main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it just me...

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Crash_Davis, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Because I said so...?O:)

2. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I didn't mind having it in Pirates 3 as much as AOTC. I think for Clones it was a bit of a shock and by Pirates I was used to it.

3. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Chill.

And, yeah, "Costume Montage" is awesome. It's actually the second version of the cue. The original (available on various bootlegs) is not very good.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    It's not necessary to tell other users to chill. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I'll moderate the forum, thanks.

5. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    I love the "Costume Montage" cue on the Spidey soundtrack! Whenever that comes on my MP3 player when I'm taking a walk, I notice my stride always quickens!

On topic, I think the guitar works in this cue, because the cue isn't saturated with classical instruments, so when the guitar finally makes an appearance, it fits in with the rest of the cue, rather than sticking out like a sore thumb. ;)

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I absolutely love "Costume Montage" (Cerrabore, you're right about the crappy original version of that cue), as well as the rest of the first Spider-Man score. Actually, I consider Elfman to be one of the best composers out there at integrating non-traditional instrumentation in his scores. I have no problem whatsoever with this approach and welcome it. Other composers who do this well are the previously mentioned Goldenthal as well as James Newton Howard and, the heir to Elfman's stylistic throne, John Powell.

As for electric guitar in both the OP's two examples, I actually really enjoy it on the album version of "Chase Through Coruscant" and find it functional in OOTP (although I'm fairly underwhelmed by the majority of that score). Another recent score that utilizes electric guitar as well as other rock-based instrumentation is Clint Mansell's The Fountain. This modern approach is used particularly well in that score.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that electric guitar features prominently in the James Bond scores and has a major part in 007's theme.

7. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I must be listening to the original version of Costume Montage because I'm really not hearing anything that great. What are the two versions you guys are referring to?

Edit: Nevermind. Answer is a few posts up...

So, I guess I'm just not crazy about the cue, but I've never really been too fond of the score.

8. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    My wife and I just got around to watching this movie this past weekend, and when we got to this scene she asked "What's up the the 'Miami Vice' music?"

[face_laugh]

I listened to Elliot Goldenthal's score for Alien3, and the cue "Wreckage and Rape" features an electric guitar. I'm not sure what to make of this example. I think it works, much like "Costume Montage", because the entire piece isn't saturated with traditional orchestral instruments. It's very heavy on the drums, etc., almost has a grunge type of sound, maybe. So before the guitar even makes an appearance, you almost expect it because of the other instruments that are being used throughout the piece, therefore, it doesn't feel so disjointed.

9. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    That cue has Ennio Morricone written all over it.

10. rich-narco

rich-narco Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    nothing wrong with using the electric guitar but you can see Williams is out of his depth with the instrument - the tone, performance and written part for the guitar are naff.

11. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Specifically, Man With a Harmonica from Once Upon a Time in the West. And it's clear the makers are Sergio Leone fans, as the Davy Jones/ Tia Dalma locket conceit is liberally lifted from For a Few Dollars More.

12. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Another example of electric guitar coexisting with a full orchestra and it actually sounding cool is James Newton Howard's Treasure Planet. It's not all over the place and lays a groundwork for the orchestra to play over while never overwhelming it.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The guitar useage in AOTC doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've also enjoyed it in the "Lethal Weapon" series, Eric Clapton working with Michael Kamen's score. When you hear it in the "Gonna Fly Now" theme from the "Rocky" series. Buckethead performed with George S. Clinton in the "Mortal Kombat" films. Stweart Copeland used it throughout "Highlander II" and J. Peter Robinson used it for the final fight in the third film.

So I guess for me, I'm not bothered by including an electric guitar in a orchestra score.

14. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    A small piece of oddly placed music never bothers me. The guitar in ATOC was fine. I just hate it when the musical score behind a movie ruins it altogether - have seen two in my life and the whole way through I wanted to strangle the composer. One I recall was rock music set to a 18th century movie...just friggen weird.

15. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    I like my film scores to be as natural as possible. I just love seeing an orchestra show all that power without any kind of electrical influences. Brian Tyler posted a video on Facebook of his AVP:R score and it really surprised me that all that power was coming from a live orchestra. If I can find a way to share the video I will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.