main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

is it realistic to have a 6-year old learn how to use a lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by AERYN_SUN, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    What are the different Jedi attack positions? I need to know for a small reference in my fic.

~aeryn

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've never read them per se, but there are two places you might go for help:

1) Original Radio Dramas--in one of the episodes, Obi-wan's training luke in fighting with a lightsaber and he recites a whole lot of stances/moves.

2) Make it up based on something like tae kwon do. That's what I usually do, since I study that.

3. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    The only thing I know of that's close would be the 7 forms of lightsabre combat. I've got a link for it, but it's over on the main Star Wars boards and I don't know if it's acceptible to post the link here and all.

4. JediVeloJinn

JediVeloJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2003
    7 forms of lightsabre combat

That jogged my memory a little bit. I think that I saw something that's probably the same in a large book. It was probably the visual dictionary for epII by Megan Reynolds. I'm not too sure.

5. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    If you look closely, and if you take kendo, you might recognize some of the stances. After Anakin finishes off his flourishes and sets the lightsaber in front of him pointing diagonally outward, that is a kendo stance called Chudan no Kamae, pretty much the basic stance. Luke uses a variant of this as well in the movies. If you get screenshots of other stances I could try to identify the stance.

6. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    7 forms of lightsabre combat

Yeah, that's what I meant.

~aeryn

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    It is in the EpII Visual Dictionary. Take them with a heavy, HEAVY grain of salt. You'd be better off getting a few books on kendo out of the library.

8. gbonkers

gbonkers Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2004
    Also, there was an article on it in a Star Wars Insider a few issue back. I think that there are seven fighting styles.

9. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    You can try pming some of the people over on the RPG forum. They know a lot about the different fighting stances. ;)

-Vicster [face_pig]

10. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    thanks Master_Vicky.

Edit: I got it. I found the thread on starwars.com, and another site that had a more in-depth explaination of the forms.

Is it realistic for a six-year-old to learn how to use a lightsaber?

~aeryn

11. Jedi_Jessie_Anne

Jedi_Jessie_Anne Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2004
    According to AotC, yes, it is realistic. In the scene where Obi-Wan goes to ask Yoda for help when he can't find Kamino, the children Yoda is instructing are approx. 4-5 years old.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, but they aren't exactly jumping Yoda and whupping his little green behind. They're doing what Obi-Wan had a 20-year-old farmboy doing. I think that indicates that those sorts of exercizes are the rudimentary training given as preparation for combat. Train their reflexes, then their stances.

13. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    ok. I just didn't feel like writing that in a fic I'm working on. But now I know, it's ok, i'll copy and past that section back in.

~aeryn

14. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hey think you could PM me the web site(s) you found AERYN_SUN? I know a few of the styles but having the actual url with detailed info would be great!

15. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    The only thing I know of that's close would be the 7 forms of lightsabre combat. I've got a link for it, but it's over on the main Star Wars boards and I don't know if it's acceptible to post the link here and all.

If you mean the official site, there's no prohibition against linking to information there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.