main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Germany right to ban a couple naming their child Osama Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Pit Droid, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    This reminds me of a case some years back in Scandanavia, where a couple named their child something along the lines of Akgfewegowe199777, which they said was pronounced "Elbin."

2. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm sorry, but wouldn't that name be cool?

3. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    "If governments shouldn't make the rules then whats the point of them? to collect taxes?

Of course the german government has the right to disallow the child being named that for what ever reason they choose, Like it or not its the governments role in civilised society to make rules and laws so that we remain civilised (no matter how nit picky these laws seem). There are laws get over it, the whole freedom thing has been taken way to far in recent yrs and thats how the terrorists got away with what they did, there are way to many do gooders in today's society saying the government can't do this or that.

You can't tell me the parents of this child didn't know this name would be contraversial when they submitted it. IMO opinion if you do not accept the social order of the country you now reside LEAVE! Go to a country with your values. I for one live in a western country and on the night of Sept11 while I was watching the towers crumble live on Tv,I was horrified the next morning to find out in a suburb not to far away from me people where celebrating in the streets.This from a group who has stopped our public schools from celebrating christmas and Easter with our children (for it is direspectful to their beliefs)and then teach their children that we are demons. What blatant disrespect they have for western civilisation and what blatant disrespect those parents have for the german way of life. Down with do gooders and in with social order."

I agree with you 100% Shocktrooper. I'm sorry if I had saw what you saw that night on Sept 11 something mysterious and brutal would have happened to them. They would have never been the same and when I was done with them they would be calling me a Demon and infact the devil himself. There is no place for that kind of disrespect and in my book their rights have just gone out the window with the common sense they don't have. They are simply asking for trouble and if I had saw it trouble would have come their way. These people should move someplace where they can act like idiots along with other idiots. They don't belong where you live.

4. AOTCStarwchic

AOTCStarwchic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2002
    I think Germany is right because if they hate O_B_L that much then that means they stand with the U.S. on the terrorism issue.And if the couple did end up naming the child O_B_L then when the child grows up and learns about some history of America he'll say "My name is that of a masked criminal.I hate it" or something similar to that.

5. Kuna_Tiori

Kuna_Tiori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    Rebecca191:
    Then the name Rebecca Onenineone or whatver should be dissalowed. Maybe they should allow the child to be named simply Osama. But certainly not Osama Bin Laden. I don't think it's the first name so much that's bad. Osama could be like John in Muslim countries, for all we know. I have nothing against people being allowed to name a child Adolf, it's just a name. But if they want to name their child Adolf Hitler, or Hitler, it's wrong. The name Osama on its own is a very poor choice on the child's behalf, especially since he will be living in Europe. The name Osama Bin Laden, however, is very, very clearly offensive to millions of people, and for that should be illegal. That's the name they want to give the child, the whole name, Osama Bin Laden.

I agree with everything you said except for the "for that should be illegal" part.

And there's nothing wrong with the name Einstein as he was not an evil man.

Well I think he's an evil man! (I actually don't, I'm just playing devil's advocate.) My point is: How you see who's evil and who's not is up to you. I can think President Bush is evil, does that mean I can force someone else from naming their kid George W. Bush?

That said, I DO realize that everyone in Germany hates Bin Laden, and I sort of agree with the idea that the family should be kicked out of the country, but not fully. IMHO, no matter how much ridicule the kid suffers, the government can't step in. Otherwise they'd have to protect EVERY child on Earth!

Terr_Mys:
    Anyone who lives within a democratic state should agree to support the principles of democracy, not terrorism.

Um, terrorism and democracy aren't opposites and they don't really have much to do with each other. I don't think Bin Laden hates the U.S. because it's a democracy.

But it is not the government's responsibility to decide whether or not certain names are okay for a child! Because the act of actually naming the child is NOT abuse! If, in the future, the child is verbally abused, then the government can take action. But they CAN NOT stop parents from naming their child a certain thing. It is not a direct act intended to cause abuse.

I agree.

Rebecca191
    There IS something wrong with someone that forces a rape victim to carry a pregnancy to term, or who thinks Bin Laden did right.

That's your OPINION. [devil's advocacy on] I think there's nothing wrong with Bin Laden. The United States is a domineering nation that seeks to oppress everyone and meddle in with everyone's business. It's about time that someone slaps this galactic policeman out of his private passion. The destruction of the financial heart of the country is a good way to do so. I'm sorry about the lives lost, but hey more people were killed at Hiroshima, right? [devil's advocacy off]

Do you see what I'm saying? You're arguing on a slippery slope.

DARTHPIGFEET:
    Of course the german government has the right to disallow the child being named that for what ever reason they choose, Like it or not its the governments role in civilised society to make rules and laws so that we remain civilised (no matter how nit picky these laws seem). There are laws get over it, the whole freedom thing has been taken way to far in recent yrs and thats how the terrorists got away with what they did, there are way to many do gooders in today's society saying the government can't do this or that.

As a Democrat I do think that the government has the obligation to take an active role in public matters, but when it comes to meddling into people?s private lives, I think that that is unacceptable.

6. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Thanks Darthpigfeet.

Fortunatley I didn't see them doing that and I also have a healthy respect for my nations laws, otherwise I'd be in the middle of a prison sentence right now. It's unbelievable to me that these people immigrated to our country claiming to seek peace and our life style, then bring their homeland hatereds and beliefs and go about disrespecting everything we believe in, then claim in the Media that there is a backlash against their community after 9/11.

Ohh gee I wonder why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.