follow Sidious? He doesn?t seem like much of an apprentice like Maul was, maybe it?s Christopher Lee sneaking into the character, but I think he?s powerful enough to take on Sidious.

Here?s another question. Does it seem plausible that Dooku would be introduced to the Dark Side after Maul?s death? It seems like it would take longer than 10 years to become a master of the Dark Side like Dooku appears to be. I didn?t see Maul throwing any force lightening around. In other words, could Dooku have been an apprentice or a Sith Master before Maul? I?m not sure what that would mean if he was, but maybe there?s more going on with the Sith than we realize.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm pretty sure Dooku is not Sidious's pal. I think it's just the nature of the Sith that both members of the partnership are always in it for their own pragmatic reasons and are prepared to oust the other without a second thought if the opportunity arrives. Dooku is trying to advance himself in some way by using Sidious, perhaps because he wants to increase his power over the Force (something Dooku seems to be obsessed with), or perhaps because he is gaining some concrete political power in an as-yet unspecified way.

3. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Interesting topic. Most likely, I'd say that Dooku isn't really loyal to Palpatine either. He's trying to use Palpatine/ Sidious' power to enhance his own status. My guess would be that in Ep. III, Palpatine decides he has had enough of his unloyal colleague, does away with him, and chooses Anakin as his next apprentice. Palpatine and Dooku are using each other, but Palpatine is obviously the one who wins.

As for Dooku's training as a Dark Lord, I find it plausible that it started after TPM. That's when Dooku left the Jedi Order, and that's when Palpatine would be in the market for a new follower. Considering that Dooku was older and had been a Jedi for many years, his ability with the Force would be substanial enough that ten years would be plenty of time for him to pick up all the Dark Side tricks, like Force lightening.

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I agree with DLM and Adi, the Sith "sidekicks" are usually in it for their own gain and would try to take a mile when given an inch. I don't know about Maul, he seemed to be fanatically loyal to Sidious in TPM, but then again, his character is hard to discern since we don't see a whole lot of him, nor does he have many lines so we can't inference his intentions other than to oust the Jedi order.

I think he was telling the truth to Obiwan when he tried to convince him to join him and destroy the Sith.

I half-agree with you there. Dooku did want him to join, yes, but Dooku probably wanted to become the new Sith head and since Obi-Wan was Qui-Gon's apprentice, he thought he'd be the one to assist Dooku in obtaining whatever goals he had in mind. Of course, Obi-Wan thought otherwise and made the right decision to remain in the Jedi order.

GO 'CLONES!

5. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I think Dooku IS going to try and betray Sidious in Ep. III. Perhaps he even believes the Seperatists will win the war, and he'll have his own little govt. to rule in.

I'd like to see a little confrontation between Sidious and Dooku (perhaps even with other people fighting FOR them eg., Mace fighting Dooku to protect Palps).

As to Dooku growing in power in the dark side in only ten years, perhaps Sidious actually held back in Maul's and Vader's training, and sped-up Dooku's training because he needed him to accomplish a lot in only a little amount of time.

6. DARTH_VIRAL76

DARTH_VIRAL76 Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    I agree with all of your reasons.They all make since and are very close to what i believe will be one of the deciding factors in the outcome of Episode III...there has to be a reason for Anakin to become Sidious' apprentice and what better way than by Dooku's betrayal??I think that Anakin might even have to protect Palpatine from an assasination attempt by Dooku. Through this, Anakin would gain Palpatine's unwavering confidence.In turn, i believe that Palpatine will reveal his existence as a Sith Lord and his plans for the galaxy.These "secrets" would inevitably lead to Anakin's conversion to the Dark Side.

Also, a battle between Anakin and Dooku would be the brinkmark of Anakin's development as a Jedi/Sith Lord and would catapult his strength and skill to a level on par with Yoda or the Emperor himself.This newfound relationship as mentor and apprentice would have an alluring seduction that could blind Anakin even into betraying his friends and loved ones.Palpatine is gifted in manipulation and could easily convince Anakin into believing that murdering the Jedi would somehow protect the Senate and even save his family,stating the point that Dooku was once a Jedi.This might lead Anakin into believing that Sidious is righteous and the Jedi are untrustworthy.Being a writer myself, i think that it would be a unique plot element.
    Actually, i would love to take a crack at writing an Episode III rough draft with this and some other points as well..anyone interested???No???Hey, i tried!!

7. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    To me, my theory, he isn't Sidious's pal but he isn't a good jedi pretending to be a sith. He's evil but he worships the chosen one and betrays Sidious to save Anakin(why dooku looked sad cutting off ani's arm).

8. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    If Dooku betrays Sidious in Episode III and then is punished by the dark master, it will show Anakin exactly what the consequences of betraying Palpatine are, and that's why he is so adamant: 'I must obey my master...'

9. the-JEDI-are-NO-more

the-JEDI-are-NO-more Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2002
    i think that dooku is truly loyal to sidius. i also think that he is just a spy (playing along with the sep.) but when the time comes for ani to turn, SIDIUS will kill dooku (or let Mr. Mace kill him).

10. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Count Dooku has his own agenda in my estimation. Deep down, I believe Dooku has love for the Jedi.

11. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Deep down, I believe Dooku has love for the Jedi.

Sending the entire Separatist army to wipe them out is love, eh?

Must be some tough love.

Sure Dooku's got his own agenda. One old guy can never boss another old guy around without the old guy who is being bossed around having an agenda. It's in the book of old guys.

12. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Well put, Mat. :p

Yeah, Dooku's no Jedi. Not in name or in loyalty. He's Sith. But I do believe he's got a plan up his sleeve. He wants to rule.

13. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    Dooku is the tool of Sidious NOT his pal. When Maul died Sidious did not have time to train a new Sith from scratch so he used a person already strong in the force and as it is said that Dooku left the order after Qui Gon's death because he became disillusioned with the Jedi, Sidious maybe thought he had enough ill feeling in him to bend him to his will.

"Come with me if you want to live!"

14. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I agree with Sidious1

I think that Dooku does have loyalty to Sidious, but Sidious never had any intention to keep Dooku around forever.

He'll have Dooku do something that he knows will push Anakin over the edge fall to the dark side, and he'll have the two duel. Knowing full well that Anakin with his new found power of the dark-side will beat Dooku, and if he doesn't then he's not worth keeping around anyway so he'll just keep Dooku as his tool

Hence Palpatines order to Luke, "Strike him down, and replace your father at my side"

He'll give Anakin the same order to kill Dooku and replace him, but Anakin will do it

15. JEANCO31

JEANCO31 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2003
    I think Dooku was serious when he ask Kenobi to join him to destroy the Sith, as Vader was when he try to convert the young Skywalker to help him destroying the Emperor. The problem with the dark jedi like Anakin Skywalker and Dooku is they think (or they want) to be powerfull. The Dark Side give them «kind of power» and satisfied their ego. I think Dooku was serious too, when he tell the «truth» to Kenobi. The fact that the Republic id under the control of a Dark Lord and when he said that the Jedi Concil is too blind to see it. Like Vader say the truth to Luke when he said that he was his father...

16. JEANCO31

JEANCO31 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2003
    For the second question : In other words, could Dooku have been an apprentice or a Sith Master before Maul?

No, in the Sith rule : one master, one apprentice. If Dooku have been serving Darth Sidious, he would not try to kill Qui-Gon like Darth Maul, but try to convert him like he try with Kenobi. Don't forget that he is a politician, like Palpatine (Sidious) and he use this strategie to rise in power, not only force like darth Maul or Vader

17. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I don't think he is Sidious' Pal ...
    He helps him in some way, but will turn against him within some time.
    I think it is therefore that Sidious will seduce Anakin to the Dark Side and to destroy Dooku ...

18. Master_Qualis_Rex

Master_Qualis_Rex Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2002
    i also think that Dooku u may challange Sidious..but sidious is 1 step ahead and has anakin step in to defend him.

19. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "It seems like it would take longer than 10 years to become a master of the Dark Side like Dooku appears to be."

It's not like he had to be trained from scratch. Dooku had already spent a lifetime being trained in the Force by the Jedi. Once he tapped into the Dark Side he should have easily picked up the other skills like lightning, etc.

More genius on Palpatine's part: Why go through the trouble of training new apprentices yourself when you can just poach them from the Jedi? :D

20. lilyodaboy

lilyodaboy Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2003
    Hello hes a sith hes in it for him self. He'll stay with him long enough to become powerful and the turn on palpy when the time is right and find out he is still a learner.

21. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    It is a symbiotic relationship: They do not trust each other, but stick around for their own benefit:

Dooku: Gets Sidious to force the Trade Federation to join the Confederacy and teac hhim the Sith ways.

Sidious: Gets Dooku as a new apprentice and public figurehead, gets Dookus vast amounts of wealth to augment his own army, and is able to use him to stir the hate in Anakin.

Basically, they trust each other about as far as they could collectively throw the Death Star, but as the only two known remaining Sith, they kind of have to stick together and look out for each others interests as well as their own.

22. Valiant_Starlight

Valiant_Starlight Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2003
    I believe that it is a Sith's nature to try and rule the galaxy, even if this meand destroying his OR her master. Their hate doesn't have boundaries. Even is Luke had not been a Skywalker, Vader would have still tried to form an alliance with him in Bespin.

23. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I don't think he is Sidious' pal but he is loyal to Sidious' cause. The Sith are always out for power and that is why he isn't his pal. He would betray Sidious in a heartbeat to get in Sidious' spot. He does believe in the cause though.

24. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I don't think Sith ever have pals. They may have similar goals, but each is always plotting to replace the other so they can become more powerful, and they both know it the whole time. It's the nature of the Sith, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.