main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is every art form over-saturated in today's world?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dread Pirate Roberts, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I'm an amateur writer and I was thinking about how many books are put out in this day and age. It seems impossible for anything I write to ever be remembered! There is just too many people doing it.
    This is similar in any art form really. Are there just too many people in the world? As the population grows, an infinitesimally smaller percentage of people will have their art appreciated and remembered. (That isn't the only goal of art i know, but it's depressing.)

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There aren't a lot of cave painters nowadays. Or people who write compositions for the harpsichord.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If you don't consider quality, meaning, etc., yes there's oversaturation, but that's long been the case. There's documented complaints about photography being too easy and commonplace in the early 20th century.

Much of what becomes remembered is a function of luck as much as anything else. You have to be in the right place at the right time, leaving aside various factors like privilege, connections, money, etc. (which are all of a piece, of course). Still, even money can't really buy doing something that resonates with people at a given time, other than sometimes providing some people the means to make it happen. Cheryl Strayed wrote about this (to a writer) some years ago, and the letter is in Tiny Beautiful Things. It may be online as well, via The Rumpus.

I don't think being "remembered" is why you make art, though. I think most of us who make art do it because we feel like we have to on some level. I do it for myself, for people I know, and partly as a response to things I see both within art and outside of it. If it gets noticed or remembered, that's something of a bonus, to to the degree that an artist does in fact want those things.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    KnightWriter - well said. I write and draw because it is my way of having fun, escaping real life and in the case of Fiction, because the characters demand to come out. The film writing/blogging is simply to bring attention to the casts, crews and movies. Of course, I would like to make my living entertaing others, but for me it really comes down to having fun and coping with life.

I think you are correct, there has been as many things to read, watch and listen to for several decades now and I do not do it to be remembered or noticed. I create because I need to.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Darth Guy I like to think children with crayons make cave paintings every day on the walls of their houses.

KnightWriter Thank you, great answer. But I didn't say the purpose of making art is to be remembered. Even so, there is hardly an artist in the world that doesn't want an audience of some sort for their art. (Exceptions wouldn include Emily Dickinson, but I really think people like her are on the rare side.)

And frankly, I think the statement, 'we make art because we have to' is a little pretentious.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    What would be un-pretentious?

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Certainly not the thread's OP.

SuperWatto likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It really isn't. As someone who suffers from a lot anxiety-related issues, making art (photography and film) is one of the only things I can do to relieve those issues. Considering the fact that a lot of artists suffer from mental health issues, I see nothing pretentious in claiming "we have to" when it comes to why we're creating art.

For many, it's essentially a form of therapy. And I won't speak for anyone but myself, but for me, it's a hell of a lot more effective than actual therapy (or medication for that matter).

9. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    If we are talking about securing a career in art, then nothing has really changed in a generalized perspective. You need good marketing to set yourself apart. That's the "getting noticed part."

The part that has changed dramatically is now that you've broken through the first barrier, you have to deal with the harsh reality that there is quite a bit less money once you've "made it."

I agree there is something to be said for doing it simply because you love it. But there is also something to be said that supporting yourself from it, even modestly, allows an artist to dedicate full passion, which will allow them a greater and more developed body of work.

Rich relatives willing to act as benefactors seems like the easiest route. Have you tried that? :p

10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I have two close friends who succeeded as performing musicians. Neither became rich doing what they love, but they've mentored younger musicians. One was nominated for a Grammy. The other is one of the best choral directors in the world. They won't be remembered after they're gone maybe, but they've left a positive mark on the performing arts

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Never thought about population control being the solution to dealing with similar art style.

12. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    No "art" is more oversaturated today than criticism.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Is every art form oversaturated... with what?

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My brother has an MFA; he used to have a saying taped to his desk that said, "It is better to write for the self and have no public than write for the public and have no self." I think the same can be applied to art.

I don't know that there is an oversaturation; there are more people and therefore more artists.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd have to ask my sister who is an art major and is currently finding a job in that field.

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm into scarecrow performance art. I'm outstanding in my field.

Diggy , Outsourced and Ender Sai like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I love you.

There is an undersaturated art form, which is the NSFW art of drawing penis' on the Melbourne Herald Sun.

It's easy to dismiss it as purile or not real art, but quite frankly it's the stuff most artists dream of.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Interesting. I'm a performance artist who has sex with scarecrows. I'm ****ing, outstanding in my field.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    If you're using "oversaturated" in the negative sense, it's an easy out. "There's so much crap out there that I'm not being recognized for my genius," is sour grapes. I prefer to think about oversaturation in the positive sense and in that way, it's absolutely true. It's absolutely true that there are, for instance, too many movies for anyone to see them all; the exciting part is in dialing in a little closer. There are too many great movies for anyone to see them all. In a way that's sad: I will die having not seen every great movie. In another way it's amazing: I will never run out of great movies to see. There's too much great art for me to plow through in my life. I don't lament that as a negative. I'm down with it. If you're one of those people who thinks that there's maybe one great movie a year or some such nonsense, then doubtless you will lament the oversaturation. Frankly, the quality level of all the areas of art I care about (theater, movies, literature, music, television, etc.) is still insanely high. The problem will be when we're oversaturated with only crap. Right now, we're still being overwhelmed by magic and genius. Love it.

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Angus Young looks pretty saturated

Ender Sai likes this.