main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me or do the prequels seem to be "cool" again by people? (see warnings on pgs. 9-12)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Huttese 101 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Assuming that gif refers to what's in Zack Snyder's mind? ;)

3. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm pretty sure Snyder's a bloodless zombie, so no, he won't bleed. He'll just keep going and going, making terrible movie after terrible movie, and trying to eat audience's brains. :)

5. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

ekrolo2, Darthman92 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    You're right. My criticism was far too mild, and in many quarters, that is indeed heresy.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Darthman92 likes this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    You win. Can't argue with Tarkin. :)

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Hah, just having fun with the gifs :p

However I do mod a DCEU fan site so my feelings are legit :p

10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    DCEU fan sites exist?

ETA: I keed, I keed! ;)
    ETA2: And just in case you take me for an MCU partisan, that's not the case either. I just generally dislike superhero films. Snyder's most of all, but I also dislike Whedon and the majority of the MCU directors. Nolan (and recently, Jenkins) are the only two directors I believe have produced compelling cinema in the genre.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It was so they should have no problems.

From his Darth Vader point of view they are now.

The question is why do they look at it in isolation then? They should look at the text and subtext of the movies which is there.

12. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    IMO there are a number of factors that have contributed to a recent re-evaluation of the PT.
    1. Thanks to Disney PT is now no longer the last live-action Star Wars we are ever going to see. Those who disliked the movies when they were released seemed to be mostly placated by TFA and Rogue One. At which point continually ranting about JarJar starts to look a little silly.
    2. The hysteria sounding those movies has finally worn itself out. Now that those movies have been dissected and fine combed for every last minor imperfection for over two decades now, there is simply nothing left to discuss. Since we're getting new Star Wars annually, why not just think about that instead.
    3. This makes it easier for people who always liked the PT to speak out. Plus since fans who grew up with those movies and love them are now reaching adulthood their ranks are swelling. Recently I feel as if I've noticed a general 'closing of the ranks' amongst fans of the PT online who seem more willing to bite back than they used to.
    4. The Force Awakens. A lot of reviews, both positive and negative commented on Abrams choice to make a fairly unambitious movie. So I think some fans have since re-evaluated the PT for the narrative and cinematic elements that it has to offer, that are unique in Star Wars films. Its a case of 'You don't appreciate what you have until its gone'.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens_3d/

Huttese 101 likes this.
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    TCW helped to "address" some of the contradictions and plot holes; characters, such as Anakin, were developed much, much more in depth in the animated series and the relationship with Padme was explored in great depth. Plus, the PT itself, has aged very well.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  14. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Well, for the last maybe year or less, I noticed more and more critical approach on TFA content on facebook. More and more people write how bad the movie is, to be the ANH copy, that JJ sucks and so. The PT is there, it's mentioned that at least GL tried, so I guess that's something. The above mentioned quote is crap, the author wanted to be realistic and wanted to make a good review, but it's better to bash the PT to avoid all the rude comments beneath and to please TFA audience which, more or less, is not a fan of the PT.

So, as TFA impressions settle over time people may realise that making a good SW movie is not an easy task and that, just as it was in the PT time, the previous movie were better.

Tonyg and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  15. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    TBH I get the impression that the author of that Vulture.com article genuinely disliked the PT. I posted it because its an example of the fact that, even at the time of TFA's release the film was receiving criticism for its (deliberately, IMO) limited depiction of what Star Wars could, and should be. Hence my earlier point that TFA was a (albeit, not the only) catalyst for the re-evaluation of the PT's merits which seems to have begun recently.

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    And then Rogue One included a number of prequel elements, and they were great. So that helped too. Clearly, the new LFL considers the prequels worthy canon, and there's little reason to push back against that.

Huttese 101 and Mostly Handless like this.
  17. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Agreed. I think that also explains why Rogue One appears to have received a much warmer welcome from PT fans than it's predecessor did.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    My only questionable moment in rogue one is when they showed mustafar but didn't have a subtitle saying "mustafar".

I think it was said they wanted it to be a surprise, which i am hoping is the case and they just didn't bottle out of it last minute

19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    They clearly wanted to use a PT location but couldn't bring themselves to name it, purely out of spite for the PT. It's just a giant "Ee-chuta!" to the prequel era and its fans.

20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Bull. If that was the case, why not simply use a non-prequel location? The truth is that they wanted first-time viewers who were fans to not know where Krennic was going, or who he was going to meet. That's why there's no planet title. There's zero evidence for your "LFL hates the prequels" theory. Rogue One gave us two prequel locations, a prequel vehicle, and prequel characters, in the very first spinoff under KK's leadership. And now the Forces of Destiny material is full of Clone War-era stuff. This clearly demonstrates that LFL respects the prequels.

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The mistake I made was to invent a scenario less preposterous than many of the reasons cited for a supposed "anti PT" campaign.

22. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Oh man...Don't I love superficial aspects in R1 that take parts from the prequels. See Ivan, I could care less about the "designs" of the prequels carrying over to the newer movies. That is just what they are...Designs. And the normally, you hear a lot of clammer about how the PT reaches it's "uniqueness" to an astounding level. Disney can shove all the "prequel" esque designs they want, but what is far more important are the interconnections of the Saga. Sure..Showing Mustafar once again gives us a visual expression that Vader is still trapped in his own hell...Ok.I commend thee for doing such. I'll even be gracious to say it was quite ingenious to showcase that. Though the visuals and aesthetic of the Planet is indeed...Lacking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do realize that this is years later and the planet has changed..Though at least give it some more spice to it.

The "Prequel" character is none other than Bail Organa. You know, a character who was mentioned in the OT first and foremost? I won't give them such a praise.

Lucasfilm gives respect to the Prequels, yes. A lot of the merchandise sold in the years since the PT have been prequel era themed. And with the Clone wars that came on the rise(both series) it became more popular. However, I would argue that it was the "cartoon" prequels that were more popularized rather than the movies themselves. So there are layers to this whole thing but the general perspective I see from this is that they have not ignored the material.

But what is true...Is that the beginning the Disney Era were intentionally being ignored in some places, jumping through hoops of logic(the lies about the "return" to practical effects for one) and very insulted. In fact, I take back my statement on them respecting the Prequels. They weren't for some time.

"Real effects and practical sets."

But upon some 10 second research, we find this untrue.

“Jar Jar is definitely not in the movie,” she said to applause and cheers.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ar-binks-will-not-appear-in-the-force-awakens

Why was there a need to mention him in the movie despite it being FAR away from the Phantom Menace timeline? Fear of rejection...So they try and please as much as they can even if it doesn't relate to the actual subject. And respecting your own franchise? Is that so? Seems to me you'd rather insult the material in which you were given.

Hm?:-B

"Hating" is a strong word, and I wouldn't take it that far. I wouldn't even say that they outright ignored everything about them(they acknowledge it's existence..Just mostly through insults) Disrespecting is more like it.

I don't mean to deter this conversation some other way for the sake of arguing, but this is clear prove that LFL didn't attempt to give the PT a great image. Although I will give credit where credit is due...

[​IMG]

I appreciate the narrative attempt to convey that human nature is always evident in flaws and a contradiction to themselves. Here; There is clear inspiration from Anakin. In fact, ripped straight from him The Grandfather's mistakes...Still having seeds planted in the mind of his young grandson. Many parts seem..Tacked on with Kylo but the end result was alright, and it is the thought that counts.

As of recent years, LFL doesn't seem to be doing the same damn mistakes as with what they did in the beginning...

Also, TFA was more "Prequel related" than Rogue One. All R1 truly did was expand more of the visuals and give that one planet drop for Vader. At least TFA seems to be on top of things more;)

HevyDevy and ezekiel22x like this.
  23. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Wasn't helped that it was followed by "Not like you. You're everything soft...& smooth". [face_sick]
    Very hard to take that point seriously when TFA is clearly based on RotJ more than ANH. As explained here.

24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The line is "Not like here. Here, everything is soft and... and smooth".

I don't know what's wrong that, either.

TLR115, DBPirate, B3 and 3 others like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Many found it nauseating. Each to their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.