main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is it possible for books to retcon things from TCW?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Iron_lord, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Good one, great evidence to back up that claim.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Glad I could be of service.

3. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
  4. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    If they can or already have, then I'm happy.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, it was less than definitive. IIRC Filoni even said that they kept it a little ambiguous to leave room for the EU story.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This thread has had some good LOLs.

I think the real answer is that Lucas changed his mind all the time so who the hell knows.

If the Essential Atlas contradicts the show, maybe Filoni just didn't look at it. I have the Essential Atlas but it's been awhile since I looked at it myself, so I'm not sure where the contradiction is. Maybe a new version needs to be published that incorporates TCW locations?

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Just a couple points here as we play with numbers. The Clone Wars children's books cost maybe 1/4 the amount that the adult books do on average so while they did sell more copies they only sold them at a far lower price point.

As for the books being out viewed by the cartoon, it is pretty easy to turn on a television and flip to the proper channel. It does not require one to take their wallet out of their pocket to watch a TV show when most of the viewing audience already had Cartoon Network in their homes before The Clone Wars existed.

I'm sure there are more fans of The Clone Wars than of the novels, but in part that is because of the ease of access to the program. One could never spend a nickel on TCW and still be a fan of TCW.

Also by your own link Charles the series debut averaged 3 million viewers in the USA, not the series itself. If you look at the American numbers for the entire series I think 1.5 million would be a more accurate average number, of course that doesn't count numbers generated world wide.

kubricklynch likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wonder what the statistics would look like if library checkouts were included.

Robimus, Zeta1127 and pronker like this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The problem is Grievous' backstory is awesome.

Yet it is utterly inappropriate for Grievous the character.

"I was the heroic deeply wronged leader of an insurgency against Jedi Corruption."

Vs.

How he has ALWAYS behaved.

[​IMG]

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The reason why Charles' sales numbers had three bad books was because those three bad books were the last Star Wars novels to break 100,000 copies sold back in 2008. It was also the year when TCW became a thing. Star Wars novels sold better than TCW books about thirteen years ago. It was likely due to the prequel hype.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is it not: The problem is Grievous' possible backstory is awesome. ?

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm just saying that Grevious backstory of being a guy who desperately wanted to be a Jedi to the point he made himself into a cyborg SOLELY to use lightsabers actually isn't that bad of a backstory and certainly makes more sense for a man who commits countless atrocities on a whim.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like Labyrinth of Evil's version- Grievous's cruelty and ruthlessness was, at least partly, engineered into him after that shuttle crash.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm usually really interested in character backgrounds, but for some reason I didn't give two ****s about Grievous'. I just wanted him to be a real villain so the Jedi wouldn't look like idiots for perceiving him as a threat.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Look, if the Republic gets Jar Jar to pull a homer for it, the Separatists get Grievous.

16. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    For the retcon question, I have to say no, at least that's what I think Lucasfilm/whatever would say. Although, I think this whole canon level thing is nonsense. If someone says, "Ooh, that's level G Canon, so it's more important then that Level-J canon," I really couldn't care less. Leave it up to the viewers, I say.

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The canon levels were never meant to adjudicate fan discussions; they were meant to help the creators of Star Wars products navigate the reams of material dating back to the 70s more easily. We've simply commandeered them, often without even knowing WHICH level a given piece of material falls into, for our petty little fannish arguments.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, they broke the system by creating a new level of canon and conveniently using it to completely redo the most well documented three years in the universe without any justification.

kubricklynch likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Plus Leland says that contradictions are handled case by case -- frequently lower levels "win out" in conflicts, in the sense that generalized ideas from higher levels of canon frequently give way for specialized exceptions in the lower levels.

jSarek likes this.
  20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The justification was "George Lucas says so, and he owns this whole shebang and, moreover, decides whether we still have the most awesome jobs on the planet tomorrow."

Exactly. The canon levels are guidelines and guideposts, not laws.

Mia Mesharad and Gamiel like this.
  21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not justification, that's a draconian version of my way or the highway and definitely not hands off, but more importantly, a great way to guarantee that people like me will probably never respect the canon system again.

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, it absolutely WAS "my way or the highway." At the time, it was Lucas's intellectual property, controlled by his company, owned solely by him.

And one more time, no one at Lucas Licensing cares whether you respect the canon system. IT ISN'T FOR US.

IT ISN'T FOR US.

It's for their internal use, as a tool for storytelling and product management. The only reason we know it even exists is because Leland Chee chose to talk to fans about his job on a message board one day.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I stopped watching Clone Wars after what I heard they did to Barriss Offee.
    It led me to discover whole contradictions between the series and the movies itself.
    The writers of the series went off on their own whim and forgot to actually check what they were doing. I sold my Clone Wars DVDs and ignore it in favour of the original timeline.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    More importantly, they have lost my respect as the caretakers of the universe. George Lucas simply can't wrap his head around the fact that even though his films lit the fire that is many fans love of Star Wars, it was the EU that kept the fire going and made it burn brighter and hotter than anything the films alone could have ever done. One fire that is simply a love of Star Wars, not his films and television first and everything else secondary as he would have it be, but Star Wars as a whole. So invalidating the EU is merely quelling the flame a little, but it will go out if they keep up this nonsense.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What TCW did to Barriss Offee was too ridiculous and monumentally ****ing stupid to be explained in an understandable TOS-friendly manner.

And that would be true even if the MedStar books had never been written.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.