main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

is eu dependable?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by kiskolou, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiskolou

kiskolou Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    I mean...Iv'e learned that EU is not always consistant with the movies

2. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    It's the other way around. :p

But yeah, it's dependable.

Evil.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In general, any perceived lack of consistency is just surface-level and upon closer inspection, things are consistent in reality. :)

4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    What he said/\

Evil.

5. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Anyone who blabs about any serious inconsistencies is a stark raving liar, a prankster, or ignorant.

6. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Boba Fett Lives....

7. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    This is a dangerous question, and the responses will depend on where you ask it. If you ask in EU forums, the answer will likely be yes - though there are occasions where conflicts appear, they're generally explained.

If you ask the movie forum regulars, though, they'll probably disagree.

Although, if you talk to movie folks, they come up with as many inconsistencies (if not more) between the PT and the OT as they can find between movies and the EU.

8. Rogue9-Horn

Rogue9-Horn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Ok, this is an easy question.

First of all, the EU is very dependable, although like EKW said, the movies sometimes feel the need to differ from the set-in-stone EU.
    There's also some EU books that some ppl. disregard (NJO)

But, anyways, the EU is very consistent, and is, in my oppinion, the best part of SW besides the OT.

~Rogue~

9. mlbfan

mlbfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2004
    It is the best part, because you can always write new stuff that leads off of it. Like i write a lot of scripts, cause me and my friends always make movies about star wars, so you can always branch off the EU.

~mlbfan~

10. l33tn00b

l33tn00b Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    HE IS A BLASPHEMER!

11. kiskolou

kiskolou Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    I am sorrry,I have always liked eu, but when ever I'm in the other forums and make a reference to it they freak out!

12. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    As others have said, there have been some minor inconsistencies in the EU, but they've been addressed. LFL has people on staff to make sure that the various authros that have written stories in the GFFA keep it together.

As for the folks on other forums who pitch a fit if one mentions the EU, those would be the 'Purists' These folk believe that only Lucas's movies are canon, and the EU, from the books and comics to even the Clone Wars cartoons are not part of their interpretation of the Saga. Of course then, they'd logically have to include the Holiday Special, since that was Lucas's idea too... :p

Those diametrically opposed to the 'Purist' view are known as 'Completists'. To them, the EU is the continuation of the Saga, and thus canon. And then there are folks in the middle, who take or leave parts of the EU or the movies as they fancy.

13. Son_of_Jango

Son_of_Jango Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2004
    i think the EU is as much canon as is the movies...mainly becuz i wont live with the thought that boba fett dies...

14. Juken_Rukhan

Juken_Rukhan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2004
    Yea, of course. The EU is what got me into Star Wars.

15. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I am sorrry,I have always liked eu, but when ever I'm in the other forums and make a reference to it they freak out!

This is because they have the IQ of a turnip. It's not your fault.

16. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    One time I asked EU to take back some movies I rented at Blockbuster. The EU said yes, but never did, and I had to pay $20 in late fees. So no, it's not dependable.

17. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    Fire_Light posted on 3/27/05 6:04pm
    One time I asked EU to take back some movies I rented at Blockbuster. The EU said yes, but never did, and I had to pay $20 in late fees. So no, it's not dependable.
    [hr][/blockquote]

*Rimshot*

18. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    The only thing I really dislike about the EU from what I have read in it is Chewbacca dying, I refuse to accept that.

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    ^Agreed. I didn't like the way Chewie's death was handled. But they originally wanted to off Luke.

20. LordJoda-181

Mar 8, 2004
    I've come to terms with his death, still not happy with it but I accept it.

21. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    eu is great, if it wasn't for Eu i wouldn't be a star wars fan.

22. LordJoda-181

Mar 8, 2004
    I became A Fan of the Films, then immediatly went out and got some EU, without it I wouldn't be a "Fan" I'd be a guy who saw Star Wars, liked it, and that was it.

23. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    The EU is really the only star wars I'm interested in at the moment, and I guess it's been that way since I was first introduced to the books. The movies are okay, but I find the books and stuff leave room for the imagination. :)

24. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    You should have shot it like the lazy dog it is.

As for the folks on other forums who pitch a fit if one mentions the EU, those would be the 'Purists' These folk believe that only Lucas's movies are canon, and the EU, from the books and comics to even the Clone Wars cartoons are not part of their interpretation of the Saga. Of course then, they'd logically have to include the Holiday Special, since that was Lucas's idea too...

Do not talk negatory about the Holiday Special. I'll have to frag you if you keep preaching that anti-Holiday Special crap. [face_plain]

The Films will be first to me always. They're what got me into the fandom. There is some EU I like as much as the movies, IE. Knights of the Old Republic series. There is some good and some bad. Overall, I enjoy the EU. Why else would I be posting in this forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.