main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me or do the prequels seem to be "cool" again by people? (see warnings on pgs. 9-12)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Ten years of the best spiritual and formal education that the Republic can provide, travelling with elite ambassadors to all corners of the galaxy and experiencing its cultures. And he's still preoccupied with sand being rough while grass and stuff are not. [face_thinking]

I wonder if he spent 19 years as the Emperor's right hand going around and commenting on how everything used to be round and shiny, but now, everything is drab and pointy. [face_tee_hee]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Sorry! Around here, obvious sarcasm can look a lot like an actual opinion. The hyperbolic anti-Di$sney campaign is strong in this forum.

Martoto77 likes this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Only hyperbole I see in this exchange is the snarky need to prod a poster and smear an entire forum just because the Mustafar name issue was brought up as a calm, fair question.

4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    With absolutely no evidence to back up the point, the exclusion of the Mustafar title in Rogue One has been routinely raised to question LFL's respect for the prequels. It's long since ceased to be a fair question.

It's like continually saying: "I do question whether or not President Obama was born in the U.S. because...he lived in other countries."

It's a question with deep assumptions built into it that serves to undermine, without justification, a clear example of LFL drawing from the prequels.

Martoto77 likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Or it could be a simple question about why a planet's name was not included when others were. Guess it depends on who's responding to the question, and what agendas of their own they bring during their contributions to this forum.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think Mustafar's name was left out to make the scene stand out a bit in an ominous sort of way. It's like we're entering a forbidden place and seeing things not meant for our eyes.
    I honestly like that. Seeing "Mustafar" on the screen would probably have dulled the edge of the scene.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Incorrect. Other planets were also not named. Such as the one in the opening scene. Which makes a mockery of the whole Mustafar issue.

Martoto77 likes this.
  8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    That planet was so anti-PT as well.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  9. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002

I said others not all others. But you kind of missed my point. A response specifically citing which planets were and were not named would've been a lot more constructive than a snarky, baiting assumption that the question itself stems from bad faith.

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The fact that the planet was mastafar at all shows they made an effort to give connectivity it to the prequels.

They also thought through the reasoning behind invaders castle being on mastafar and what it meant to the character so the definitely put a lot of thought into it.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  11. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    I like the inclusion of Mustafar and how it was handled in RO. Even the angled shots of Krennic's shuttle approaching Vader's fortress are reminiscent of Palpatine's shuttle coming to recover Vader at the end of ROTS.

But what does this have to do with whether the prequels are "cool" again?

Why would anyone base their opinions on a whole series of movies solely on reviews?! Why would you even have an opinion on some movies if you've never seen them and you're relying on what amounts to hearsay. That is so vacuous! I can't wrap my head around it.

Exactly. He wasn't simply stating that TFA's film crew was filming in a "real" desert, as if that was something that needed to be said, he was value-signaling. It was a wink and a nudge to the OG Star Wars fans (among whom Abrams is one) that they're doing things the right way, the "real" way, as opposed to what Lucas did wrong with the prequels. The reason "we're filming in a real desert" has become the butt of prequel fans' scorn is because it was so on-the-nose and, well, dumb. Yeah, it was definitely the first Star Wars filmed in a "real" arid desert since '77.

Jedi Knight Fett, TLR115, B3 and 2 others like this.
  12. SarlacsDinnerParty

SarlacsDinnerParty Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2014
    Well its about bloody time the PT bashers start fading away =D= Think TFA sort of woke fans up.

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't really like the Prequels. I think that they rely on CGI too much, muddle the focus of the originals, are poorly written, and overall not very well acted with a few notable exceptions. But, they also have their own benefits. I really like the Clone Wars Era as a whole, I love Palpatine, I love Ewan McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan, I love some of the creative visuals, etc. The fact I prefer the new movies more doesn't mean i'm bashing anything. It means that I think they're better quality movies.

That's just my two cents though. It's frustrating seeing people disregard the opinions of myself and others like me because of some notion that I'm needlessly bashing some kind of hidden masterpiece, and that I'm just parroting the opinions of Mr. Plinket.

Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.
  14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Really? I did not come to a realization that the PT boards were creating a campaign against Disney. I must inform Segoat about this treachery..
    A little too much hyperbole there Giger don't you agree?

Either you are outright lying for your own gain or you truly think that this is true. So let me explain to you why your decision to come to this conclusion is very wrong . Most of the forum here DOESN'T hate Disney. During the run of TFA was a time where many of us had to settle with the new movie and Disney's grasp on the franchise. Not just as SW fans but specifically Prequel fans since we were anxious about how they were going to treat the prequels

Beore The Awakening

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rketings-treatment-of-the-pt.50033352/page-21
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...s-plotlines-spoilers-allowed.50035228/page-23

After The Awakening
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...iscussion-moved-to-saga-board.50038854/page-6

Unable to find more but these are within a year from each other.

As you can clearly observe, a decent number of fans who were not on board. Not because it was a new SW movie, but it was not handled by Lucas and instead, Disnaynay. By selling this to a giant corporation(which was against Lucas's philosophy and the creation of SW as a whole) this lead to further skepticism, not to mention the ever "atrocious" marketing that was both disrespectful to Lucas, their own product(which made them millions)and the fans of the prequels. I have already made a post about that a page back so I won't repeat myself here. But as it stood, Disney did not create good terms with the Prequel fans, and created a narrative of lies to further bring forth love unto the fanbase..Which translates to "Fear of rejection", then falls into the need of all acceptance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_rejection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_rejection#Need_for_acceptance

So they take unnecessary means to be more accepted within the fandom(even though they already were!) with the use of baiting and disdain. And after a year and a half later, folks have come to love or like the newer movies. Even going back to my old post where I was extremely critical of TFA first hand, I have come to love some parts of it(Kylo's struggle, Hans Death, the first lovely 15 minutes of Rey and Finns introduction etc). Same with R1. R1 is probably the most well received SW movie here as it is claimed to be more like the "PT"(even though that is technically wrong but semantics...). What this forum does consist of, are differences in opinions on Disney's marketing and handling of the series. Some don't like it and others do, but you will rarely see "Anti-Disney" people(especially using the $ sign) express themselves here.

I personally did not like whatsoever what they did in the past, but I have come to terms with it and moved on. They haven't done anything like what they did before but have yet to do anything for the prequel status really. All just floating in the void. Not acknowledged but not abused either...

15. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Yes, very true. And it goes the other way as well. One can criticize Disney's Star Wars films and/or question stylistic choices without propagating an "anti-Disney campaign." Generalizations and baiting snark tend to lead to the type of frustration you mention, so it's always good to have a reminder that each of us is operating from our own personal taste and experience with the series.

16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I agree completely. Just because people prefer different things doesn't mean their opinions can be handwaved away under some made up banner.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    How much did Plinkett pay you to post this? Or was it Simon Pegg?

Sith Lord 2015 and Outsourced like this.
  18. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    The point is, teenaged Anakin just isn't a very good flirt.

I know a lot of people complain that the romantic dialogue in AOTC is 'too stylised', but if anything I think its the other way round. If Lucas wanted awkward teenaged flirting, then he nailed it 100% IMO. Unfortunalty movie goers in 2002 weren't watching Star Wars to be reminded of their own awkward adolescent years.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I guess. But someone can write something like bad flirting without it being bad dialogue. I mean, Juno has some incredibly awkward scenes because of the intentionally bad flirting, but they're not hard to watch because the dialogue is still good.

Bad dialogue, even done intentionally, is still bad dialogue.

20. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Oh yeah, I think those scenes are incredibly awkward. But I think audiences not expecting that from Star Wars added to the problem.

rpeugh likes this.
  21. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Bottom line is this: I'll take the "bad dialogue" in the PT over the "good dialogue" in TFA any day.

TLR115, Tonyg, Sith Lord 2015 and 3 others like this.
  22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I disagree, but it's also mostly down to personal preference.

23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I personally feel the general hate and bashing has gone down a little..

Sith Lord 2015 and Lulu Mars like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It certainly has! There's more focus on the new.

25. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh right, as if we needed yet another "realistic" teen problem drama/comedy type of dialogue, in a SW movie of all things! :rolleyes:
    If AOTC is "hard to watch" then why not watch American Pie types of movies instead? Just saying... I'm sure those have tons of great flirting and are hilarious too... not. Just a little reminder, neither is AOTC a "teen" movie (Anakin is 19 and Padmé 24), nor were the characters ever supposed to be typical teens. That MAY just be because one of them is a slave turned Jedi apprentice and the other was a queen at 13 who became a senator in a galaxy-wide government. So sure, what we want them to talk like is exactly like in Juno. Why is there no facepalm emoji when I need one???
    I'm glad Lucas was way smarter than that and made the romance not a dumb teen comedy but a medieval one. Is it his fault that viewers just didn't get it?[face_tired]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.