main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is It Possible Del Rey Will....

Discussion in 'Literature' started by snelson, Jan 11, 2015.

1. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    rewrite some legends novels. there were some novels I disliked like the Barbara hambly novels. black fleet crisis bored me. the crystal star was ok. I really like timothy zahn.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Highly, highly unlikely.

JoinTheSchwarz and Gorefiend like this.
  3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    You mean rewrite to fit the new canon? I don't know, I know in Halo something like that was done to fix some early novels that a later game seemed to contradict (I'm fuzzy on those details). But for Star Wars Legends seems to be a different universe entirely know so Del Rey might not do anything with Legends content again minus republishing.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I would think if they took the approach that was done with Halo (and all I remember is that the game Reach sort of contradicted the early Nylund novels, which I read but did not read the updated versions or even recall how they were contradicted), they would have done it back when the prequels were contradicting minor details in the Bantam EU.

5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think they will. Now a couple of things, for example TTT wouldn't be hard to fit. Just change the dates. The only area that would be tricky would be characters like the Solo twins especially. Since it's unlikely they are going to be in or mentioned in the new trilogy. Unless they ended up replacing them with whoever Solo offspring are in ST or if there weren't any, then, again, they would have a problem. Plus I think it might upset some fans.

Best thing would be to bring those characters (the ones that would fit) over into the new canon. Also I think it'd be great if they could just go ahead and continue the Legends line, but that's a whole other issue.

6. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    Yeah that's all I remember is Reach contradicted something. I haven't read the Nylund novels since 2003 so I don't think I would notice changes anyways. The difference between Star Wars and Halo is that with Star Wars there would be alot more books to rewrite.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think it's a reasonable possibility that some Legends material will eventually be "adapted" into the new timeline. But something like "Heir to the Empire: The Remake"? Highly, highly unlikely.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    the new timeline needs more starkiller

Revanfan1 and mes520 like this.
  9. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    I think it would be great to have him as a Inquisitor in Rebels, with Sam Witwer reprising the role.

10. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I heard they're going to rewrite Traitor to better fit the post-NJO.

[​IMG]

Darth_Dreadwar and mes520 like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    My favorite Expanded Universe stories outside of the NJO can actually fit tidily within the new timeline as of right now without issue. Even Dark Empire!

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Please elaborate.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well I mean I think Shadows of the Empire, Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor are pretty benign in terms of consequences for the universe, so I don't see anything really contradicting them, but who knows? I don't think SW Rebels has done anything to contradict The Force Unleashed overtly yet, but I suppose that's a strong possibility.

As for Dark Empire, right now the only status quo it changes from the conclusion of Return of the Jedi is that Leia was pregnant in it, but the gender of the child isn't shown because it isn't born yet. There is a line of dialog referring to the kids being on New Alderaan, which was thrown in for continuity with TTT, which I suppose would necessitate multiple Solo children in the ST if we weren't content to handwave it away.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Well remember, TFU was already officially contradicted by the Onderon episodes of TCW... in some way that I'm still not really sure of.

15. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Post-RotJ? No way.
    But in the Prequel era, I wouldn't be all that surprised if we got new novels set between the movies that rewrite some of the old lead-in novels, or tackle things that would be "missing" from the new canon otherwise (like Anakin's knighting).

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    lol. no.

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    They are most likely not going to do that. Only ones that would make sense would be ones whose key plots have been mentioned in Story Group Canon material, that would just need to revise or omit some minor references or lines of dialogue. Lots of the Luceno books, for example, like Cloak of Deception or Dark Lord, for example, could likely easily receive minor alterations by Luceno to achieve the mark of approval. It makes more sense to do this with some of the prequel era titles (which timeline is likely mostly complete, save for the Clone Wars Legacy titles) than anything much later than Revenge of the Sith.

I think that would be cool, and It'd be fun to re-canonize some of those stories for the record. But not completely necessary.

On the other hand, some prequel-era books like Shatterpoint, Outbound Flight, and Rogue Planet would likely not be eligible, Shatterpoint because Story Group Canon appears to be overhauling the story of Depa Billaba, and Outbound Flight and Rogue Planet are intrinsically tie-ins to explicitly overwritten New Jedi Order material.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Very, very, very unlikely.

I could see something like Zahn writing a completely new story taking place at 9 ABY and probably containing new versions of his trinity of Thrawn, Jade and Karrde. I could see something like that happening, yes, shamelessly gimmicky as it would be, but only because TTT is still well regarded by the casual fans. But special or revised editions? Nope.

Ender Sai and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    This would be fun, but I can't see why an author would want to do this. I mean, until we see TFA we won't know what post-RotJ stuff they can rewrite. For all we know, Han and Leia never get married. So more likely than a making a few changes is a new adaptation of the old story into new material. Frankly, I can see them doing this with Thrawn and maybe a Jedi Academy or other pivotal stories, but I see them as theatrical adaptations. I don't think we will see them as books.

20. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Yeah, this really seems like an unlikely possibility. There have been small scale examples of revised editions being done in other franchises; some reprints of Doctor Who and Star Trek novels have done some minor tweaks done. I can't remember the nature of the changes done for DW novels, but some Star Trek novels have been collected in omnibus form, and had things like ranks made more consistent with each other within the collection (to be honest, I actually would prefer they wouldn't do any changes to the original text, but whatever).

Just out of curiousity, is this actually appealing? I like having my SW, ST and DW novels being able to offer a different version of continuity, I don't need it all to conform. I hunted down a collection of particular Star Trek novels because they developed their own interpretation of what the series' history and culture was like, before the newer shows came along to overwrite them, and some fans have commented that they like the novels' innovations better than the TV shows' version. Isn't it worthwhile to have alternative narrative possibilities to explore? :)

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I have it on good authority that a Crystal Star rewrite is going forward, as a second-person Waru novel