main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it Just Me.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by davofett, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davofett

davofett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    This thread can be used for simmilar instances of the following.

Has it ever been more obvious. In Episode IV the Deth Star was 1 minute from blowing up the secret Rebel base. Well if you can afford blowing alderran, couldn't you just Vape Yavin, then go for the moon. I'm sure you could power up the laser fast.

Can I get a second to that motion.

2. -Me-

-Me- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2003
    I think it takes a while to charge up...but what I always wondered was why they didnt just shoot the laser through Yavin and to the moon. I mean I'm sure they could have skimmed the atmosphere with it, allowing them to destroy the planet a minute earlier.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Probably. But maybe its just me, but that would have made for a very short trilogy.

4. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Tarkin over estimated himself. He wasn't concerned about blowing up Alderann a minute sooner. He thought he had all the time in the world. He wasn't under any pressure or any rush to do it. It wasn't like he said "hurry up guys, we only have a minute left!!!!!" Besides even if the Death Star had destroyed Alderaan, the Empire would still have to deal with the rest of the Rebels still trying to blow up the Death Star. I guess the Battle of Yavin would have been a draw if the Empire would have destroyed Alderaan and if the Rebels destroyed the Death Star.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Maybe skimming the atmosphere with a blast could've knocked it sufficiently off-target or something?

It's obvious - they should've built two Death Stars at once [face_mischief]

6. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    My explaination was that after it fires, it takes a long time to charge up.

When they made DSII, it was more advanced and one of the upgrades made was that the charging time was reduced to mere minutes (as we see it fire two or three times during the final space battle of ROTJ).

7. MonMartha

MonMartha Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    Tarkin ignores the "threat" posed by the small ships. He believes, therefore, that he can spend time going around Yavin. (He might have seen ST: Generations. ;)) "Pride goes before a fall."

My question: Can Luke breathe enough oxygen to stay alive in the (supposedly) thin atmosphere, perched on the weather-vane?

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Bespin has a relatively thin strip of breathable atmosphere, and Cloud City is well in the middle of it, so Luke would have no trouble breathing while hanging from the weather vane.

9. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Wait isn't Yavin a gas giant? i don't think the Death star can destroy it..

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Correct, Yavin is a gas giant.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The first Death Star had a rechage time of three hours, so if it destroyed Yavin (even if it could) the Rebels would have 3 hours to destroy the ship. The second Death Star had a recharge time of 15 minutes so it could have easily of done both, again if it could have destroyed Yavin.

I think that is the time frame if I remember correctly.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    No, the first Death Star had a recharge time of one day.

13. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Thanks.

Either way the recharge wait for the first Death Star was a signifigant amount of time.

14. davofett

Jun 18, 2002
    If Yavin was a gas giant, then wouldn't the laser travel through it?

15. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Still probably kind of hard to aim through. It'd be damn embrrassing to shoot and miss.

16. davofett

Jun 18, 2002
    Ha. It would. But I'd at least try.

They have the flippin plans for Christ's sake!

Did the DSI have a hyperdrive?

17. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Just because Yavin is a gas giant doesn't mean the planet is just a big ball of gas that you could completely pass through. I mean, I'm no science whiz, but I believe gas giants are still a solid orb like Earth, it's just that their entire atmosphere is gaseous, correct?

18. mojodaddy

mojodaddy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    AH HA! If the Death Star had shot Yavin, or attempted to shoot through the gas planet, the laser beam might have ignited the atmospheric gas, causing the planet to expand into a giant fire ball that would engulf the Death Star!
    I am rarely this big a dork.

19. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I would certainly hope the Death Star had a hyperdrive, or else it would take eons to get from planet to planet.

I don't think the Death Star could destroy a gas giant such as Yavin. Maybe it's not powerful enough, maybe it's the nature of a gas giant, who knows? (Besides Bib, anyway.)

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The Death Star obviously had a hyperdrive. How else could it go from Alderaan to Yavin?

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
  22. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Gas giants such as Jupiter and Yavin have very dense cores solid as iron (though not made of iron). Outward from the core of a gas giant is a vast ocean of liquid hydrogen. An ocean so vast that many hundreds of earths could easily be swallowed by it.

Gas giants aren't poofy whisps of clouds all the way through. In a manner of speaking gas giants are stars that weren't quite massive enough to start the nuclear fusion process.

It would take more fire power than I've ever seen in order to blow up a gas giant. Maybe a hundred death stars all aiming their primary weapon on a gas giant could make some effect. I guess the only way we'll know is if we try it. Anyone game?

23. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    The Death Star obviously had a hyperdrive. How else could it go from Alderaan to Yavin?

Rolling? ?[face_plain]

24. davofett

Jun 18, 2002
    Yeah, I'm free tuesday, and have a few superlasers in the garage. Now if I could just find my hydrospanner.

No but, If they did egnite Yavin, wouldn't It take Yavin 4 with it. Yes it's suicide, but wouldn't the fact of dying for the Empire be good enough.

25. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Grand Moff Tarkin: Dying? In our moment of triumph?

Remember, Tarkin didn't think there would be any problem with starfighters. For us, the viewers, it was obvious what was happening since we could actually watch the battle taking place with no delay. Tarkin was buried somewhere in the Death Star, and the last reports about the starfighter resistance he had were probably that Lord Vader had eliminated nearly all of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.