main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Flea the best bassist of the past 15 years?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darthfunkasourous, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Watching this man play is amazing.His talents go way beyond,just bass:he's one of the best trumpet players i have ever heard.You dont have to be a rhcp fan to like his style.I dont think any one can move there fingers as fast as him.Besides that he has his own music school in la.If anyone has a different thought id love to hear it,let the dissusion begin

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Nope. I can't say that there is. Flea is definately one heck of a bassist, but he isn't the most innovative or original bassists. Personally, I'd say that Les Claypool (singer/bassist of Primus) is the most innovative bassist of the past 15 years. He took an instrument, slapped it to death, played it any which way possible, used every effect ever and turned it into a great lead instrument.

3. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    But u can only slap for so long befor eit gets repetitve,I agree les is amazing,but to me flea is just he man

4. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I agree. But Les Claypool doesn't slap the entire time. I'm trying to think of a few songs that anyone would enjoy by Primus to recommend (give me until later tonite).

Personally, I'd also say that I enjoy Sam Rivers of Limp Bizkit. He's a great bassist in a crap band. His use of octaves reminds me of Jaco Pastorious, and he plays equally as gracefull. Then of course, I'd have to say David Ellefeson of Megadeth... the guy can write a great metal riff (if it were the past 20 years, I'd say Cliff Burton, the original bassist for Metallica. He's deceased now, but Anesthesia [pulling teeth] was one of the greatest bass solos that went mainstream of the time).

Oh and I can't forget Justin Chancellor from Tool. The guy is probably the most musically inclined and creative bassist besides Claypool. :)

5. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Yes how can we forget justin.:)

6. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Ok i would recomend Purple stain by the rhcp.Probably one of the funkiest bass lines ever.As for primus,id say tommy the cat,just awesome

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, I would say Flea is the best! As a bassist, I really admire him. And he was good in Back to the Future 2 :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Justin Chancellor, that man is amazing. But I second Les Claypool- that man's got talent too.

Don't forget about Geddy Lee. I can't stand his singing, but his playing is great.

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I'd have to go with Victor Wooten of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones as the best living bassist. He can play any style and has created several on his own. I do however consider Flea one of the most innovative producers of the last 15 years, and I think most people in the music industry would agree. As a bassist though he is at best above average.

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Ahum, Myung ...

11. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I agree, Flea is the best.

There is also quite good bassplaying on the early Incubus album 'Fungus Amongus'. But I think Flea is the best. There was a song called 'Rare Flea Bass Solo' that I downloaded, and that is wonderfully funky bass.

And who can forget the intro to 'Around The World'?

12. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    The Bassist for Dream Theater...Myung.

One of the rare times I'll ever agree with GAP.

13. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, to each his own.
    And if you get something like "Rare Flea Bass Solo" off a p2p application, it most likely isn't him. I downloaded a Mark Tremonti guitar solo (allegedly) and it was a Megadeth outtake. So, go figure.

You know, I don't remember the guy's name, but the bassist for The Dave Matthews Band is really good. I saw them live a few times and he always pulls off this wicked bass solo right before they cover "All Along The Watchtower". The guy has a funky rhythm to his playing and he knows what he's doing.

14. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    No thats a Flea solo.Its been floating around on bootlegs for years.

15. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Producer?Um the real only producng credit i can think of is that 1 band(name?)and the no doubt demo.

16. Mad_Ewok

Mad_Ewok Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2002
    John Myung of Dream Theater

17. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Check out all the votes for Dream Theater!

I never thought there were that many people who had heard of Dream Theater...

18. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Dream whatever may be good,but flea is a god

19. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I would elevate a bassist to "god" status without listening to the other bands first.

And I wouldn't call a bassist a diety, anyways.

20. kirby2112

kirby2112 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    I agree Flea is very good, but RHCP stick to one style of music, which doesn't give Flea enough freedom to show how good he really could be. For that reason, I can't quite put him up with the best.
    John Myung...Amazing. However, some of his 'solo' parts in songs are just silly. He's trying to be showy, but there isn't much musicality in them. However, he is incredibly fast, and has some great ideas.
    Geddy Lee is probably my favorite, but not the best. This guy lays down some great lines, and it's great to see him expand every album.
    However, I have to say that Victor Wooten is the best bass player right now. He can play anything with any style. Having a Banjo player sure lets you explore many different styles of music. If you are a musician, or a fan of good music, you MUST get a Bela Fleck album. They are just so tight.
    Let's not forget some other greats...Stanley Clarke (listen to "Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior") and of course Tony Levin on the Chapman Stick. Bassists rule!

21. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Thats why i love the new rhcp album,it sound nothing like the rhcp of old. Flea is such an amazing musician,if u have never heard his jazz works,do so.He was first chair in the la junior philharmonic when he was 7.Trumpet that is.Being flashy and fast means nothing.If u want fast,listen to "right on time" off californication.The bass lines on ohm(not the best rhcp album mind u)are stunning.

22. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I love the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, or at least their older work.

I've got a question for you, funkasourous -- what other bands besides the RHCP do you listen to? What other bassists do you like?

23. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Lets see,Funkadelic,the meters,beastie boys,all punk rock ie,the germs,minor threat,black flag,Polvo,pavement,etc,i really really love jaco,hes the man.I would have to say my fav rhcp album is freaky stykey with ot a doubt

24. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    What do you think of Bad Religion's bassist?
    I love the guy... he's one of my favorite punk bassists :)

25. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    In short no he is not .... *cough Cliff *cough

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.