main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me or do the prequels seem to be "cool" again by people? (see warnings on pgs. 9-12)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

Are there citations for any of that?

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Deleted due to Mod edict.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

4. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    With each new ST release the PT looks better.

Maybe Disney is Palpatine forcing George Luke S. to look out the window where the latest episode is screening.

Or maybe George Luke S. is just grumpy old man Luke S. feeling "it is time for The Star Wars to end"

5. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I have always loved the prequels and I have always hoped that they would get more respect, but I never allowed myself to hope that prequel lines of dialogue would become memes and enter our public lexicon the way OT lines of dialogue did. But that appears to have happened. Not as much as the OT, and Im sure the internet has helped, but its still pretty amazing.

crapiola, DBPirate and Master_Lok like this.
  6. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

I give the Prequels a lot of crap, but 'Have you heard the tale of Darth Plagueis the Wise' is probably my favorite Star Wars meme.

7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Removed

8. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    Prequel lines were always in the lexicon between me and my mother. I'm glad the internet finally caught up.

9. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I really feel that Prequel Hating is at an all time low. But then again, it's not scientific. That's just the way I feel from the past couple years on boards, youtube, twitter and etc.

10. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    Yeah, whenever I look in YouTube comments now, I feel like I see a lot of pro-prequel comments in defense and high in number of likes.

DBPirate likes this.
  11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Regarding YouTube: I've noticed it for a few years now. Must be the prequel generation growing up. And probably the international audience as well. Granted, they usually their own channels but many know English and visit the English-speaking ones. Sometimes I see them schooling some haters as in "You American hipsters with your hate for the prequels, in my country we love the trilogies equally".

crapiola likes this.
  12. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It seems to me the PT hate has died down some not from the sudden recognition of them being good films, but from many of the internet loud mouths no longer considering the PT as the bottom of the barrel. However, many still view the PT as awful films and are sure to preface this before stating their disappointments with the two ST films so far, to me this is not much of a victory or really a good thing. Just a change of goal posts really.

13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Jesse McLaren of Buzzfeed fame (i guess) was majorly ripping on the prequels a couple of days ago basically at the defence of the new films.

The replies were a mixture of Agreement and Disagreement.

What i notice is that when people openly rip on the prequels assuming everyone is in agreement they usually get a heck load of people slamming them back to their surprise.

crapiola and jimkenobi like this.
  14. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Its like one of those "Lets go/do xxx! whos with me?! *cue crickets*" scenarios you see on tv.

15. Dookuhunt84

Dookuhunt84 Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2017
    There has been a cooling of the prequel hate.

I feel like much of that is revisionism. Some fans are reaching to plug plot holes and find nuance in the writing that just isn't really there (Darth Jar Jar anyone?). Fans who have 'learned to love' Episode 1 are a prime example.

Another reason is the rise in full time contrarians online. People who make it their business to go against the consensus. It's not exactly trolling, but it isn't entirely sincere either. Quite often these fans are rebelling against the "Everything was better back in the day" mentality by adopting the opinion on the opposite extreme of the spectrum.

Hidden amongst those are those who genuinely like the prequels, or at least many aspects of them. It isn't an opinion I share but each to their own.

16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    No. Revisionism is the narrative that "everybody hated the prequels" since the day they came out. And the whole "Darth Jar Jar" thing is a meme, not a serious theory.

17. Macready13

Macready13 Jedi Padawan

Jan 19, 2016
    I'm 37 years old and went to see Phantom Menace 7 times at the cinemas! I love the prequels. Never understood the hate they received. I'm also a huge fan of the OT as I grew up with them. Everyone can have their own opinions but I just saw that it was cool to pick on the prequels. RLM did their videos but really, it's their point of view. They obviously hate prequel films and lore so it is what it is. I was never bothered by midiclorians (should I have been???) And thought Jake Lloyd played kid Anakin fine (he's a kid so what did they expect him to be like at such a young age?).
    Anyway, my appreciation for these 3 films constantly grows and I'd even put ep.3 in the same discussions as the OT. Plus, ep.3 has my fav scene from any STAR WARS film- the brilliant opera scene. The way Palpatine asked his friends to "leave" sends chills down my spine. His manipulation of Anakin is so good throughout all 3 films. It filled out so much backstory and character that Palpatine, along with Maul and Qui Gon have become my fav Star Wars characters!

18. Dookuhunt84

Dec 24, 2017
    Obviously I would never claim something as sweeping as 'everyone hated the prequels'. But I don't think it's controversial to suggest they were not generally well received critically, and were somewhat disappointing to many.

Darth Jar Jar was a bad example I admit. The explaniaition for Leia being able to remember what her mother looked like is a better one.

Some explain it away that Leia can sense her through the force. When in reality, Padme's death was tacked on to wrap the trilogy up without loose ends left hanging.

I found large parts of all three really rather dull. I won't get into the various other criticisms, because we have all heard then a million times before.

I will defend Lucas somewhat and say that the very fact they were prequels was in itself limiting. Great prequels are a rare thing in cinema.

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, I quite enjoy them as a fan, and love Ewan as Obi-Wan. It was wonderful seeing them as they were released. Reading some information here, and just giving the actors a chance made me warm up to PT even more these days. They highlight why I love this universe.

Yes, there are still elements I would flush, but these are fewer and farther between now.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  20. Dookuhunt84

Dec 24, 2017
    My problem with them is that there is rather a lot that I would flush. Revenge was better, but I can't entirely forgive the failures with Padme and her low energy death.

21. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I've seen them as painted cooler these days by the people who loathe TFA or TLJ, Disney's Star Wars, or Lucas purists.

I'm indifferent. They were cool to me when I was 19/22/25 and they're still cool now. I appreciate what Lucas did as I enjoy what Disney has done.

crapiola and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Two out of three of the prequels have Fresh ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, and The Phantom Menace used to have a Fresh rating until the 3D release came out and a bunch of review outlets lowered their original scores. They weren't received nearly as poorly as people believe them to have been. It was the inflated backlash that came after that distorted everyone's perceptions and led to everyone acting like they were the worst thing ever and nearly destroyed the franchise.

23. Macready13

Macready13 Jedi Padawan

Jan 19, 2016
    The implication is she was so heart broken she couldn't go on living. She loved Anakin so much and he broke her heart.

crapiola likes this.
  24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That's... Kind of the issue.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    If it can happen in Arthurian legend, it can happen in Star Wars. This is a franchise where major characters bodily vanish upon dying and then return as ghosts that sit on logs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.