main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is episode 7 blowing it's "location wad" ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hi guys,

Curious what you think... So far I love what I am seeing with the new film, and think it's awesome they are going back to REAL locations! The thing I love about the O.T is the fact you feel like the locations exist and you could actually go there! (Something I never felt about the P.T)

That said -Do you think they are blowing their "Location wad" (so to speak) on this film...?

Sand planet
    Snow planet
    Green planet

That's pretty much what we got with Tatooine, Hoth and Endor over 3 films.

Earth pretty much only has several types of environments that can be used... Don't get me wrong -I'd take a desert planet EVERY film over something cocked up on a computer!

Thoughts?

2. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Even though the CGI in the PT was good, it felt like you were watching a video game at times.

I am personally happy that they are going back to practical effects and real locations for the ST. That's awesome.

The number of planets shown in TFA doesn't matter to me at all. I care more about a good story that feels like Star Wars.

Satipo likes this.
  3. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    nah 'cause there's more than just that (and those three are very broad categories to begin with). even with obvious OT categories there's industrialised city planet (Bespin kind of) and swamp planet (Dagobah is different from what you mean by "green planet"). maybe they'll add a tropical planet (isn't this confirmed actually?), an oceanic planet (kind of like Kamino), a total wasteland planet (we have lots of sand planets but have we gotten a semi-arid, cold, Mongolian steppe kind of planet?). there's plenty of others to think of.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would love to see something like Kamino re-done with a real location...that would be awesome!

DarthSheev likes this.
  5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Isn't Jakku a part desert/part savannah planet anyway?

6. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    I'm sure they'll come up with new places to blow their "location wad".

7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

the ocean while beautiful is also really terrifying so to see that mood captured in a Star Wars film would actually be great and if done correctly could produce some great action sequences.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    location wads tend to blow all over the place

9. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I feel like we have to see what Coruscant looks like now. I know Coruscant is largely 'cooked up in a computer', but if you sent the majority of the scenes there inside buildings you could avoid cg overdose.

We should have a general locations thread, preferably sans mention of wads.

10. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Just to remind everyone who felt the entire PT was CGI.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    They never really moved away from 'real locations' so I find the sentiment to be a bit out of kilter with the reality... The OT had Tunisia, Norway and USA... The PT had Tunisia, Italy, Spain and the UK. And I'd personally take Dagobah, Coruscant and Kamino over generic sand and forest type environments... Besides, we don't know the extent of the 'real locations' in TFA... the 'snow' and 'green' planet may have as much screen time as Yavin IV in ANH (which wasn't so much a 'real' location, but studio with a couple of location establishing shots).

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yep... I would love to see a battle in an environment similar to the one they land on in Interstellar! Felt like a Star Wars planet.

13. kip73

Mar 30, 2003
    I wonder if Cloud City is still kicking around. Bespin was one of the cooler locations in Star Wars.

Yeah Kamino, too. It probably went downhill after they shut down the clone facilities. Llama Su or whatever her name was probably lost even more weight lol

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Whilst these are beautiful locations...they feel like OUR world and nothing like Star Wars! (Exception being Tatooine)

15. kip73

Mar 30, 2003
    Yeah.

Hey is Yavin being in the movie a fact, or just a rumor?

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Nothing official as far as I know... Even if we think it's Yavin 4 they could still turn around and call it Javin 12 or something :cool:

17. Breogan

Breogan Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    That's only if the way you ascribe them as each film has strictly only one environment.
    I'm not buying the only one environment per film motif. Or that they can only be used once.

ANH had - Desert, Tech., and briefly ah.. Guatemala (tropical?) as the launch and end of the third act.
    ESB had- Tundra, Swamp, and Clouds.
    RofJ had - Desert, Swamp(briefly), Tech. and Forest.

You can have three in one film, and there are plenty of variations and more for other films.

18. Echo7even

Echo7even Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    The PT had real locations and practical effects just like the OT. The OT had bluescreen and other pre CGI effects (Rancor?) All this "practical effects" mantra thrown out there by Abrahams is just pandering to the oldtimers who hated the PT. I'm a huge fan of Abrahams work, but I wish he would tone it down. After all, we see the Vanity Fair pics and there is bluescreen in the background of the Adam Driver pic and the Pirate character is a CGI character, like Jar Jar (real actor with CGI changing their appearance).
    There is a thread in the PT section showing all the practical effects of the PT. It also shows the blue/green screen effects of the OT.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    There are LOTS of Earth-like locations that can still be explored. Mountains. Fjords. Grasslands, Lots of stuff. I also wouldn't mind a really alien world if it FELT real. That's a tough line to tread.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Without wanting to get into the whole PT was more practical boring debate. I'll play devils advocate and hazard a guess that the OP means outdoor locations and soundstages from the OT that look like they were actually there, like Hoth, Yavin, Endor, Tatooine or Dagobah. Not locations like Kamino, Geonosis, Kashyyk, Felucia, Utapau, Naboo, Coruscant which in some instances didn't convince due to the additions of effects around the actors where the effects didn't look the best.

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hire this man!

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    so "blowing wads" is acceptable to post now?

SWITS and Dak Oolron like this.
  23. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't mean it in any rude way...and you know it. "Blowing your wad" is mostly used as a sports term when a guy is gassed.

In this context I mean it in relation to using all their ideas at once.

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Lets see...

Sexual inuendo title...

Redundant topic...

PT vs. OT baiting...

[​IMG]

DarthSheev, SWITS, Dak Oolron and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.