main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it a given we'd all prefer better animation/drawing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ZSong, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZSong

ZSong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    I'm not saying I want a full all-out top notch anime style for a Star Wars cartoon or a Disney calibur but...

this Dexter's Laboratory/new-age-Cartoon-Network animation/drawing style is pretty crappy

I watch it cuz it's all we've got but you would THINK that George Lucas could've rolled out some bigger budget animation studios............

I like the writing and the plots though and the 'direction' because they do a good job with working in 5 mins but my main problem is just the really bad drawing.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I like the animation, and I detest "real" anime. It's the time limit that bothered me. I wanted to see a good 25 minutes of Clone Wars action, but alas! it was not to be.
    Continuity problems annoyed me a lot too, and I reckon we'll be seeing lots more in season 3 regarding Anakin's Knighting and other stuff from the novels.

So, animation = not a problem
    Time and Continuity = Spoiled the experience.

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I like the animation. It's simple yet extremely visual and poetic.

4. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    [face_plain]

It isn't "crappy", it's DIFFERENT. Can't people judge things by it's OWN merits instead of by their own unfair standards? I've already endured enough of this as a Zelda fan...

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I happen to like the style.

6. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003

No. not a given at all. I have no problem with either the style or animation in Clone Wars. I do which the first 19 episodes had been longer though. But we'll get longer episodes soon, so I don't complain.

7. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000

Nope. I liked it plenty, thanks. :)

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I really didn't like it. Too simplified, and I've seen some stuff that's a lot better.

9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Yeah it could be better but I think Lucas wanted Cartoon Network to show it,because many kids watch it and I think that the company wanted someone from their own cartoon directors to make it so George chose Tartakovsky,because he is the best there.But this is just my theory maybe I'm wrong.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    My understanding was that the reason Tartakovsky was because Lucas is a big Samurai Jack fan.

11. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Personally, I cant stand cartoons and prefer live-action. Of course it is more expensive, but I just prefer it.

12. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I enjoy the look and style of the CLONE WARS Cartoons. It's great, it's fun. Artistic. Imaginative.

And it fits. :) :cool:

13. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    It isn't "crappy", it's DIFFERENT. Can't people judge things by it's OWN merits instead of by their own unfair standards?

I agree! Judge it on it's own merits!

The verdict is the same. The style (not to mention the story), sucks.
    But it's cheap, it's easy, and it's all GL is willing to invest in it.

After all, why use a style that involves effort when the mindless masses will watch anything that's even slightly more than random static?

14. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I liked the animation style. Then again, I'm jaded because I loved Samurai Jack. I thought the clone wars cartoon was great.

15. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    It's funny how people are calling it "crappy", and that there is "better" stuff. They obviously don't understand art. It's not crappy, because most of us enjoy it. It's not better, because it's art. In art, as long as the artist gets the picture they wanted, then it's the best. Nothing is better, and nothing is worse.

Anyway, I think it's simple, yet detailed at the same time. And the direction is awesome, in my opinion. Tartakovsky made star wars the way I think it should be directed on the big screen.

16. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    As much as I really can't be bothered to start a squabble, I'd be intrigued to know what the general consensus of better is.

Which cartoons do we(?) consider to be "better" than Clone Wars. And more importantly, why? o_O

Justify it properly and I may just agree. But saying something is "better" because you say so is the kind of playground crap I left behind years ago.

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Nevertheless I liked the cartoon.

18. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    The style was good, IMHO.
    Except Yoda's Leno impersonation.

19. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    I was actually hoping the people who draw the new He-Man cartoons were going to draw the Clone Wars cartoons!

The Samurai Jack character models are ok, kinda annoying, but they have done some smooth animation even using these models.

Maybe if another Star Wars cartoon comes along in the future...it'll have more detailed animation.

20. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Droids had detailed artwork! :D

;) {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

21. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    I liked the droids animation, I like all that kinda 'block colour' cartoons.

And the clone wars look rocks, my bro was put off by it but then he saw the story and boom.

22. General_Tekno

General_Tekno Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2001
    Realism can be bad... For anyone who has seen the really old Zelda cartoon, I'm sure they'll agree that the anime look works SO MUCH better for Zelda.

23. RundownJedi

RundownJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    I agree that some of you are not grasping that these cartoons are drawn at a differnt style..just like when i showed , "A KID'S STORY" to one of my friends.... from the animatrix...they thought it was really bad..but in reality it was just drawn diffently..you people gotta learn to accept different styles... you not always gonna get the same thing..it would be boring

24. Darth-Pie

Darth-Pie Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2005
    Well it's "ok." It's tough at first to get used to the character designs. The ships do look great, and it has great color usage.

25. ZSong

ZSong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    oh yeah the new He-Man animation was great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.