main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is EU continuity going to be respected in ST? Shouldn't we do something to ensure it is?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The ST EU (if it is changed) will have big shoes to fill from the current EU. The characters, the planets, the adventures have been so much fun to read about. Disney is going to have to aim for the fences every book if they want them to be as good as the current EU.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I have a feeling it's going to be a lot better than the current EU

3. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    The Clone Wars & the Original Trilogy, two great examples of changing things right before the end and then editing things in for no reason, just to make it more marketable for Children.

I do not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.

LelalMekha and Esg like this.
  4. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm hoping that they are not going to overdo the child friendly side. If it's anything like The Clone Wars I'll just end my life there.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed, I don't really share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. I mean, yeah sure that those books will probably be better than Planet of Twilight, Children of the Jedi, Ruins of Dantooine etc but they will not replace awesomeness of The Thrawn trilogy, the Han Solo trilogy, the entire NJO, the 1st Clone Wars series, and everything else. I just can't see it. The current books might not be the best in a lot of places but I have loved the entire ride. I will probably like the new books but know with my heart that the books are going to have to be 1000000000000% amazing to stand a chance against my love of the current books.

6. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    But who cares? All those awesome books will still be there. Still exist. You can read them as many times as you want lol.
    I'm not going to stop reading the NJO over and over again just because it's "not canon".

If I had the choice between, crappy movies following canon, or awesome movies contradicting canon, I would go with the latter.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll still read the old books whether or not they are cannon but am concerned about the quality and cannonicity of the new books. I read the current books now to expand on the galaxy. See new worlds, new characters new events etc. To see what happens next after ROTJ. Will the new books continue the story beyond the movies? Continue the story onto the next movie, will some event mentioned in the movies be fleshed out in the books, will we get the back story of characters? Will they even be cannon? I'm pretty sure the Star Trek books aren't cannon. If we just had all of the books off doing what they want that would not be fun imo. I like seeing how everything connects together.

8. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I think we'll get all that. Whether or not it's quality, only time will tell . . .

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Here's hoping.

10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It ruined nothing. Just a couple of throwaway lines that had nothing in detail due to Lucas blockading the era

11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Implying implications

12. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    This is a false choice. It is entirely possible to make awesome movies while following canon, and it is in fact only marginally more difficult to do so than making awesome movies that ignore/contradict canon.

The simple reality is this: unless the movies actively overwrite canon events directly, the EU can retcon around them for most instances. Simple examples: Mara Jade doesn't appear even though Luke does: well either she's busy, or regrettably dead, or something else. The Galactic Alliance is called the New Republic - well, there was a politically motivated name change for some reason.

There's really only one major thing the ST needs to write around: the Yuuzhan Vong War, because that is the only event that literally changed the physical geography of the Star Wars galaxy by reshaping major planets, and because of where it happens to be set in the timeline, which is about when you'd probably want to set the ST based on actor ages.

The ST can justify sacrificing the YV-War and all post-dated material in the name of storytelling freedom. Anything more than that is a brutal act of artistic malice on the part of the creative team.

Esg and Gorefiend like this.
  13. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Well the only major one that matters is Coruscant, and even then that planet doesn't really have to make an appearance in the new trilogy. Considering that it doesn't appear at all in the OT, that's not too hard to imagine.

14. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Well duh. It's a hypothetical situation.

If they make movies that are awesome and follow canon all the better.

But you've completely missed the point of my post.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    This whole Galactic Alliance thing won't fly with anyone who has seen the Imperials as the little Nazis they were during the OT.

Also "Luke Skywalker has a dead wife" is horrible advertising.

I could go on at ad nausea but denial is probably stronger than my arguments.

16. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Just popping in to say that there's no way the sequel trilogy can do more damage to the EU than Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi have already done. [face_peace]

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    double post

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You're making the odd assumption that they'll make a new EU.

The most likeliest occurrence is that everything not the movies or TV shows becomes non-canon, including the new books and comics.

20. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I find that much less likely. But who knows, we'll have to see.

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    If Abrams is personally overseeing the hypothetical new EU, as this article speculates that he will based on his failed master plan for Star Trek, I doubt that it wouldn't be taken as canon.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, but then Han & Leia can have a glasses wearing son in Ep. 7 named "Abrams Solo" and he'll probably get a cut out of people using that character as opposed if uses a girl named "Jania".

23. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I'll be damned if that isn't catchy

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Does kinda sound like Abraham, keeps with the mythical nature of Star Wars. Or close enough for Bad Robot's account balance to get away with it.

25. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    What is there any totally bulldozing the current EU?

A ton of MONEY. For new books, new comics, new TV shows. There is a ton of money to be had.

Ok, some butthurt EU fans won't spend money on the AbramsWars EU stuff. So? I avoided buying most of the PT set EU books anyway and the only comic I ever bought was Dark Empire. They'll still make money because most of the fans will buy the stuff anyway. And the ST will bring in more fans as did the PT.

Darth_Pevra likes this.