main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it only me?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by 05er, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 05er

05er Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2005
    Ok, is it only me, or should this site not be called, Theforce.net, but, Google Fan Site. What is the point of this wonderful forum, if the awnser to 80% of questions is, Google Is Your Friend? I know it may be true that most questions could be found by searching google, but us kids that are new to these things rather have a "conversation" then just search for a website. Asking a simple question here is alot more helpful because you can actually talk to people, and show them what you have and ask for improvements.

I know this thread will be locked soon, and i know millions of other threads end up like this, but its a simple question. Im not talking about people who ask questions about how to make lightsabers, but it would be appreciated by all us question askers, if you could jsut be our friend, and awnser our questions.

And PS ive been crusing for about a year now, just decided to make a name, so don't jump the gun on how long ive been here.

2. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    If you used Google to search these boards you would find a lot of topics on this. :p

And like that...he's gone.

3. flaminsheep

flaminsheep Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2004
    Read my signature for my thoughts on the subject. I agree, people who tell people to Google are as bad as people who don't Google.

4. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    We love answering intelligent questions. However, about 75% of those 80% "google it" questions are to questions we're tired of answering, or they're in the FAQ/sticky threads up above.

We like helping people who've already helped themselves. We do not like giving handouts to whiny, lazy noobs. Note, I'm not calling you that, but you'll see your fair share of people in the second category.

And just because I'm an '01, doesn't mean I have all the answers. I still post questions. But I show what I've gathered and come to my conclusions before requesting general opinions/experience from other forum members. It's a sign of respect, really. And although many forum members feel they have little to do between bantering with each other; comparing cameras, codecs, software, hardware, editing techniques, etc; and picking on noobs, once in a while we get a great topic worth debating, and they last quite a few posts.

5. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    dude................ you've just killed thirty kittins........

thanks for doing your part...............................

and the counter goes up......

[edit:] first post........ hmmmmm............. welcome to the boards........ don't feal bad about the kittins... alot of people have killed them, it happens when a stupid comment on anthing is made.......

p.s. good luck

6. Andross

Andross Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2004
    It's partly a matter of research. If you have a question, odds are it's at least partly answered in a previous thread. New threads covering old information are frowned upon because that means the next guy has to go through more threads on the same info.

I'm working on a Twi'lek costume, and about half of the stuff over at costuming and props is locked threads where people are just redirected to what was already linked to from the sticky in the first place.

7. Jeremy_West

Jeremy_West Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 16, 2003
    Hey, I love Newbies- Thus the Avatar. Everybody was a newbie once. I don't know- I guess a few people around here who actually know a few things about a few things start to believe they really are better than those who don't know as many things about many things, thus stimulating some kind of fan film snootiness. Depending on the "cool factor" of said snooty film maker, other wanna be snooty film makers around him start to mimick said snootiness and therefore perpetuate the Supercool Snooty Film Makers Consortium. It's a tradition of sorts. Don't be terribly put off by it. The anonymous nature of the internet breeds that kind of hooey no matter what neck of the ether you live in. Most of the stuff here is pretty tame compared to some parts, you just need to learn to ignore those in the SSFMC and take notice of those who really want to be helpful. Trust me- the last thing that members of the SSFMC want is for you to ignore them.

8. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Corrin_Wyndryder posted on 2/14/05 6:04pm
    We love answering intelligent questions. However, about 75% of those 80% "google it" questions are to questions we're tired of answering, or they're in the FAQ/sticky threads up above.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Exactly. There's only so many times we can regurgitate the same information again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and.... Well, you get the idea. It's maddening. Hence, "Google is your friend". Because, contrary to popular belief, you really CAN find just about anything you'd want to know on Google. How do I know this? Because back in the day, before I became a Bitter Old Man, when someone would ask a question.. I'd go to Google to find the answer. It occurred to me one day (and to several others here) that we were being used as slaves, pawns to do other people's Googling for them. Screw that, I said.

9. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    Google should be your first port of call for anything you are seeking information on.
    Alot of the "noob" posts are asking about very basic things, that are either in the FAQ's or will be easily found using Google.

If you wanna post a question here, and have done prior research - including the search option of this forum, mention it in the question, that way I think people will be more tolerant with you.

Everybody was new here once, so dont feel put out if somebody tells you to look at Google - there is always a reason for it.

10. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Trust me- the last thing that members of the SSFMC want is for you to ignore them.

Yeah, so don't ignore us.

I forgot to put the logo in my sig, man, thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.