main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is It Possible to Salvage the Character of Jar-Jar?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Charon Lefleur, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charon Lefleur

Charon Lefleur Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2015
    A lot of talented writers have taken outdated or failed characters and reinvented them for success (Neil Gaiman immediately comes to mind). I'm curious, from a fan's perspective, do you think it's possible to ever someday salvage the character of Jar-Jar? Besides killing him, obviously. I personally think he's too much of a product of ignorant racism but I wouldn't rule out a talented or imaginative writer giving him more of a purpose.

2. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Bix (Dinotopia) + Charmander (Pokémon) = !

Charon Lefleur likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Watch Bombad Jedi.

There, mission accomplished.

(Or alternatively, just TPM. He's fine to me in that. He serves the role of a Jester, similar to the droids in the OT.)

4. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I really don't see the need to salvage Jar-Jar's character. Why does he have to be salvaged? The other characters are no more perfect than he is.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think a lot of the racism claims are projected on Jar Jar and not deliberately intended in his creation or manner. While I don't like him personally as he doesn't connect to me, I don't think he needs to be axed or vastly reworked to 'work'. He's fine as is.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This presumes that there is something wrong with the character. He was still used in TCW and any director and writer can use him if they want to.

7. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    TCW sort of tried, but he wasn't any better there IMO. I'd rather no one try to salvage him in the future, and instead just move on and leave him behind completely.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    There is no need to salvage anything as the character is perfectly fine as it is.

Why you think any racism is involved is something you will have to deal with yourself.

9. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Jar Jar should be in Episode 7. He would be much older and more mature, with the guilt of being semi-responsible for the creation of the Empire weighing heavily on his shoulders. It would be a great character arc for him, but this movie is all about playing it safe, instead of taking chances and being bold.

10. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    This would be very interesting. I'd like to see it. :)

MJ

11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Same here, I doubt we'll see him in the new movies, but what about a possibly future post ROTJ show?

12. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Count me in. :D

MJ

13. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    The entire Senate was responsible. And Padme's actions in "The Phantom Menace" led to Palpatine's first real opportunity.

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Ignorant racism? Assuming a lot for an opening post, wouldn't you say?

Perhaps there should be some kind of vetting process, from now on, when people join TFN.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    No it's not. Because he doesn't need salvaging. He is what he is, and more importantly... he's not what he's not: any kind of racist caricature. I could take or leave him in the movies but TCW basically solved the whole dilemma by making it abundantly clear that he is annoying to other characters too. He's not representative of anyone or anything other than Jar-Jar Binks, the well meaning but clumsy moron.

16. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Ask that question to bunch of trolls and haters on the internet. In the eyes of others, the character doesn´t need any salvaging.

17. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    The character needs no salvaging, he's fine as he is. I don't understand how he could be a racist stereotype.

18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Locking: We have had too many threads on Mr. Binks that address similar issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.