main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ is it all over for Team New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > Why don't we stop all this negativity and put all our energy into supporting team NZ, god knows the auckland economy will take a bit of a dive if we lose.

Actually, as someone who is looking at buying a house at the moment, I'd be glad if the economy took a bit of a dive. The real estate prices in Auckland have skyrocketed over the last few years, and if NZ loses the cup at least the prices may go down.

2. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I agree with Lawrence. I've been examining the home-owning options as such lately and the prices around here are astronomical.

A loss would probably put the ecomony in a slump, but one that might be welcomed by some.

3. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    and if the NZ economy takes a dive interest rates may go up....

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ^ Exactly.

Whenever you buy, your investment will increase in value. I doubt the [loss of the] America's Cup will have a huge or lasting impact on the country's economy.

We're going to lose it some-day. Any business built on the hope that it will be here forever (or built on a possible 6 month surge every 3 years due to cup-fever) is flawed from the outset.

Anyway, in good news, Alinghi are still on three points. :D

Of course we are still on zero. :(

5. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    And we just piked on racing today. Looks like the team wants to have another day to organise before the next race on what, Saturday?

6. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    jp-30
    Any business built on the hope that it will be here forever (or built on a possible 6 month surge every 3 years due to cup-fever) is flawed from the outset.

So what will the viaduct look like six months after Team New Zealand lose the cup? (hypothetically speaking)

A bustling hive of activity? I think not. Not to the extent that it is now anyway.

7. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Come buy a house down in invercargill There cheap as chips

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > So what will the viaduct look like six months after Team New Zealand lose the cup? (hypothetically speaking)

A bustling hive of activity? I think not. Not to the extent that it is now anyway.

No of course it won't be as busy as it is now - nor would it as busy in 6 months even if we retain the cup.

What I'm saying is that any restaurant / bar owner who developed his business model of the supposition that the cup will always be there to boost takings every 3 years is a fool.

As for "piking" out of the race - it made sense considering the shifty conditions. Despite Butterworth's comment on the cancelling of today's sailing "We're bitterly disappointed" he had a HUGE grin on his face. Alinghi were just as happy to come ashore as TNZ.

9. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    I can't see house prices dropping if we do lose the cup, unfortunately prices will probably continue to rise, given that population growth in auckland is rising and space for building is fairly limited.

And JP is indeed correct any bar or restaurant that depends on a large revenue increase every 3 years will go under.

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    given that population growth in auckland is rising and space for building is fairly limited.

Completely depends on where you're talking about in the Auckland region Graal. Kumeu / West-Auckland is being sub-divided like mad! And there's plenty more room for expansion of the"Auckland area". Auck is not just city, there are farms etc too, believe it or not. :p

11. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Team New Zealand's mast just snapped midway through the fouth race ....

12. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    In the immortal words of Homer J Simpson "Doh!!"

13. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    4 - 0.

Well, this is disappointing, but really - when you think about it - it is really only 2 - 0. Damn problems with the boat.

Nevermind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.