Is it possible to change your registration date?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Iwishiwasajedi, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I have noticed something strange. A few members who I greeted when they arrived on the boards or I saw in the Welcome forum during the April+May big shabang have changed their registration dates. I would rather not name these few, unless you want absoulute proof, but what happened is strange. They were somehow able to change the date under their name and in their bio to that same month in 2001. Now, is this a server error? or is a lot of hacking going on?
  2. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't think its at all possible. The only thing that could cause that is a server glitch.

If for some reason you don't want to make it public, could you PM me with one of the users you saw this with?
  3. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    DL had to cross his out to put the correct date. If there was a way to switch, I'm sure he would have used it. Are you sure you saw all this? Is there a way you could be mistaken?

Curry

4. Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Master

star 4
    No, I'm sure of it. And I've forgotten, who is DL?
  5. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Darth Ludicrous. He used HTML in his title to cross out his old reg date and put in his real one (Snowboard had a problem with his user profile when it transferred).

What users have you seen this with?
  6. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Welcome New USers Forum has more midbies and oldbies than it does Newbies. It's most likely they just registered in Sept 2001

EDIT: I see what you mean now, sorry.

The only thought I could have on this is that, say the boards are stored in a SQL database. (I don't actually know if it's SOL, i'm hypothesizing) Someone goes into the database, accesses the reg daye (which is stored in a Unix form of numbers most likely) gets the new Unix code, and edits it. That's the only way to change it, making direct changes to the DB would allow changes to things not ordinarily changable, like usernames, post counts, or reg dates. But I seriously doubt someone hacked or gained access to the DB, or bribed a Snowball/IGNBoards person to change it

¤Night
  7. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    He used HTML in his title to cross out his old reg date and put in his real one (Snowboard had a problem with his user profile when it transferred).

Yup, but that's only his title. His profile still says June 25, 2000, as with Scott.
  8. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    nevermind. Iwish sent me another PM that made more sense.

Curry
  9. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    strange
    ------

-Comic Book Guy
  10. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing lots and lots of March '96 dates popping up soon, as that's how long most newbies claim they've really been here.

AYBABTU?

11. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [face_laugh]
    I hope not. The oldest page I've been able to find was archived in December of 1997.
  12. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1997? I thought the boards started July 98.
  13. FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Weren't the boards started in 98? ?[face_plain]
  14. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, Jul 1998 - LilWookie and BoB joined on the first day

¤Night
  15. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The boards were started in 1998 but the first page of TF.N I could find was archived in December of 1997.
  16. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    But before TF.N, there was the Star Wars page at Texas A&M.

GO 'CLONES!
  17. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've seen something along the lines of that. On the page that's dated December of 1997 it mentions Texas A&M.
  18. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  19. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  20. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I have a thread about this in the JCC. You can find the link there.
  21. AL Chosen One

star 5

You're all bloody newbies: the lot of you!

:p
  22. Kabal Force Ghost

star 2
    I remember joining in August of 1998 and then didn't post again until November, and by that time (I wasn't that familar with message boards at the time so I didn't keep track of things) I had forgotten my name and everything, and, seeing how I was at college and had tons of free time, I had over 20 email addresses and for the life of me, I couldn't find the right one with my info, so I just made a new name.

It's interesting how I came up with this name...I was looking through a Star Wars dictionary and found an entry named "Kabals" back in 1997, thought it was an interesting name, and used that for a lot of my user names around the 'net (and still do mind you). But on this board, I wanted to be "Kabal" instead, because Kabals is a group of whatever it is, and I wanted to be singular.

Boy that was pointless. Any excuse to tell a story however... :)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.