main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is it possible for books to retcon things from TCW?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Iron_lord, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 24, 2013
    It was a really pants twist too.

Hmmm,
    the killer is dressed like Bariss,
    has the same height and proportions as Bariss,
    is a force-user like Bariss,
    knows where Ashoka was 5 minutes after she told Bariss,
    and Bariss is the only named character who isn't a series regular...

MAYBE ITS ZIRO!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It should have been Ziro.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am intentionally taking this discussion to this thread, because it's not relevant to LotF. TCW contradicts the Clone Wars multimedia project, because the multimedia project established the initial timeline of what happens between AotC and RotS, only for TCW and its tie-ins to come along in 2008 and come up with a new timeline. In other words, things like Ahsoka Tano being Anakin Skywalker's Padawan and Anakin being Knighted shortly after AotC never happened in the old multimedia project timeline, but since TCW comes from George Lucas himself and is its own new level of canon, T-canon, which is a higher level of canon than the C-canon multimedia project, the Clone Wars will forever reflect the new timeline. I refuse to accept the new timeline, because I was happy where I was with the old timeline.

It's true that Labyrinth of Evil (LoE) isn't technically a Clone Wars multimedia project novel, but it might as well be.

4. DoubleGold

DoubleGold Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Okay, now that's post have been moved to the correct thread, I'm going to ask again if my last post wasn't already moved.

Okay, but if I read republic commando books, wild space, no prisoners, or the gambit duo, will it contradict anything I learn from any of the original clone wars books, labyrinth of evil or darklord?

Edit: Zeta1127's post above me seems to confirm yes, still have to be sure on a few things though.

5. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The Republic Commando series is fairly consistent with the multmedia project, since it is an offshoot, but the two Karen's TCW tie-ins, TCW novelization, Wild Space, No Prisoners, and Gambit Duology, might as well be their own timeline completely removed from the multimedia project,

DoubleGold likes this.
  6. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    New timeline coming next month in the book Jedi Battles, Dec 13 2013

7. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    okay thanks, so don't read the other stuff unless I want to be confused, unless it is republic commando which barely ties in.

8. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't it actually listed in the "Timeline & Release Date" section that was in several of those multimedia project books? As were the Boba Fett YA books?

Emperor Ferus and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    So essentially fans of the EU novels have usurped movie purists as the most stubborn people in the SW galaxy.

Not accepting new materials and retcons because they don't jibe with your personal view of SW. Sounds very familiar. Just used to be a different group of fans preaching. Such irony.

Perhaps soon there will be a T Canon Defense Force to argue with EU book purists. Lol...

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

JackG, COMPNOR, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Um, sorry, but when LFL comes up with a timeline for the multimedia project, only to throw it out the window for TCW and its tie-ins, it is kind of going to irritate a lot of people, especially since TCW seems to have intentional disregarded the EU, and even the films, whenever possible and T-canon appears to have been created with the express purpose disregarding C-canon without having to be G-canon.

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It is actually rather ironic.

LightsaberAccident and vw_jedi like this.
  13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  14. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    So how many different timeline's of the clone wars do we have? I say different timeline's because other books added into them would contract each other, for example:
    We have the clone wars trilogy written by Karen Travis, the clone wars gambit duo, and clone wars secret missions which make up one timeline? Or does the clone wars secret missions series make up another timeline that contradicts clone wars, wild space, no prisoners and the gambit duo?
    From Shatterpoint to Labyrinth of Evil make up another timeline?
    The television show makes up a 3rd timeline?
    And the 4 Republic Commando books, can they fit into any of those 3 timelines without contradictory, or only certain ones?

I count 3 different clone wars timeline's but I need someone's opinion who knows more about the clone wars than I do.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Secret Missions was a TCW tie-in I think. Clone Wars Gambit, and No Prisoners also use TCW characters, and Wild Space references TCW events.

The Republic Commando books I think were supposed to fit the timeline of the Multimedia Project.

I think The Essential Atlas put some effort into reconciling the two timelines.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  16. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    Oh, and when I say the television show, I should be clear about it, I'm referring to the 2008 television show that has 5 seasons. Unless that can fit in perfectly with TCW books without contradictory. They definitely wouldn't fit into the multimedia project though unless it was the 2003 television show with 2 seasons.

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

No offence and sorry for bringing up our mortal enemies, but the whole debacle with the Clone Wars reminds me of the entire Star Trek novel timeline, each seems to contradict another sometimes

18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

It's been happening in pretty much any fanbase of note (Star Trek, DC, Marvel, Indiana Jones, Terminator, etc) for decades so it should. :cool:

vw_jedi likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But give headaches to some of the older continuity

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And then of course, there was the Marvel Star Wars, which isn't canon anymore. Except when it is.

Summary: lol SW.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    My favorite part of Marvel SW is how Lumiya gets killed in the final issue. Can't take SW seriously after she survived that. Lumiya died in 1986 of getting her chest obliterated by a blaster.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, but if Lumiya survived then LOTF never could've happened!

Oh. Wait.

ShanOffirin likes this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Considering I have never read the Marvel Star Wars, nice to know that some fool came up with the same idea when resurrecting Maul from an impossible situation.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

[​IMG]
    So tempted to make this my avatar.

Gorefiend and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The Starkiller thing is too hilarious to change. ^That...would just give me nightmares.

Also, despite, "it looks like a Barriss, walks like a Barriss, talks like a Barriss, so it's a Barriss," thing, there were some on Rebelscum.com speculating that since she was wearing that black jumpsuit when she wore Ventress' mask...

[​IMG]

...that she was actually Mara Jade. Disregard the fact that Mara wouldn't be born for another two years or so... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.