main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it ok if ill put english subtitles?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Israel_skywalker, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Israel_skywalker

Israel_skywalker Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    well, hebrew its my main lenguage, i Learned english myself alone, and part of my crew know only hebrew but a bit of english too, but certeinly we are far away from talking perfect english anyway...
    so i tought making my new fan film lenguage in hebrew and to put english subtitles, i just never seen a fan film with other lenguage thats why i ask, you think it can be ok by others? [face_peace]

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I think 98% of people here will say YES to English subtitles :)

3. tonkow

tonkow Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2006
    wrong! 99% why should i see an movie where i don't understand anyrhing? :(

4. Kaos_16

Kaos_16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2006
    Versus was in French and it had English subtitles. I didn't mind that at all!

5. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Subtitles aren't a problem, if your native language will make it easier for your dialogue and film production then go with it. There have been good films in the past where they used subtitles.

6. Zurita-Films

Zurita-Films Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2006
    I agree. I wouldn't mmind subtitles and you would probably perform better in your native tongue. I once made a movie for a Spanish class and I couldn't stop laughing when I spoke in Spanish.

7. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I recall a couple of fan films from European countries that were in their native tongue and used subtitles. Go for it.

Rick McCallum loves you!

8. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Not a fanfilm... But one of my best experiences in watching a film was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It was all in Chinese, of course. The subtitles were so well done that about half way through the movie, I thought I could understand Chinese.
    Looking back in my mind's eye, I don't even remember what the subtitles looked like. But I remember the film very well.

So I say, YES to subtitles. They are more effective than you think.

9. Jedi_Of_Norway

Jedi_Of_Norway Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2006
    Nothing's negative with subtitles, they're great! I'm gonna use english subtitles for my 1 hour movie I'm making.

10. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Subtitles are great, but you might want some help to making sure your english is good. Yours is understandable, but could use some polishing. :)

11. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    Yeah, you could start with replacing the "e" in lenguage with an "a", heh. ;)

Just kidding... No, adding subtitles is no problem for most audiences, at all.

12. Mircat

Mircat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    Subtitles, after awhile, become almost subliminal; you don't even realize you're reading them.

Broken English tends to pull a dude out of the movie.

Like VoijaRisa said though, you may want to have someone go over the subs with you, to make sure they're 100% correct and stuffs.

13. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Vader: nn luek, i m ur fathr
    Luke: nOOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOOOo111!!!!11!1one!11leleven!
    *OMG fallz down ded*

14. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    ^
    [face_laugh]

I agree that you should use subtitles, and ask someone who's more fluent in English (and Hebrew of course) to help make sure the translation is correct.

15. CMR

CMR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    DO SUBTITLES!!!!

Much better than trying to act in a foreign tongue! Some pull it off well, but most can't..professional or not.

Language has its own subtleties and intonations that are unique to it...so, please, DO SUBTITLES and perserve your native tongue!

Besides....Hebrew is a beautiful language

16. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Hey, I have a question concerning this as well, and dint want to make a new thread. For spanish class, I am going to film something for extra credit. I am probably going to make it a fight scene with a lot of dialog, and treat it like a star wars fanfilm. I dont want too shoot it twice, so is it okay if I were to use english subtitles.

17. Mircat

Mircat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    No, use badly synced dubbing where the voices don't match the actors. . . of course that works better if it was done originally in Italian.

18. DarthDiabolous

DarthDiabolous Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2006
    I dont mind having subtitles in the movie just as long as the movie is good enough to compensate for your lack of good english

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.