main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is George Lucas Finally back? Finally Gaining Steam?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by UnexpectedRewinds, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnexpectedRewinds

UnexpectedRewinds Jedi Master

Mar 12, 2008
    With the release of Red Tails soon, and it seems to be the end of his star wars involvement(leaving others to sort of take over, as he has said before), do you think Lucas is finally back, finally back to the 1970's man who brought us the brilliant Star Wars: A New Hope!? American Graffiti and even THX 1138?
    I know some will argue that he was back with the prequels, but I think most of us can agree that the prequels weren't "great," or at least have any of the magic of a new hope, or the energy, the drive of that movie.
    I know the prequels were set in a different time, so the tone is a little different, but I think that tone hurt Star Wars and hurt Lucas, a little bit. Don't get me wrong, The Prequels we're "good", but they weren't "great." I would argue that the prequels we're batting cage movies for Lucas.

As for Red tails, I'm excited to see this, it sounds like a good ol fashion world war II movie that may bring Lucas back into the picture.
    I think Lucas just had to get Star Wars out of the way. He'll direct another picture, or at least, i hope he does. haha. I think we are going to see some "real" Lucas action coming soon and I think it starts with Red Tails(break the ice movie) or at least, lets hope so. What do you guys think??

P.S. I mean, go home and watch A New Hope(I know you guys have seen it a lot), but really, the magic is there. I was watching it just sort of casually, and the movie is just magical, the best star wars in my opinion, by far. Also, American Graffiti, while not my favorite movie, has great energy to it. THX 1138 is sort of his college film, which is exactly what it is, a college film(good, but not Amazing)

2. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I too am hoping Red Tails has some "A New Hope" magic to it. The potential is certainly there. We've got a similar situation, a bunch of young kids who are pilots going up against the evil Nazi Empire. Obviously the film will also deal with social issues, especially the racist nature of the US military even up until WW2. But I hope a lot of the focus will be on the stories of the young pilots and that it will be an action driven film like Star Wars. I think if you spend the majority of the film dwelling on the social issues, instead of the action at hand, it may become too bogged down.

3. Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    I'm eager to see Red Tails as well - but remember, Lucas isn't directing. In my opinion, a good part of the magic of ANH was Lucas's direction (and of course the same goes for American Graffiti and THX-1138). I realize this isn't the sort of thing you say too loudly in public these days, but I really think that he is a great director, and honestly I wish he were directing Red Tails. Of course, we don't really know (or at least I don't) exactly how much control he's exerting over it as executive producer - is it more like RotJ, where he was practically co-directing it, or more like Indiana Jones, where his involvement was primarily in the story?

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    "Most of us?" Really? [face_plain]

Anyway, it's just nice to see another good-quality film being churned out by this master of the art.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't think we'll see him direct another movie. I think he'll stick to producing these historical projects from here on.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Maybe by "us" he meant humanity in general rather than "people posting on a SW fansite".:p

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This is just a friendly reminder to not allow this thread to degenerate into a debate on why we hate or love the Prequels.

Carry on!

8. UnexpectedRewinds

Mar 12, 2008
    Correct, I was just saying it for the general populus, who, don't get me wrong, i'm sure like the movies, but not to the extent as lets say A New Hope. And again, I think the prequels are "good," but they aren't A New Hope, I mean, A new Hope was just magical, the first time it was released and you watch it and see it, and this doesn't say the prequels are bad, but it just means that a new hope has "energy," "freshness." The Prequels weren't "fresh" because it was still "Star Wars," it was still the same world, even though it was a different time etc...My other argument is also that Lucas had to finish "Star Wars," get it out of the way, because it was personal to him. Which is why I'm saying, now, that man who brought us the "fresh" A New hope, American Graffitti and all will again bring more "freshness." In a sense, is he finally back to the self where he can create something completely fresh that wowed people like American Graffiti and Star Wars?

9. UnexpectedRewinds

Mar 12, 2008
    I guess I'm just excited to see this guy back in action 'after' Star Wars. I mean, someone posted here that George Lucas can direct, and I totally agree, granted it may not be like Scorsese's actor's directing, but he can direct even though I still think the prequels were sort of batting cage movies.

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    They weren't fresh because there already is a Star Wars in existance. :p But, per Steph, I digress. ;)

Yes, it is great to see George doing what he does best once again. I'm really excited about this new movie.

11. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    The guy turns 65 this month. Give him a break. He can retire if he feels like it. Or he can go on directing and/or producing for a few more years. ;)

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Lucas never went anywhere, I'm wondering if the fans who turned on him will come back.

13. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    Goerge Lucas was seduced by the Dark Side of film making.He ceased to be Goerge Lucas and became Lucasfim. When that happened, the great revolutionary film maker who was an inspiration to many was destroyed.

Once SW became a hit and GL turned away from the film maker he was and decided to waste his life on SW that GL became lost forever.Life and SW has changed GL forever he can never go back to the fimmaker he was.He's to consumed by SW,tech and media conspiracies to go back.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Lucas went to the dark side?

He wasn't the one consumed by anger and hatred.

15. Dark--Helmet

Apr 22, 2003
    It's a joke,he also didn't torture his daughter,kill kids,chop his sons hand off and fight his mentour on a lava planet.Fans of GL's movies who didn't like any of them also didn't do any of those things nor where they consumed by any anger or hatred.There just movies,GL's just a person neither are really important,people comment about them say what they don't like and that's it.

Turn down the Lucas defense grid a notch or 2 and get a grip.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    By the same token is it necessary to put the man down every chance you get?

I think Lucas never went anywhere. He's still the same stubborn artist who made ANH, and the newer movies he's worked on have been every bit as good.

17. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    I agree totally. =D=

He's a true artist, an innovator and a nice guy. He never turned hateful or angry.

I also like the fact that Lucas is not a negative person. He could have never accomplished all he has by being negative. He's been a positive, determined influence and I love the guy for it.

18. Dark--Helmet

Apr 22, 2003
    PPOR that I put GL down every chance I get.You must have me confused with someone else,I don't even post that much.I wouldn't be here if I didn't like him and his movies.Nothing I said was a put down,most of it was a joke,a play on words with SW.

People are taking things way to cereal on the interwebs,acting like any of these things said matter like you have a personal steak in it or something.

GL was how old when he did SW?;and how old is he now?Theres no way he's the same guy.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Oh but you are the same guy you were in all that time?

So the only possible reason why a lot of you think he's different couldn't be because -your- sensibilities have changed right?

Sorry for taking this seriously, but it's embarrassing to be associated with a fan base that spends a lot of it's time putting down the very man who made this all possible in the first place.

I might not be able to stop you guys (and I'm not just talking about you but the whole fan base) from putting him down all the time, but I can certainly represent the other side of the fence where people respect and admire George Lucas.

20. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    =D=

Well said.

After 1977, he could either walk away from SW or continue in some fashion or another. If he'd walked away right then and there, many people would obviously have felt betrayed. So he went on and finished the trilogy, and then after that he more or less forgot about SW for a little over a decade.

And when he did come back to it, he knew he couldn't please everybody, when the original films had such a devoted following - and given how much time had elapsed since the last installment.

21. Dark--Helmet

Apr 22, 2003

I never said I was the same guy,you said he's the same artist who made ANH,which is immposable as every artist changes with time.

SW isn't really special,all movie frachises,along with everything else is torn apart daily on the internet.You'll drive youself crazy giving a crap about what net people say.

Theres nothing to stop,it's just people giving there opinions on whats good and bad about SW.I find most of the posters on this site while not liking some of GL's moves,are always giving him accolades.Theres no reason for people to act like extremists over such meaningless stuff.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I dont think lucas went to the darkside. That's a bunch of pap.

He's still innovating and pushing the envelope of cinema.

I just think he didn't do a great job on the PT.

But I seriously think he might not direct again.

He's talked about producing historically-based projects for some time.

I hope Red Tails is just the beginning.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    IMO, Lucas never lost steam except during his hiatus from filmmaking in the late 80s and 90s. Say what you will about the prequels, they have enormous energy and vitality to them, and they influenced the culture in a massive, perhaps unquantifiably massive, way that is still being felt today, in every superhero, fantasy and sci-fi movie that comes out. He's been "gaining steam" since the SEs came out in early '97.

24. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Red Tails sounds pretty good, I hope he has a few more good films he can produce in the bag. Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to be doing anymore directing.

25. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Personally, I think Revenge of the Sith stands as his finest work since THX-1138. Having said this, it is my hope that Lucas leaves Star Wars/Indiana Jones forever and make good on his stated desire to helm esoteric fare. I know he's still got the magic, and would love to see a feature that leaves cineastes and disgruntled fans eating crow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.