main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Is Father the Shaman of the Whills?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darklordoftech, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    1. He dissapeared when he died.

2. Qui-Gon's ghost appeared on Mortis.

3. He seems quite wise.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    4. He's old

Plus Mortis is the force so it can do stuff to you

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    No. Father is something else entirely.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Father seemed to have no xxx since a long time. He looked frustrated and wanted Anakin to replace him, so he can travel the galaxys night clubs and bars....

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Interesting theory, that actually makes a huge amount of sense.

Too much sense, I'm afraid. They'll never do a retcon like this.

I'm fine with him being a former celestial at this point though.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I don't think so. The whole disappearing thing has been proven to not have anything to do with the Whills at all. Numerous Jedi have done it before and after Qui-Gon's time.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This theory is actually about GL's intent, but eu and retcons are cool too.

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Qui Gon learned it from the Whills because the Jedi of his era didn't know it.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The fact that Jedi had disappeared in the EU prior to Qui-Gon's era doesn't account for much when it comes to how Lucas intends to represent things. Sith have also been shown to retain their identity after death in the EU, though Lucas apparently decided against that for Mortis. And when Filoni speaks of the talks he's had with Lucas, he has said that as far as the Jedi of this era know, it's impossible to retain one's identity after death. So either Lucas disagrees with the EU's stance that this has been done before, or the Jedi are just the worst record keepers ever and suck at chronicling what's important.

"Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot about that time the Exile came back as a spirit!"

Given the explanation on Wook (attributed to Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays)

"Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else; there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concept behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the 'Journal of the Whills'."

That does make it sound as though Father, Son, and Daughter could be the demigod observers that discovered the secret (or at least the Father did anyway, though perhaps Daughter and Son made contributions to the journal). The fact that Father is the first chronologically to vanish and become one with the Force seems significant. Qui-Gon did not vanish, he was cremated, yet he still became one with the Force and retained his identity. When Obi-Wan asks Qui-Gon how it is possible for him to be on Mortis, Qui-Gon's answer is vague but he makes it sound as though that possibility is linked to the nature of the planet (cryptic explanation that the planet is a conduit and magnet). Perhaps he learned the ability posthumously by conferring with Father on Mortis to be some kind of "guardian angel" to the Chosen One?

If he learned the ability in life it seems odd to be that he would withhold the knowledge and not share it until much later. And even when he does finally share it, it is only to the two Jedi that are left to serve as mentors to Luke. It might not be an ability given out lightly. The desire to live forever and retain one's identity seems like an aspect of greed and selfishness. But if such a power was given to Qui-Gon so that he could fulfill a purpose, and then to Obi-Wan and Yoda so they could fulfill a purpose, then it might be something given out as a necessity, not because "I want to live forever."

11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I know. My point is, the fact someone can do it doesn't mean they're related to the Whills in any way.

12. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm well aware of that.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    More Mortis mularkey?:p

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I disregard the Abeloth business and think that Father, Son, and Daughter are nothing more than a Force hallucination.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    U rock Charles.:)

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Who's to say that the Shaman of the Whills is NOT a force vision?

18. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    I hope we never find out. A little mystery goes a long way.

DarthJenari and rumsmuggler like this.
  19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I agree. Having an answer for everything isn't always a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.