main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii Is Episode II coming to IMAX Waikiki?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Yoda808, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Whoa, it's kind of been a while for me since I've posted, but I hope everyone is doing well. If all of you are like me we are all hoping that IMAX Waikiki is going to get Episode II. However I wanted to know if anyone has tried contacting them about it yet? I mean I know it's just a little more than a month away but if they know what's good for them they will get it.

2. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    where did you get that info? is there something published publicly?

I'll call Waikiki IMAX in the morning.

3. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Ok, well I just checked TFN today and they have a listing of who has confirmed for showing and not showing Clones so far as they know of. No Hawai'i on there though

4. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    Yes, I noticed. :_| :_| :_|

5. Jaded-wan

Jaded-wan Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    If anyone wants to know the IMAX Waikiki "WILL BE SHOWING" Attack of the Clones! If you call the theater for confirmation, they will tell you that they will be showing the film. However, final showtimes and dates still have not been confirmed as yet. What is known at this point is that the film will be showing sometime in November. At the offical Star Wars Website, they do mention that any additional theaters will be added to the list once final showtimes and confirmation is made. So sit back, relax and enjoy the wait! In the meantime we all know that the DVD is going to be released on November 12th next month. So if you can't wait for the IMAX showing....watch your DVD or you can be a little patinet and see YODA kick some serious butt on that huge IMAX screen!! Mahalo.

6. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    I guess I'd better call them, AGAIN. I worked on this project in September, Waikiki IMAX told me it wasn't on their schedule. They referred me to the regional IMAX office in California. I called them upteenth times; they finally told me to call LFL and 20th Century Fox who is the distributor for SW. Soooooo, they decided to carry it? well, I'll be. Need to confirm, then call Eric. Perhaps, he'll bring R2D2 out for a visit. :D

7. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    CHEEHOO! The Force is with us! Thanks for the info Jaded!

8. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    maybe all my phone calls to the regional IMAX office worked; they got tired of all my nagging. :D :D :D

I'm busy changing jobs this week and over the weekend. I'll call during the week, once working these 12 hour days slows down.

Thanks for the info/assistance. I just haven't had time to work on this project this past week.

9. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    ^ They definitely worked Mac-nut! Thanks for all your hard work. Because of you, the fans of Hawaii will get the special treat of seeing AOTC on the REALLY BIG SCREEN!

I sent you a PM with all the information you need to coordinate the IMAX event including the email addresses of the people at Lucasfilm you need to email, and also their phone numbers. You may wish to call them first thing Monday as we are in the final week before the IMAX opening.

All of you with costumes will be asked to take charge of handing out the exclusive Lucasfilm give-away for this event, a special issue of "Bantha Tracks." There will only be enough given for two showings at each theatre, so this is a very rare Lucasfilm edition, so buy your tickets early.

So if you have costumes and would like to help Mac-nut with the event, please post here.

10. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    I just spoke with Eric. He is bringing R2D2 and C3PO. We don't know what the schedule is yet, because regional IMAX won't send it to Waikiki IMAX until about noon Monday. The manager told me the first showing of a regular day is normally 1 PM, but doesn't know WHEN the first showing of AOTC is. She told me to call her Monday afternoon. Eric and I both work that day, so we can't get there for a 1 PM showing, unless we both call in sick (shhhhh, always a possibility). He met some rabid fans when AOTC opened last May, and they have full jedi outfits, cast from the original molds (I hear). Also, one rabid fan who works with my hubby made his own lightsabre, and it really works, I'm told.

Eric and I will be planning something; don't know what yet. He's sending up the smoke signals as you read this. If any of you want to participate, please PM me your name/phone number so I can reach you.

mucho mahalo

mac

11. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    YES, AOTC BEGINS at Waikiki IMAX on Friday, Nov 1. Shows are 2 pm, 4:30 pm, 7 pm, and 9:30 pm. We are having our Oahu FF appearance on Sunday, due to the late confirmation of show scheduling. Our fans are mostly in retail sales, and too late to reset their work schedules, and since they don't get off work until 6 pm, it'll hafta be the 9:30 pm showing, Sunday.

Eric Castillo is bringing his R2D2 and C3PO units. Flo is wearing his Darth Vader outfit, and others are coming as jedi, I believe. Eric is firming out who is coming as whom, and show have that info tonight.

Lucasfilm is supposed to send us "Bantha Tracks" to pass out; waiting for confirmation from Waikiki IMAX that it has/will arrive by Saturday.

Hope you all can come out. If you plan to costume, please PM me. See you all Sunday night. :D :D :D

12. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Well I think I'm going to shoot for a 4:30 or 7PM show on Friday. The question I have is, can we use GMT's for Episode II?

13. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    what's GMT? Greenwich Mean Time?

We're doing ours Sunday night here, only time we can all get together, since the other players are mostly in retain sales, and the stores don't close until 6 pm.

14. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    GMT = Group Movie Ticket Consolidated sells them to companies/organizations in bluk and the the company usually sells it to people within their organization for $5. Bascially is like you're buying a $5 movie ticket. Except you just can't use it for shows that have recently come out. When you look at the movie times in the paper, non-GMT movies are indicated by a triangle next to the title.

15. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    IMAX doesn't accept GMT's as far as I remember. IMAX is also more expensive than regular movie tickets. BUT, the viewing is on the garganchuan size, absolutely awesome.

We're hoping Jango Fett will stop by. Got an invitation out to him to come celebrate with us.

16. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Actually even though it's more expensive I'm pretty sure they've been accepting GMTs to get more people to come to IMAX. However, just as I thought they would, they've restricted Episode II so no GMTs for that. Oh well, I'll still see the movie anyway.

17. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    IMAX rocks!!! geez, you could see the tears in Anakin's eyes, and the pearls on Padme's bridal veil hair/head piece.

18. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    ok, islanders, tonight, Sunday, 9:30 PM showing, Waikiki IMAX, is fan night.

Eric is bringing R2D2 and C3PO. Flo is coming as Darth Vader, there will be 3 storm troopers, and a couple of other characters I don't what their names are, from the OT, I believe.

Bantha Tracks has arrived, and we're hoping Jango Fett, Temuera Morrison, comes by. He's in Honolulu for the Honolulu Film Festival. He appeared at the KSSK's HanoHano Room with Perry and Price yesterday.

See you tonight.

19. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    I thought Episode II on IMAX was great. If you can't get yourself to a digital theater, go see it on IMAX. I think digital projection is still cleaner, but the level of detail on the IMAX screen was better, probably due to the fact that IMAX negatives are bigger. Definitely worth it.

20. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Well Channel 2 News had a segment on Fan Night at IMAX for Episode II. It was kinda lame cause most of it was them showing Japanese tourists. I'm surprised they even had a segment considering that it was very short and they gave very little info. In any case whoever dressed up as Imperial Guards and Storm Troopers were on TV.

21. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    when did that spot show? KHON only sent a camera man, and he arrived about 8:00 PM. He wanted to capture the reaction of people passing by. Most were tourists walking down street. Hawaii Film Festival going on next door at Waikiki Twin Theaters. I faxxed all the TV stations and both newspapers. glad we got at least one TV camera man. Those dressed up characters belong to the Hawaii chapter of 501st; Darth Vader is their president. First time I had met them. We promised to do more activities together in the future. The few local people who walked by us didn't stop to meet our characters; they just kept going.

Did you attend Waikiki IMAX showing? It was absolutely awesome, including counting all the zits on their faces. :D :D :D

We took pictures, will be getting them uploaded this week. I'll post when they are up.

22. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    The spot was on the 10PM Channel 2 News last night, right when Episode II was going into full stride for you guys probably. As for my showing, I couldn't wait so I went Friday afternoon 4:30PM. Had a decent crowd that filled a third of the seats. Let me know where and when the pictures go up so I can check em out.

23. Yoda808

Yoda808 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Double post. I erased it.

24. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    For all of you fans who were not able to come Sunday Fan Nite, I kept some Bantha Tracks, so if you'd like one, please PM me your name/address, and I'll mail you one.

25. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I vacationed in Oahu from Oct. 31. I found out about IMAX AotC from the paper (good thing I like to read the paper!) and I went Sat night at 7. The seats weren't full, but seemed like a lot of fans showed up. Wish I paid more attention to when people where coming in as a group in costumes, but sounds like it would be a blast.
    The lady in front of me proably never seen AotC. She laughed at all the jokes. (sad to say, once you get used to any joke, kind of hard to laugh at stuff, so I'm glad someone was enjoying the jokes). And they were playing the newest Iz album before the show (first time I heard his music).

I had a good time, and my mom(who had not seen AotC) liked the movie.

One thing was I kept on getting distracted. Like the time Anakin was talking to the Jawa and you see the sandcrawler, and I was watching the little individual Jawas, trying to catch them doing something particular, you know? (seen 2 jawas pushing each other). other then that, Imax is real cool. I have to drive 75 miles here in Houston to see it in Imax, if I want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.