main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Flea the best bassist of the past 15 years?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darthfunkasourous, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Too bad we can't include Cliff Burton in this list. I mean, his semi-solo on "Orion"... ;) :D

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, I was going to say Cliff Burton as well, but I don't recall when he died and if he'd make the "past 15 years" cutoff or not.

Flea is an all around musical prodigy and a damn fine bassist. I don't think he's the best bassist, but he's definately one of my favorites.

3. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    Wow, GAP said the basist from DT go figure who would have saw that one comming ....

Opeth> Deream Theater> Flea and RHCP

FACT :p

4. JediTre11

JediTre11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Les Claypool and Ray Brown. Thats for rock and Jazz.

5. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

Define "Best"!

Technically, Jaco, Marcus Miller, Claypool, are all up there, but flea isn't as good...technically. However musically wise he has a nice touch that fits the music he plays excellently

DD - Spliffing the Bass

6. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Actually, Pete Perez from Spastik Ink is also a good contender but haven't heard enough by him to make him "best". (They only have 1 album out.)

Jaco is probably all time best *but* doesn't make the past 15 year cut. Cliff was good but definitly not best.

Opeth is a no-no. ;-)

7. Obi_Wan_13

Obi_Wan_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 2, 2001
    Cliff died in September of 1986 I believe. Jason Newsted, David Ellifson, Blind Guardian and In Flames bassists, I can't remember their names at the moment, would be my choise.

8. Dynasty_Knight

Dynasty_Knight Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Flea's pretty good. Not my favorite, but he's certainly talented. I personally think the best bassist I've heard is Steve Harris from Iron Maiden.

9. Obi_Wan_13

Obi_Wan_13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 2, 2001
    I forgot about Steve Harris. He is good.

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Steve Harris is definitly not *best*.

11. SithLord127

SithLord127 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2002
    Jason Newsted, and Cliff Burton coming in a close second. Also Les Claypool is very talented.

12. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I read somewhere that Claypool tried of for Metallica's bass spot when Burton died, and wasn't accepted, and that Kirk and Les were good friends in high school. Just a little tidbit :)

13. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    He did try out for the replacement of Cliff, but evidently the guys in Metallica felt he was way into his own thing and passed him over.

Les has said he's cried over that.

14. SithLord127

Oct 19, 2002
    Yes I saw that on Behind The Music. James said that Les was way too good, which probably meant that he was doin his own stuff, and his sound wouldn't have with Metallica anyway.

I think that Les was joking when he said he "wept like a little girl".

Oh and Cliff Burton died on September 27, 1986 in Sweden I believe.

R.I.P. Cliff

15. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Jason Newsted, and Cliff Burton coming in a close second.

Riiiiight. Cliff is good, but not close to being second best and Newsted wasn't as good as Cliff.

16. SithLord127

Oct 19, 2002
    Not true, Cliff didn't do as much as Newsted did therefore you don't know if Cliff was better. Have you ever listened to Jason's bass solos? If not, watch OR listen to them and you would know where I'm coming from.

R.I.P. Cliff

17. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    With Metallica, Jason recorded more, but wasn't as innovative. If I recall, he only wrote parts for one or two songs.

The two have totally separate styles and really can't be compared. But Cliff certainly wrote a lot more than Jason did.

18. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I'm guessing you have no idea how much Cliff inovated Bass for metal. Jason wasn't half that innovative and Cliff's solos are IMO better then Jasons, thus Cliff > Jason.

Anyway, neither of them are second best bassist of the last 15 years.

19. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    What about Larry Graham or Geddy Lee? Geddy, of Rush, is one of the most talented bassists in rock music... His speed and dexterity at the bass give him a melodic approach that is virtually unmatched in the rock arena. He mentored Les Claypool of Primus.

Larry Graham is the legendary funk bassist who played for Sly and the Family Stone. He, along with John Entwistle of The Who, pioneered the slap-bass method and it's certain that any bassist with half a brain, especially slap-funk dynamo Michael "Flea" Balzary, has spent countless hours studying his techniques.

20. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I would agree that Victor Wooten, of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, is probably the single greatest living bassist. His speed and technique defy the competition. I have not heard any bassist approach his level of musical density or come close to his actual performance ability. He is amazing.

Tool's bassist is also to be commended for trying to be original at times, and he is also a great bassist, able to combine speed with accuracy with deft composition.

21. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    I odnt know,Flea can play extremely fast.Plus,its not about being fast,its about serving the song

22. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    And i think Tool's original bassit was much better than justin

23. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Paul D'amour?
    He was a good bassist, yes. And he was very innovative. He and Justin Chancellor can't be compared... they're two different styles. D'amour had more of a funk/groove sound to him, whereas Chancellor has a more developed and melodic sound.

And I hate to say it, but... Wooten gets my vote. I always forget about the guy until I pick up my Flecktones CDs [face_blush]

24. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Ya hes pretty good.No question in that.Lets not forget paul wrote 5 of the tracks off Aenima

25. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    Peter Iwers ? Don't get wrong Obi Wan 13 I like In Flames (Especialy when they used to be a Death Metal band and not what they have become)But I would not say that he is the best.

hmm I don't know if I can say who is *THE* best but I know of some really good's..

Samoth,Ishahn,Tyr from Emperor are good.
    As well as thier many Post-Emperor side projects (Myrkskog,Zyklon,Arcturus etc etc)

Gustaf Hielm from Meshuggah (of course) * I know Admiral you can rip inot me for the Meshuggah comment casue I joke about you and DT *

Dave Edwardson from Neurosis and Cheif Spires formerly of Nile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.