main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it just me? Or are we in a bit of a SW drought...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by masterskywalker, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hoi! It was MY guesswork, MY screw-up! :)

JB

2. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I had been looking forward to the Clone Wars for a long long time, and yet now I have absolutely no intrest in it.

I has hoping for a civil war, a REAL WAR, not some farse drawn up by Palpatine to weed out the Jedi, and especially not between clones and DROIDS. With droids, the whole essence of war is gone, it seems so stupid and pointless to me when both sides have unlimited quantities of troops they can throw at each other. I wanted the clones to be the BAD guys.

I wanted to see a war where the victor MATTERED. I wanted to see a war with people fighting to free themselves from the Republic, not a bunch of stupid corporations being manipulated to fight for a man named Dooku (stupid and silly name to me). I don't want to see robot Dark Jedi and Sith warriors, and I don't want to read about a sham of a war fought solely to kill Jedi.

3. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I was just looking at Starwars.com and noticed this article:

http://www.starwars.com/community/feature/20040720/indexp10.html

Its relevan because of this little passage:

'Also this year, Jedi Trial arrives in hardcover, chronicling the conflict that elevates Anakin Skywalker to Jedi Knighthood. While all of the Clone Wars have concentrated on the personal stories of the combatants, fans of massive military maneuvers can look forward to action of that kind in the book.

"We have several big battles in Jedi Trial, written by two actual military guys, [David Sherman and Dan Cragg], known for their military science fiction works," said Shapiro. "But in general, Star Wars at its core is character-driven -- that's what it's about. It's not about big battles, it's about people and what happens to them."'

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I has hoping for a civil war, a REAL WAR, not some farse drawn up by Palpatine to weed out the Jedi, and especially not between clones and DROIDS. With droids, the whole essence of war is gone, it seems so stupid and pointless to me when both sides have unlimited quantities of troops they can throw at each other. I wanted the clones to be the BAD guys.

* That may be what was expected, particularly given the info given in TTT, but should that be the case?

I wanted to see a war where the victor MATTERED. I wanted to see a war with people fighting to free themselves from the Republic, not a bunch of stupid corporations being manipulated to fight for a man named Dooku (stupid and silly name to me).

* The funny thing is that it does all matter. If the sepratists win, with Dooku at the lead, then as far as the Jedi know, the dark side will be ascendant. For the separatists, it is a fight for freedom from the Republic. The corporations? They want an end to the Republic fair trade practices. All are doing what they are doing willingly.

I don't want to see robot Dark Jedi and Sith warriors, and I don't want to read about a sham of a war fought solely to kill Jedi.

* But it isn't solely to kill Jedi, that's one aim true, but I believe you've been reading the books and comics, consequently you should have noticed little pieces of a proto-imperialism being formed by the waging of the war. The idea is that by the time Palpatine declares himself Emperor, people will be familar with imperial ideas to accept it. Another seed that is planted in the Clone Wars is the notion and even necessity of rebellion, which the separtists are.

* I would suggest the problem you have EHP is that you're looking at the story from the perspective of the all-knowing reader. We know Palpatine is rotten to the core, we know Dooku is his subordinate, we know the Jedi are fated to fall and Anakin to turn bad. BUT they, the characters do not, what we know is the future that is yet to happen. From our omnipotent view it is easy to slate Clone Wars as being to get from A to B to C and that's it, but isn't that true of any story, especially a prequel? It all matters, the problem is you just know the outcome.

JB

5. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    That's sounds good.

6. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "That may be what was expected, particularly given the info given in TTT, but should that be the case?"

I'd like to read about a war where soldiers aren't assembly line mass-produced. Where 20 billion casualties can't be replaced within days because they're being bred or manufactured. It would at least be nice if the clones fighting the Seperatists weren't cloned from a man working for the Seperatists!

"The funny thing is that it does all matter. If the sepratists win, with Dooku at the lead, then as far as the Jedi know, the dark side will be ascendant."

As opposed to the Republic winning and the Jedi being whipped out and the dark side becoming ascendant? And notice Dooku bowing and calling Sidious (Palpatine) master. Either way, Palpatine wins, it doesn't matter who wins!

"For the separatists, it is a fight for freedom from the Republic. The corporations? They want an end to the Republic fair trade practices. All are doing what they are doing willingly."

But who are the Seperatists!? Where are the people flocking to the banner to fight for freedom? Where are the patriotic rebels giving their lives for the cause they believe in!? Where are the regular civilians fighting to preserve the Republic that has stood for a thousand generations!? What kind of corporation would go to WAR against their GOVERNMENT!? These are guilds! They have monopolies on everything! Use NORMAL buisness methods to get what you want! It makes no sense!

"But it isn't solely to kill Jedi, that's one aim true, but I believe you've been reading the books and comics, consequently you should have noticed little pieces of a proto-imperialism being formed by the waging of the war. The idea is that by the time Palpatine declares himself Emperor, people will be familar with imperial ideas to accept it. Another seed that is planted in the Clone Wars is the notion and even necessity of rebellion, which the separtists are."

There's a contradiction in their. It's fought to get people used to dictatorship, but also for people to rebel against it?

"I would suggest the problem you have EHP is that you're looking at the story from the perspective of the all-knowing reader. We know Palpatine is rotten to the core, we know Dooku is his subordinate, we know the Jedi are fated to fall and Anakin to turn bad. BUT they, the characters do not, what we know is the future that is yet to happen. From our omnipotent view it is easy to slate Clone Wars as being to get from A to B to C and that's it, but isn't that true of any story, especially a prequel? It all matters, the problem is you just know the outcome."

Good point, the books and comics (which I haven't read) ARE pointless! At least give the war a personality! Have there be soldiers fighting and dieing who MATTER! Instead, we have mindless droids and clones devoid of any feeling or concious thought beyond fighting! And at least make the things we're reading (I have not read any single piece of SW literature that takes place before ANH) seem like they have an effect on the outcome. Instead, if the Seperatists win, the Jedi are doomed, the Dark Side takes over, Palpatine rules over all. If the Republic wins, the Jedi will survive for another decade, then are doomed, then the Dark Side takes over, then Palpatine rules over all.

The whole Clone Wars was set up poorly. They've taken a very prospective idea that could bring back some life into the prequels and SW itself, and twisted it into a big stinking cash cow.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's a contradiction in their. It's fought to get people used to dictatorship, but also for people to rebel against it?

* I believed you had looked at the comics, as you haven't some info is needed. Republic 61 has Bail Organa opposing a highly popular, highly draconian bit of legislation. He is supported only by Mon Mothma and is advised by Valorum. By the end Valorum is dead, the bill is passed and Mothma and Organa resolve to fihgt against Palpatine in the Senate, aas he will continue to undermine the ideals of the Republic. This is the seed of what will come to be the rebellion, even as Palpatine is laying the building blocks of Empire.

* Not really much point in replying further, as we disagree point-blank but, you ought to consider looking at the comics, they're DHC's best in a long time.

JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.