main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me or do the prequels seem to be "cool" again by people? (see warnings on pgs. 9-12)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016

I think the point that was being alluded to was that the dialogue, the rhetoric of Anakin's and Padme's romance would not pass muster even in a teen sex comedy. Either in the (corny) character building or the bad enough to be comical categories.

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Yes, that's why I said it was never meant to be a teen comedy. The very notion that the AOTC romance should have anything at all in common with contemporary teenagers in itself is absurd. But it seems no matter what Anakin and Padmé talk about it is not acceptable. When he tries to make small talk (the dreaded S word!) it's totally ridiculous, but when he opens his heart and sounds like Shakespeare (fireplace scene) it's made fun of as well. I stand by my impression that the PT was made the way the storyteller wanted it - maybe not 100% but pretty close - and those fans would have nitpicked the romance to death absolutely regardless of how it would have been executed. No way would they ever have been satisfied with the story Lucas wanted to tell. Well, apparently they finally got the story THEY wanted in 2015 with the greatest SW movie ever made [face_laugh]

wobbits and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  3. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Tries to sound like Shakespeare.

A lot if us do get what they were trying to do. That's what bothers us about the results of their efforts

Darth Downunder likes this.
  4. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    You can never ever please everyone. In the end it will always be a case of take it or leave it. Some of us liked what we got some didn't. That won't change unless we make our own movies, the ones we want to see, which of course ironically is exactly what Lucas did in 1976 :D

Tonyg and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  5. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    ^ [face_tee_hee] True dat.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

7. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    So I guess you could say 2001 is also an example of bad filmmaking, because many people didn't get what it was about, right? Or Natural Born Killers, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Eyes Wide Shut, Blade Runner....? Many people didn't seem to understand what the filmmaker was trying to express. Bad movies, correct?

8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    R
    To many people, yes. Most of those were made by incredibly auteur directors. Regardless of me liking, say, A Clockwork Orange, I also acknowledge that most of content is incredibly unforgiving for an audience trying to watch it casually.

I mean, most of those are cult movies or critical darlings.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Who gets to define cool anyway? Personally I think the competition was over a long time ago. No film will ever supplant Alien 3 as the coolest movie ever. :p

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  10. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    seeing star wars fans downvoting the **** out of the watch mojo video was heartwarming

[​IMG]
    They even changed the title from "suck" to "hated" lmao

wobbits and Tonyg like this.
  11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Maybe it's being downvoted because, like all of watchMojo, whatculture and the like's ,"Why nobody likes..." videos, regardless of the subject, are shallow garbage that are aimed at bampots.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a massive difference between a movie who's possible meaning is challenging but the experience of watching it is authentically stimulating - and a movie whose potential meaning or subtext is compelling but the experience of watching it, assimilating the plot and the text with the subtext and discerning the meaning, or the author's intent from it is problematic.

Azure_Angelus and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  12. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    True!! I have stopped watching those annoying videos by youtubers entirely. 90% are idiots with an exhibitionist tendency, talking nothing but garbage. Give me a well-made well researched analytical unbiased movie review anytime. But not those jerks with nothing better to do than record themselves bashing whatever they can think of.... huge waste of time I-)

wobbits, Azure_Angelus, Tonyg and 2 others like this.
  13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Whenever I take a peek at those vids, I'm reminded of the those magazines aimed at housewives that are usually all there is to read in a dentist or a doctor's waiting room. Or the kind of conversation I had to listen to while waiting for my mother in the hairdressers as a child. Handbag material aimed at people who love to be scandalised.

14. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    my opinion of them exactly [face_laugh]

15. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    I have found one youtuber who's very different than those 90%. His name is Matt Higgins and on his channel "The Star Wars Prequels Channel", he makes nothing but video's about the PT, even though he says very little negative about them.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQPTd3stGI5W58_hWbDpRxA

fastcooljosh and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  16. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    When somebody makes nothing but positive videos about one thing, they're usually about as worthless as the ones that tell you how bad you're supposed to think things are.

17. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    People just have a new target for their obsession, whether they love it or hate it. I've checked out a few negative reviews/rants of TFA and R1 and it seems that majority of them are actually OT fanboys who didn't really like the prequels all that much but are admitting that at least they tried to be creative.

When TFA came out, I said these Disney rehashes might actually help the perception of the prequels because if you want something else than the constant Empire vs. Rebels status quo that's basically your only option (in the movie format anyway, plus TCW if you want to explore it further). Now maybe RJ will do something interesting with his trilogy if Disney allows him. He seems like a nice guy and he's said a few positive things about the prequels.

I was talking to a few fans from Eastern Europe and they don't understand all the hatred the prequels get. To them, they're almost as good or maybe even better than the originals.

18. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I personally think a big part of it for many fans who were adults when the PT were released is they really wanted to see the Trio's story continued. Their hearts really yearned for episode 7. After the 16 year break, getting a new star wars movie was so huge but then it was an almost completely different experience.

All movies have flaws but I think for fans whether you love or hate a movie depends on what you want or expect to see and if it doesn't live up to your expectations then you see the flaws more clearly than someone who loved it might.

I see it many times with people watching the OT for the first time. Some people are not taken with the original movies at all and they are usually the kinds who point out the little flaws and mistakes and "horrible" acting and things.

Dannik Jerriko and ezekiel22x like this.
  19. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
  20. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    Anything which is 'them' v 'us' lends itself to extreme views. When the ST came out I think it kind of broke that down a bit by creating a wider perspective of how SW could be. Some people were perhaps able to view the PT more for what is is, good and/or bad, as opposed to just the anti-OT. I think these days people are more able to appreciate the vision of the PT, irrespective of their views as to its execution.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that the arrival of the sequel trilogy and standalones has helped people to appreciate the prequels. Five years ago, we had good reason to believe that the prequels would be the last Star Wars movies ever made.

Many fans had legitimate criticisms of the prequels, but these were magnified by the belief that there would be no future movies better suited to their desires.

Now that we have years of (hopefully) quality Star Wars movies to look forward to, it is easier for the critics to look charitably upon the prequel trilogy. Hopefully, this will provide some people with a fresh perspective and allow them to better appreciate the prequel trilogy.

22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    We can't really expect the prequel hate to go away for everyone since it's each to their own opinion but the prequels do seem to get more support these days.

It's probably helps that the prequels ain't the last new Star Wars being made because weight is taken off them.

23. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I think that the "hatred" has always been overexposed and exaggerated.

24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    If I were to guess why the movies receive less flak than they used to, i'd say it's because the people who grew up with them are now old enough to be 'Veteran' fans.

25. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The people who grew up with the OT and as adults were disappointed by the PT only had nostalgia goggles for the OT. Now the generation that grew up with the prequels AND originals can appreciate both trilogies as equal halves of a larger saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.