main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it just me or is the length of the books too short?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Keiran_Halcyon, Sep 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keiran_Halcyon

Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2001
    Slimybug I did it by holding down alt then hitting the numbers 9 3 6 then leting go of alt. Thanks for the replys guys keep em coming. I personally think It would be awesome for Clancy to write for DelRey. But like an earlier poster said the odds of that are nill. I also agree that the books get you all engrossed but don't go into enough detail. I mean like your hanging by your fingernails and then the books over and you have to wait 3-6 months for the next book. By that time you've forgotten all the stuff that happened in the previous book. Maybe I'm a fast reader or something, I read a thousand page book in four days, but then again it all depends on how "in" to the book I am. Cause if it's boreing like The Crystal Star or the Black Fleet Crisis it'll take me a lot longer to read. Also I finally just got around to reading Rebirth a couple of days ago, I thought it was well written and Greg Keyes has my congrats. I know this is off the subject but I think that Tahiri is going to become a Yuuzhan Vong or die. It would be just like SW to put that twist in. It'd make it very dramatic too, sorta like a 1-2 punch. First Chewie now Tahiri even though Chewie was much more loved. Anyway those are my thoughts, keep yours coming. Cu'z

?KH¿

2. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    That would be tight if Tahiri became a Yuuzhan Vong. Or maybe she will just be the link between the shamed ones and the jedi.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    I remember when I read my first SW book. It was a Finnish translation, and hardcover. HttE, in fact. I read it in 5 hours or so? Can't tremember, it's so long time ago and I was a kid... The first SW book I read in English, WG, took me about two days. The second one, I, Jedi, took me about 12 hours. Since then, with my inmproving English reading skills, I've managede to read the entire Rogue arch in X-Wing series in one day. Sad...
    VotF took me about four hours. And we do remeber how thick it was...

And Rebirth? 1,5 hours, barely! I mean, I wait it, like, eternity, and then it's over, just like that. It sucks! They should've just crammed both Conquest and Rebirth into the same book... But no, this way they get double the money!
    *End Rant*

Ara
    (Sick, tired, sniffly and angry)

4. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    They are way too short! I read Rebirth in about 2 hours, and that was with multiple breaks to do stuff!

BTW, great handle, Keiran!

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, well, you guys don't take notes on encyclopedia, continuity and timeline issues like I do, when I read the books and I write the stuff down in my notebook. I take longer that way. ;)

6. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Is SxS really the 600 some pages that Amazon claims it to be? That would be great. Not since SoP and Vof have we seen a book that long. Is the price for SxS any higher because of the lenght?

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yes, it will be in the mid-500 to mid-600 page range, and remember that Del Rey's HCs are slightly taller than Bantam's. And the price is the standard 26 US dollars.

8. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
  9. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think they're just the right length. I don't sit down with a book and speed right through it. I usually take about a week to read a book depending on how often and how much I read.

10. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Yeah, I agree with you. The EoV books were very well written, but they were just too short. I finished Rebirth in aproximately two hours, I know i read fast, but i still was too short. I dont think that that was Keyes' fault, I think that the whole situation surrounding those books and the short time in which he had to write them were the main factors in their length.

But, oh boy, if SbS is really something like 550 pages...it would be great! It would be like goin back to the good old days of SoTP and VoTF. I must mention, that I read VoTF in around 7 hours. That might have been because I had waited to get it for two years, and waited for Luke and Mara to get together ever since i read TLC :D

Sorry about being long-winded, but does anyone know how long BP was? I got it out of the library and i forget...

11. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Wow, it took me like 3 weeks to read VOTF.

12. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Is SxS really the 600 some pages that Amazon claims it to be? That would be great. Not since SoP and Vof have we seen a book that long. Is the price for SxS any higher because of the lenght?

Um...Specter of the Past wasn't close to 600 pages in length. In fact, it has fewer pages than Vector Prime (in paperback, 386 to 416, respectively) and the word counts of the two novels are probably similar.

The two longest Star Wars novels by far are Vision of the Future (720 pages in PB) and I, Jedi (577 pages in PB). Star By Starp LOOKS like it'll be in same ballpark lengthwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.