main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is it possible that Kylo Ren is the best character in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sith_rising, Dec 18, 2017.

1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Maybe not my favorite, but let's face it: he's the Professor Snape of Star Wars, and certainly the most complex (and probably realistic) villain so far. May not have the "kewl" factor of Vader, Boba Fett or Darth Maul, but every Darth Sidious or Snoke has to start somewhere.

2. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    My personal love for Kenobi aside, I think Anakin is still the most complicated character in Star Wars. His fall to the dark side wasn't told flawlessly but I think it made a lot more sense and was a lot more interesting than some nobody invading his mind from miles away as a child and Luke Skywalker trying to murder him in his sleep.

3. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Well I think they really missed a great opportunity by not showing how Ben organized the other students (the Knights of Ren, I'm assuming) and convinced them that Luke was a crazed, murderious, cult leader, and also not further explaining exactly how, when and where Snoke first contacted him.

4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
  5. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I'm with you on this. I really liked him in TFA and I found myself rooting for him throughout TLJ

ReyKenobi likes this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    How so ?

He's conflicted and throws a lot tantrums but I don't see how he's the most complex .

7. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    Yes, he is by far, the most intriguing and captivating character.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I have to disagree. The most complex and realistic villain (for what they means with Star Wars) is Anakin Skywalker/ Darth Vader who had six movies telling his story arc from 9 year old boy to young man who turned to the dark side to armored cyborg Sith Lord and back to a broken man who became a hero again.

Kylo Ren is in his shadow both in and out of the fiction.

CakeThiefPro likes this.
  9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    He's my favorite in the trilogy, and he's become one of my top five favorite characters in the series, alongside Luke, Han, Leia, and Obi-Wan. I'm really excited to see how they conclude his story in Episode IX.

10. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Anakin is by far the most complex hero and villain of the entire saga. Saying that Ben Solo's underwritten and anticlimactic fall is better because you find the aesthetics more pleasing is just ridiculous.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Whats interesting about ben is just how flawed he is at being a villain and how they don't shy away from it at all.

I remember after TFA people said kylo is what anakin should have been but i actually disagree because i think if Vader had been Anakin acting like Kylo people would have made an even bigger fuss about his emo, insecure, flawed personality that would at some point become Darth Vader the big bad ass of them all.

12. Ireallylikestarwarssomuch

Ireallylikestarwarssomuch Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2017
    Kylo certainly has the potential to be a great character based on what happens in the next installment. I wouldn't say that he is complex in that we haven't seen him display much of his power, haven't really seen layers of depth to him, etc; but his backstory is very complicated and compelling for sure. A very powerful force user that is struggling with the dark side despite being by Luke's side in training. Feelings of contempt for his father. Feelings of betrayal from his uncle ultimately. Being manipulated by the powerful Snoke while at the same time being put down constantly and made to feel as though he's vying to be #1 with Hux at times.

He has the ingredients there to really become something but we will see where it goes. He has yet to fully display any grand acts of power (yeah he stopped that laser blast in TFA at the beginning) and has had struggles in his lightsaber duels to date. I think it's more about his emotions at this point.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    He's a contender.

Which says a lot unto itself.

ReyKenobi, Jolee Bindo and Ben-Solo like this.
  14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    No. BTW my nephew thinks he is a total wimp now without the mask and that was his boy in TFA LOL !

Ireallylikestarwarssomuch

One twist I like them see do (but they won’t) is have Kylo admitted everyone has it backwards. It wasn’t Snoke who found Kylo and twisted him to the dark side but rather it was Kylo who sought out him and used Snoke just to build up the FO and get rid of him when the time was right.

That would give layers to Kylo as we realize it wasn’t him who got “twisted” by a dark force user of some sort. He was the one doing the twisting and was the great evil one since Day 1.

15. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    No

Anakin/Vader, Obi-Wan, Luke, Han, hell even Lando had much more interesting and coherent character arcs.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    He's not the best character but his character progression is something I was the most satisfied with. Unfortunate it came at the cost of the other characters' development, but I will say I was most impressed with him during the last act of TLJ. He finally did what Vader couldn't and has become a true villain. I like that. And I can also appreciate how he's still an immature psychotic spoiled leader because it says a lot about our world today. Very interesting.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The best written character? Yes.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  18. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    He needs to be more of a threat to Rey. He is not powerhouse that Vader/Palpatine were, but there is more going on.

Best acted character. I think Solo, in ESB best written.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think he is the best character. But he is definitely a good character

20. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Yes and no.

No because as a villain, he's laughable.

Yes because as a character, his conflict is great to see. He could kill his dad but not his mom. But they haven't said why anger is in him. Something to do with Han as a dad?

zam wesell2005 likes this.
  21. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    Absolutely.

22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  23. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    He's absolutely up there. He's very interesting. Some love him. Some hate him. Most admit they're interested in seeing where he goes next.

Adam Driver has almost been asked to fullfill the entire prequel trilogy arc of Anakin from AOTC through ROTS in like half of the screen time and he's selling it better and his conflict feels more real.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  24. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah, his acting skills are amazing. Only problem is ROTS Anakin, would annihilate Kylo Ren. That is a problem when he is essentially now the Emperor and the enforcer of the FO.

25. Yavanna

Yavanna Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2016
    He's contender, that's for sure but we have to see how he ends by Episode IX because his journey is not complete.

26. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    And who do you believe that is... Leia Organa or Han Solo?