main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it just me (dark journy spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Soontir-Fel, Feb 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Why does it feel this thread became more a battle of the sexes, and in particulary the sexes under 20? Some of us are twenty and up, and certainly involved in the discussion. But it seems like a good many are under twenty. Granted, the forum is open to everyone who wishes to come in and discuss the various topics, no matter their age. But the side disscussion, concerning dating, in here seems to be dominated by folks in their teens.

2. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    8-} I think that's my fault, Knight. I think my first post here kinda set the tone for the rest of the dating sub-plot we've got going on in this thread. Battle of the Sexes,or Battle of the Cynics?

EDIT: Darn emoticons!!!

3. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm not a cynic, I'm way too young for that! :p

Jae Angel

4. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I see that a few of my fellow Kyp and Jaina fans have been brave enough to post thier views on this thread. I salute you.

Before I read DJ, there were many people who had read the book and who posted that it was definate that Jag and Jaina would be an item, siting among other things thier constant fighting and the force connection that Jaina appeared to have with Jag.

After reading the book, I found nothing in it to say that Jag and Jaina would definately be together, despite the force connection (if indeed it really was a connection at all, the percieved connection was totally from Jaina's point of view). As a matter of fact, I found the book to have as many possibilites for Kyp and Jaina as it did for Jag and Jaina, just brought out in different ways.

The Jaina and Jag theory was brought out in plain language. We see Jaina and Jag fighting. This is a familiar scene to us fans as we know this is how Han and Leia began. And of course lets not forget that very important "force connection" Jaina has with Jag. As I above stated, that was from Jaina's point of view. It is true that she may have feelings for Jag but it yet remains to be seen that those feelings will amount to love. I find it interesting that nothing in the book prior to the "connection" explains why she would have it nor does anything about the connection lend to the idea that Jaina and Jag are in love, save for the idea that Jaina feels that it is a just like the connection that Tenal Ka had with Jacen. Which I for one beg to differ. Jacen and Tenal Ka knew each other for years and it makes sense that a connection would grow between them wereas Jaina and Jag have only really known each other for a few days.

Elaine Cunningham uses a different and might I say a more thoughtful approach to developing the Kyp and Jaina aspect of the story. Instead of bringing things out in plain language as she has done with Jaina and Kyp she uses subtle means to develop them. Many have thought that the Isolder and Jaina prospect made no sense in the story. Yet, I see that this was EC's way of softening the idea that a man can be older than a woman. She does this in a few places such as when she has the queen mother make the comment that a woman never finds an equal in a man her own age and the most telling in my opinion would be when she tells Jaina that she is her mother's age when she set her heart on an older man.

Another interesting point that I did not grasp the full possible meaning of until I read it posted by someone else is Jaina's reaction to Kyp when he comes to take her to Anakin's funeral. It says that she felt as if she had awoken from a trance to gaze directly into a sun. This is a much stronger and deeper reaction than she had ever had to Jag, though I admit it could have something to do with his past deception but the terminolgy used therein does not really fit that circumstance. Further, we see Jaina's reaction to Kyp's speech at Anakin's funeral. He was the only one that expressed what she had felt inside. This seems to be one way of bringing the reader into a realization of the character's thought process and shows us the similarities between the two. It is intersting that Jaina could not listen to anyone else after Kyp made his speech. When Jaina comes out of her first Jedi trance and is discussing her feelings with Kyp, she sees something compelling in his face that for once had nothing to do with the force. It would appear that Jaina is beginning to see Kyp in a different light.

A theme that seemed apparent to me in the book was that of being understood. In one of the few scenes featuring Luke and Mara, Mara makes the statement that it was such a comfort to be understood. This idea comes into play in the development of Kyp and Jaina. When the two are about to set down on Gallinore, Kyp realizes that Jaina may be more like him than he would have thought and at the end of the book, Jaina opens herself to Kyp because she realizes that he is the one person that could understand her, and he would be the one person she

5. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    But then, you'r not me either. I certainly was a cynic concerning many different things at your age, NarundiJedi. Still am for that matter.

6. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    There was a hint of sarcasm in that statement. I thought that the smiley alluded to it. I happen to be a very pessimistic person and am cynical about a great many things, which is why I find it odd when a topic comes up that I'm not cynical about. I've been in a few relationships and at one point, probably around the age of 17-18 I was very cynical about love. I was convinced that all men were only looking to score and that I should be a prude and limit any serious physical contact in a relationship. That meant that the only things I would allow were hugging and closed-mouth kissing.

After finding the right person I realized that my "men are pigs" was just an excuse and the real reason why I didn't want to get too intimate was that deep down inside I realized that there wasn't much chemistry between myself and some of the guys I'd dated up until that point. By "wasn't much chemistry" I mean that there really wasn't any potential for a long term relationship working out due to a lack of a mutual attraction of both the physical and emotional type.

So yeah, you live a little and sometimes you become less cynical and sometimes you become more cynical. It all depends on the experiences you have and in what order they happen.

Jae Angel

7. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Cynical in love really isn't me. Yes, I am a bit cynical in that area. Sometimes one has to ask who isn't or why we shouldn't be. But for the most part, I do believe in love, and I believe there's someone out their for everyone. Just most folks don't find that someone, and they end up settling for someone they feel is that person. Of course you never truely know going in if you've found them or not.

8. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Great post, Lianna.

9. Justinian

Justinian Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2002
    Umm...can we stop the men are blind, women are blind, battle of the sexes 2002 plz? It has nothing to do with gender, like everything in life it is truly about people. Certain people are blind, not a certain sex.

As for relationships is the EU i don't care all that much about Jaina really, she can have Kyp for all i care. As far as likeness goes however, as said before Tenel Ka and Jag are actually the most alike with the seriousness factor. She seems to think Jacen is dead as well so it could create rather interesting story when he pops back up.

Anyone else out there want to see a Vong/Jedi relationship? As long as the Vong was female at least, i don't see the warmaster and Jaina getting together any time soon.

10. JHC_JEDI

JHC_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    Lianna, You really summed up the Jania-Kyp idea well there. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Jag, but it seemed to me that was the way they were setting up Jania's romantic interests. Your post showed me the other side.

11. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    I would laugh sooooooooo hard if they had Jag and Tenel Ka get together! If only for a short fling! :D That might even be better than seeing Jaina and Kyp get together in terms of shock value! ;)

Jae Angel

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    No, no, not Jag and Tenel Ka getting together, if even for a fling. A Dark Side Jaina is a terrible thought, but Jacen would find out, probably realize how he truely feels about Tenel Ka, and then Sith Jacen would kill everyone.

13. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Thanks Face. JHC Jedi, glad I could be of assistance. Narundi, its wierd but I had an idea of Jag and Tenal Ka come up into my head when I read DJ. They both have strong senses of duty and are warriors. I even considered a fanfic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.