main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me that strongly dislikes Mace Windu and thinks he is overrated as a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CommanderTano96, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    I feel like his stoic nature is how Mace became a master. Realize that he is human and it is clearly harder for us to let go of our humanity and become beacons of absolute goodness. Mace is a rock because he has to be. I think Jackson portrayed him perfectly, and I don't believe he ever made a mistake; it was Anakin who made the mistake.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Actually, I can name two of them.[face_mischief]

GGrievous likes this.
  3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Even better.

rumsmuggler and SithStarSlayer like this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Combinations rule.;)

GGrievous likes this.
  5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I'm not fond of the character either

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    If Mace rocked a beard like Chuck Norris, Sith would not have happened.

7. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell. Not Chuck Norris.

Mace wasn't overrated at all, and I really don't give a **** what color his lightsaber was.

He created Vaapad, which IIRC is the highest form of lightsaber combat (level 8) and requires channeling enough aggression that the user toes the line on touching the Dark Side--but must have enough control over his or her emotions to not cross that line. He then used Vaapad to (nearly) defeat Palpatine in ROTS.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I reckon the Jules Winfield hairdo would've capped off Mace perfectly. And the facial hair too.

If Mace had come in to arrest Palpatine looking like that the Dark Lord would surely have handed himself in there and then.

"What are you doing here Master Jedi?"

"Say what again..."

rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I think Denzel Washington would make a great Mace Windu,

he'd have pulled off the stoicness and distrust better,

SLJ just makes him look like an ***

but eh just my opinion, no need to flame me or hit me in the head with a sock etc.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I love me some Denzel, but I think Mace was meant to be sort of an ass. Sort of.

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Ohmigod! :rolleyes:

Yeah . . . like Yoda and Obi-Wan.

This makes no sense to me.

13. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Mace may well have been acting on Anakin's information, but in no way does that mean he has to take him along. Who knows what would have happened if Mace had taken Anakin, but no doubt the clash with Sidious would have been much shorter. So I fully support Mace's decision to leave Anakin behind.

14. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I love Samuel L Jackson and I love the purple light sabre, but I wasn't too crazy about Mace Windu. First of all, I didn't think Jackson's acting performance was that great. Second, Windu seemed too arrogant (though perhaps that was the point) and a bit more angry than I would expect a Jedi to be.

I respectfully disagree, granting this is with the hindsight that it may have helped sway him towards the Emperor's side. This is part of the arrogance (and IMHO lack of sound judgement for a Jedi) which Mace Windu displays. I think that you have to give a young person responsibility, and show them that you trust them, or else they will rebel. Anakin was clearly angered by Windu's lack of trust in him (I could see it at the time, why couldn't Mace?) and I think things could have gone differently if he'd shown some faith in Anakin.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Behind the beard, there exists a hidden fist...;)

Chrome dome with beard = Jedi Badassery.

Instead of a fist, Windu could have stashed a force push behind his.;)
    Then, maybe more people would love him... like the world loves Chuck's beard.:p

Seriously, if Mace rocked a salted beard... would he seem more grandfatherly like Jinn and Ben? I still can't find anything on film that validates calling him "overrated", so I'm looking at the little things that could have made him more likeable.:)

rumsmuggler and Pensive Padme like this.
  16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm curious. Why are so many fans determined to dump all of the Jedi's crap on Mace Windu's shoulders? Does this hostility stem from actor who portrays him? Do many of you feel that Samuel Jackson doesn't deserve to be in a STAR WARS movie, because he once portrayed Shaft? Is it because Mace was not a character in the OT, like Obi-Wan and Yoda? Right now, I find this hostility and penchant for making him the scapegoat for the Jedi Order very disturbing.

Arrogant? :rolleyes: Was he supposed to "know his place" or something? The entire Jedi Order was arrogant.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chrome dome with a beard is badassery, period.

Chuck Norris has so much assery that I can't overlook to focus on his badassery though.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  18. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Chuck Norris? Isn't he one of the thousands of people who had their asses kicked by Bruce Lee?

19. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    [Bait & Flame Removed. ~Sx3] As I stated in my post, I love Samuel L Jackson. As also stated in my post, his arrogance may have been intentional, as I said "though perhaps that was the point". Perhaps he is perceived as more arrogant simply because he has more lines in the movies than the other Jedi Masters, except for Yoda. We don't really get to know the other Jedi Masters very well, which is probably to their benefit, as we don't get to see how arogant they are as well.

By the way, Shaft is awesome, both versions. ^:)^

20. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know why you are going the [Removed.] route. Sounds like [Removed.] I'm dumping this on Windu because he was a wasted character. Why bother to have the actor Samuel Jackson in your movie if you are going to waste his acting abilities? GL may have just as well used a CGI character for all the depth he failed to give him. It is my opinion that the character is totally overrated based on the fact that we love the actor that played him. [Removed. No backseat modding, thanks. ~Sx3]

21. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Your argument works well in a normal world, but a young Jedi is very different from a young person and they have more responsibilities. In short, they should know not to rebel. And quite frankly, Anakin didn't deserve Mace's trust given all that had happened beforehand e.g. Anakin's arrogant fury at being put on the Jedi Council but not as a Master.

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I don't get it either. What makes Mace Windu the fallguy?

rumsmuggler likes this.
  23. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    It would had been just as bad with George's direction.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Isaac Hayes might have been good.

"Anakin, you're nothing but a Love Jones"

25. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    1) Of course i've already formed my opinion. You do recall my original post where I said I disagreed with the OP right?.

2) The OP's statements are by definition vague. They supply no examples to support their statements. Am I just suppose to guess at what the OP is thinking?

3) I'm not trying to bait anyone. I was attempting to narrow the discussion down to specifics and discover where we agree and disagree.

4) I'll thank you to not ascribe a hidden motive to my posts, especially since there was none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.