Is Harrison Ford too old to play Indiana Jones again?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Ray_Nicolet, Jun 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray_Nicolet Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I just came back from seeing Hollywood Homicide. Pretty crappy movie, but i just had to talk about Mr. Ford. The guy is 60 and is looking and acting his age. He looks really old. Seeing him try to run at the end made me cringe because he can hardly run anymore! OMG. Is Indy 4 a mistake? What the heck will Indiana Jones be fighting for in this condition? His social security check?
  2. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    We have this discussion in a number of other Indy 4 threads here, but as it's a recurring one maybe it's time it had its own discussion thread.

As for your question, I haven't seen the movie you refer to, but Indy was never superhuman, and his flaws and weaknessess are what make him a more believable hero.

Experience > youthful exuberance.

3. malducin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    As I usually asy I don't understand the aversion to old age and youth cult for films. I'm sure Arnold and Stallone, in their late 50s would kick any of our butts easily.

What matter is the way it's handled. At times, yeah you have old actors in situations like they are still in their 20s and 30s. But other times age is played right, like Clint Eastwood in Space Cowboys (along the others), Bloodwork and Unforgiven, the original Star Trek guys in the movies (having being promoted, families, etc.), Lethal Weapon (having Riggs and Murtagh acknowledging their age) and several more. Even Ford in that episodeof Young Indy played to age and not like the man he was in Raiders, so I have faith it'll be played OK. I mean, Spielberg is no hack director you know.
  4. Laserschwert Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Well, I've always got to mention "Lethal Weapon 4" in this context.

I always LOVED the "Lethal Weapon" series, and when part 4 came out, I never had the slightest doubt, that, in spite of Gibson and Glover's ages, they would pull it off perfectly. And they did, just by putting the audiences doubt (for sure there were enough people - just like here with "Indy 4" - who doubted) right on screen: "I think I am getting too old for this ****." This "Murtaugh-only"-line now comes out of Riggs' mouth, and made the movie even more fun to watch.

And I am sure seeing Indy wrestling with his age would be a lot of fun to see...
  5. Mateo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Harrison Ford is not too Old to play Indy again, Arnold is still playing the Terminator at 55 and looks awesome doing it too so why should Ford be any different?

Just have him work out for a few months to get in shape and then have him use that "Just for Men" Hair Dye that gets rid of Grey hair and he'll look young enough to play Indiana Jones again without being mistaken for indys grandfather.
  6. solojones Force Ghost

star 9
    I agree with the LW4 reference. I think it'll be funny if they address that Indy's kind of old now ;) Besides, HF is still pretty active from what I hear. I don't think he's out of shape so much as maybe that was just part of his character in HH. Besides, I think he could get in a little better shape if he wanted to.

Anyway, I don't really care anymore. I've been following Indy IV since the early 90s and at this point I just want a movie I can enjoy :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  7. skywalker325 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm excited to see the new movie. As far as looks, they might make him up to look younger than he is. I don't know if we'll see him hopping onto horses and jumping off cliffs, but that's what stunt doubles are for, after all. :)
  8. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I don't think it'll matter much if, like other people have said, it is done right. And truthfully, I think it will be done righ. Afterall, Speilberg isn't some amature director. He'll know how to handle the age issue and make it fit in as part of the story.
  9. Darth_Sebastian Jedi Youngling

star 2
    For some reason people have a knee-jerk reaction to Ford playing Indy now that he's older. I remember when Air Force One came out there were people saying that he was too old for Indy even though Letterman was calling him the "*ss-kicking President." I don't buy that he's too old for the role. If Harrison Ford can rescue lost hikers in real life I'm sure that with a little movie magic he can be a hero on-screen.
  10. WormieSaber Jedi Master

star 5
    Well, it'll be different. I thought he starting to look old in the 3rd one, personally, but I'm up for one more. Just don't make one when he's 70.
  11. His_Raw_Indiananess Jedi Youngling

12. Draethe Jedi Master

star 1
    No ya never to old go Harrison!!
  13. spyderbyte Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Is Harrison Ford too old to play Indiana Jones again?

Nope.

Connery is 70+ and still doing hard ass movies.
  14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    It just seems weird to me that Sean Connery is only 11 years older than Harrison Ford, yet he played Indy's father. I guess Henry Jones Sr. was a pretty, um, frisky young boy?
  15. malducin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It's all about the look and the performance, which Connery certainly pulled. Same thing happened to Glenn Close playing mother to Mel Gibson's Hamlet.
  16. mac-nut Jedi Knight

star 5
    It depends on the age of Indy in Indy4. If Indy finds his son, Montana, who's about 23 years old, fresh out of college with a major in anthropology, and teams up his son with Henry Jones, Sr (Sean Connery), then we have a son, father, and grampa Jones team. That would also be an opening to continue the Jones boys, Henry I (Sean), Henry Jr (Harrison) and Henry III (to be cast) into a spinoff movie.
  17. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That scenerio could work except I remember Harrison shooting down the rumors of a son. But that doesn't mean there can't be a daughter.
  18. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    We have a thread about Indy being a dad in IJ IV. Can we keep that line of discussion in the other thread, please?

Indy, the dad?

Thanks.
  19. mac-nut Jedi Knight

star 5
    no, he's not too old, if you factor in the subject of him being a dad, which we can't mention here. [face_plain] :D
  20. Bastila--Shan Jedi Padawan

star 4
  21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I don't think Harrison Ford is too old to play Indiana. Arnold Schwarzenegger is 55 years old and still does action films like he's 30. Sean Connery did The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and kicked some a$$ despite him being almost 70.

Ford can still play Indiana.
  22. PhotoGuitarist Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I didn't see holiwood homicide, just the movie trailors on TV. But I always thought they paired that Josh Harnet (Sp?) guy up with Harrison because of him looking alot like a young Harrison Ford. If they hadn't already teamed them up in H.Homicide. I think
    he would have made a great young actor to play his son. If that were to be true to the script.
  23. JadeSolo Manager Emeritus

star 6
    NO! Ford is not too old! Indy is not like Spiderman, Superman, or the X-Men. When he saves the world, he doesn't use supreme buffness or superpowers--he relies on his own human intelligence. And a thing like that is not limited by age. Besides, Indy IV will show him (I think) as an older man in the '50s who perhaps can't handle getting bounced off the walls every 10 seconds as well as he used to (somewhat like Ford, although he says he's in the best shape of his life). On the other hand, they could turn the films into a whole series, like James Bond, where you can have different actors over the years play the same man at the same age, but I find this highly unlikely--you can imagine all the different men who'd be great as James Bond, but can you honestly see anyone else but Ford as Indy (and don't say Tom Selleck)?

And Indy himself says, "It's not the years. It's the mileage." ;) Although, considering all that Ford has done, that statement might refute everything I've just said.
  24. DarthLazious Jedi Youngling

star 4
    He's just perfect for the role. Since from what I heard Indy is surposed to be in his 60's.
  25. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well Indy was a 90 year old man in the Young Indy tv series and Ford is only 61 so he's still young enough to play Indiana. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.