main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is it still Star Wars if it is not in line with the vision of Lucas?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    While we have move to a post-Lucas age in regards to who actually owns the intellectual property of Star Wars, it seems like the ST will still be largely based on the vision and stories provided by Lucas. But Lucas won't be around to keep giving Lucasfilm stories all the time, and eventually LFL would have to start telling their own stories.

However, what happens if Lucas came up and said that the new films produced by LFL is not in line with what he had in mind in regards to the universe of Star Wars? What happens if the new films is not considered as "true" Star Wars film by Lucas himself?

Should fans side with Lucas because he was the person who created the world or should fans side with Disney who have legal rights to the intellectual property? Would you stop following Star Wars if Lucas argued that you aren't really watching a new Star Wars movie based on his vision?

After all, not all fantasy and sci-fi universe "survive" their creators, with new derivative works often ended up being viewed as "Franchise"-in-name-only.

2. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Isn't this what happened with the Star Wars: Clone Wars micro series. Some of the characters (and plotlines?) created by Tartakovsky and his team have been kind of brushed aside.

I love this series and how it all carefully tied exactly to the opening of ROTS so if Lucas disowns something, it doesn't mean we have to.

3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    If this somehow turns out to be the best Star Wars movie yet, I suspect a lot of people will be saying, "Star Wars is dead. Long live Star Wars!"

And that is meant as absolutely no disrespect to GL. I've little doubt he will approve if JJ does the saga justice.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    The OT wasn't what Lucas originally wanted either but a compromise between him and others. Is it not Star Wars?

5. Young Yoda

Young Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2014
    I don't see the point. By selling Lucasfilm, George himself has decided to let other people do their own Star Wars movies and TV series, without his approval (except for his treatments for the new trilogy which must be respected).

That's what he wanted, so I don't understand how refusing that would be "siding with Lucas". And I'm sure he will never bash the future films, whether he likes them or not (he never bashed the EU although it was very different from his vision).

Dewback, Lurknomore, TheFoot and 4 others like this.
  6. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

Well, in the end George still calls them Star Wars.

I'm talking about what happen IF he refuse to acknowledge future films beyond 7,8 and 9 as Star Wars in any form.

The issue with the EU led to situation whereby the movies and TCW ended up giving us a situation whereby the movies have a higher canon status than everything else.

In a way, the EU has already been viewed by Lucas as not "true" Star Wars. This issue of whether the new works based on the franchise is "true" or not has already divided many fanbase in other franchise, like Star Trek and Battlestar. Would we see something like this happening again, whereby a divided fanbase began to influence the people's view of the franchise?

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I doubt George will care that much to be honest. He's sold his baby over to people he trusts and I bet he's probably quite relieved. KK was handpicked by the flanelled one because he trusts her and it feels like he's given his blessing to the new team. I can't see them strain too wildly from what makes SW SW anyway.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Or from a certain point of view is it Lucas' vision which is no longer Star Wars? There being 4 billion reasons why. :p;)

HankSolo, plaidphoenix and Dak Oolron like this.
  9. Young Yoda

Young Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2014
    I see what you mean, but he didn't say the EU were not "true Star Wars". He used to say it was not "his" Star Wars.

This quote resumes his vision :

So I don't think he will ever contest the legitimacy of a new Star Wars movie. Maybe it will not be part of his world, but he already accepted the legitimacy of other visions.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    His "vision" changed all the time anyway.

If I like the movies, I like the movies. Lucas' opinion of them has no bearing on that.

11. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    When Lucas sold the franchise, he also sold his right to determine what is and is not Star Wars.

I also don't care to listen to any further "Dumbledore is gay" type revelations of Star Wars "reality" that never made the films and live only in Lucas' head. If he chose not to put it in the films from the beginning, and he gave himself a do-over and still didn't put it in the films, well it's not part of the saga.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    George will never come out & say EP7 is not his vision cause $4.05 billion says so......

Shadojoker likes this.
  13. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Are fanboys under a bizarre illusion Lucas singlehandedly made Star Wars, rather than being a tiny cog in a sea of many people's contributions? He deserves plenty credit, but hes no infallible fully contributive God

14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    The framework for Star Wars will always be there. Therefore his vision will always be apart of it. The same can be said for Ralph Mcquarrie, John Williams etc.

Those dudes built the sandbox. The only difference is that people get to play in it now.

15. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    IMO Lucas has no say in what Is Star Wars anymore.

CoolyFett and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    In regard to the original post... I don't really think Lucas would comment on that. I think he will be quick to praise and slow to criticise... I'd imagine he would be pragmatic about his views on Star Wars beyond the OT and PT.

I think that kind of misses the point by a country mile. He's a 'cog' as much as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, JK Rowling, Lennon & McCartney, Walt Disney etc. are 'cogs'. If they are mere 'cogs' what does that make you?

17. Julian Skywalker-Solo

Julian Skywalker-Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 21, 2014
    I don't care what Lucas thinks. I'll like what I like and enjoy it.

18. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The George today is not the same George that made the Original Trilogy. People change. It will take fans to continue George's original vision.

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Fans are the worst kind of person to continue any 'vision' because by their very nature, they are biased and not that embracing of change. It's more to do with understanding that 'vision', or concept, and moving it forward in a way that's aligned to those original core values/ideas. That requires some degree of separation, pragmatism, impartially and objectivity... something that 'fans', with the best will in the world, don't often bring to the table.

20. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    EP 7 is going to flop then because JJ is a big Star Wars fan.

Palpatine77, Dak Oolron and Ryus like this.
  21. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Yep. While it will always sort of be "his," his selling of the franchise indicates that he's closed the book on his vision and it's up to other people to decide what Star Wars is moving forward.

22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    We'll never know if the ST is in line with Lucas' vision. I think that JJ/LK's script re-write is still within Lucas' general vision, but just a different interpretation from Arndt's.

whostheBossk likes this.
  23. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Disney and LFL dictate what true Star Wars is now. If Lucas ever says that something that happens in a new movie is not as he envisioned, it will just be an opinion, and I doubt he would criticize.
    Besides, it is likely that he will remain as consultant for any future Star Wars material for as long as he lives.

24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Firstly... commercial success is not in doubt... it's a new Star Wars film.

Secondly, we don't know what Ep VII will be like. It could be good it could be bad. If it's anything like the new Star Trek, I think the franchise would be dead within 5 years... is anyone really that interested in seeing a new Star Trek film? I know I'm not and I like Star Trek.

Thirdly, you'd have to define what 'fan' is? Someone who liked the movies when they were a kid and had all the toys? Or someone who is still obsessed by SW even though they are a functioning adult? I'd say JJ is the later.

ray243, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  25. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Aren't those two statements contradictory? I think SW will always have a fan base and even if Episode VII sucks, the franchise isn't going anywhere.

JunoSynth, CoolyFett, KevinM1 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.