main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is it still Star Wars if it is not in line with the vision of Lucas?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Did you hate it before you found it out the last name was from someone other than Lucas, when it was first revealed not that long ago?

1. The Force is still an energy field. All the Midichlorians did was explain why some can use it and others cannot.

2. Way back in 75, Lucas wrote that the Jedi were all descended from the same bloodline.

3. In ROTJ, Luke says that the Force runs strong in his family. That would only be true if the idea of Midichlorians in its most raw form was in play. He also wrote that certain aliens are more in tune with the Force than others, which traces back to 77 and when he was first coming up with Yoda. Which was to explain why he was so strong in the Force.

darth ladnar and Darth-Seldon like this.
  2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Poe is a real name.
    Find me someone named Jar Jar.

Jcuk and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I don't get why there's such a ruckus over a name such as Poe Dameron?. Seriously.

Edit:
    I don't mean to ruffle more feathers here but "Boba Fett" is more weird than "Poe Dameron".

Force Smuggler and Dewback like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't get it, I think the name Poe Dameron is fine... sounds like a SW name to me. Actually sounds like a hotshot pilot kind of name, for some reason. And I don't think it has anything to do with Cameron Poe or Edgar Allan Poe.

5. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    1. Would you be able to measure a priest's devotion to God by taking a sample of his blood? Can anyone become a jedi or just those born with a high midichlorian count?

2. That plot device never made it into the movies, right?

3. Your potential to be great has a lot do with where you come from. Peyton Manning and Eli Manning both became pro quarterbacks, likely because of what they inherited from their father. Luke had the potential to be a great jedi because he comes from a family of great jedis. Yoda was strong with the force because he was wise and intuitive.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    The question posed by this thread & what is & isn't canon are two entirely different questions. Canon is decided by Lucasfilm. It's just a fact & it's what they'll be using & referencing for all future content. What you believe is or is not in line with Lucas' vision is entirely up to yourself.

7. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

This would resemble a point if Ahmed Best's speaking voice sounded anything like Jar Jar's.

And you have to look no further than Tyler Perry films to see a black director telling black actors to portray black stereotypes.

Ahmed auditioned for the role and was selected to play the part. Whether his version of Jar Jar existed in the audition or not, what showed up on screen is a result of his collaboration with George Lucas. To completely blame Lucas for Jar Jar's portrayal and performance is inaccurate, but he is at the very least, partially responsible. As for the writing of the character, which is bad to begin with, that's all Lucas.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, he didn't. Random people on the internet thought that.

False comparison. In SW the Force is real. In the real world God is make-believe and priests can't do anything that other people can't do.

Someone familiar with the content of the films should have informed you that the plural of Jedi is Jedi.

Immortiss and Krueger like this.
  9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Agreed, Star Wars names are supposed to sound odd. Poe Dameron sounds very Star Wars.

Wedge Antilles
    Han Solo
    Mon Mothma
    Leia Organa
    Poe Dameron
    Lando Calrissian
    Luke Skywalker
    Padmé Amidala
    Owen Lars
    Boba Fett
    Zam Wesell

You look at the names around it... it fits and feels very alike the rest.

Dewback, Red_Leader_313 and EHT like this.
  10. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Poe Dameron is not the worst Star Wars name ever. Hands down its Porkins.

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Jar Jar Binks is not a black stereotype. Certainly no more than Lando Calrissian. It's pretty much Ahmed Best's performance... you can see that in The Begining doc... and Best can only apply his own repertoire. And although Lucas clearly plays up the slapstick elements, and has written Jar Jar as comic relief, imagine what someone like Andy Serkis would have done with it (as flimsy as the character is). Of course Lucas has to take responsibility for casting and how characters work on screen... but the performace is Best's. And you can understand why Best was hired because he's a qute a big, bubbly, physical personality. It unfortunately didn't quite work... But claiming that Lucas was racist is a whole other ballpark...

darth ladnar and darth-sinister like this.
  12. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    If you go by that list, Owen Lars is the only one that stands out for being too normal.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  13. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Padme Naberrie is one that I never liked. Also, if I didn't know anything about Star Wars or it's characters and you showed me the names Luke Skywalker and Poe Dameron and asked me to pick a good one for a sci fi hero, I would have thought that you only gave me the option of Luke Skywalker because you figured that I would think that it is so goofy that I was sure to pick Poe Dameron.

coxie0520 likes this.
  14. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005

I don't think there is anything wrong with the name, merely suggesting that it's origins could possibly be Inspired by others who work closely with Disney.

I also don't it's beyond the realm of possibility that the name "Poe Dameron" was created from a riddled "Cameron Poe".

Possibly included as a nod to Jerry Bruckheimer/Nicholas Cage, who have very strong business links to Disney. Or maybe the Poe Dameron character was Inspired by the character of Cameron Poe in some way.

15. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005

Perhaps Yoda was wise and Intuitive because he was so strong with the force, and not the other way around. Luke Skywalker is powerful in the force, as his biological father was possibly the most powerful Jedi ever, and any offspring Anakin had would have a high probability of being powerful in the force.

I thought the Midichlorian count was a superb way of explaining how some people can be more powerful users than other. Size matters not, only the Midichlorian count in the users cell's.

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    From memory it was the voices of Jar Jar and the Neimoidians that sparked the racist comments when TPM was released. Crazy IMO.

In answer to the original question I think its still Star Wars as they are using themes, characters and settings inspired by George's original stories, treatments etc. I'd like to think they would still remain true to that.

Darth PJ likes this.
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    In most companies, the founder is nearly always bought out/kicked out. Can't see why Lucasfilm should be different. I'm pretty sure all his old notepads were part of the deal. Good news is they'll now be accessible to quality directors

18. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    Preists believe in an omnipotent being/energy that you cannot see, just as the jedi do. They serve a higher power, just as the jedi do. And whether it is God or whether it is The Force, it only exists if you believe in it. The people in the rebellion did, the people in the empire did not. To Han, as with many people in the galaxy, it was just a hokey and ancient religion.

When someone says, "May the force be with you", they are basically saying "God bless".

19. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    If someone is such a big fan of Nicolas Cage and/or Jerry Bruckheimer, why pick Con Air as the essential movie that defines both of these guys as the one to honor in Star Wars? If you want to give a nod to Bruckheimer, then name him Axel Foley or a variation of that name. And as for Nicolas Cage, Con Air? Why not name the character Ben Sanderson or H.I. McDunnough?

OR perhaps the fact that Con Air has a character named Cameron Poe and TFA has a character named Poe Dameron is a coincidence, and an unfortunate one at that...

[​IMG]

EviL_eLF and Krueger like this.
  20. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

it's got nothing to do with what's in your blood.

it's got do with what's in your heart, mind, and soul.

21. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

Jar Jar or the Nemoidians being racial stereotypes does not mean that George Lucas is a racist. At the most it means that he was insensitive to the issue of race when shaping the portrayal of these particular characters, while at the very least he was blind to these characters' potential to be insulting.

If we're on the topic of race, I think it would be foolish to try and portray Lucas as a "racist" when, throughout his career, he has been progressive in issues of race and gender. He originally wanted to cast a black actor as Han Solo, a Japanese actor as Obi Wan, and fought for years to make Red Tails.

Darth PJ likes this.
  22. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Lucas is also old. Old people simply have a different view on race that younger generations do today. Doesn't make it right, really, but an entire generation are not as cognizant of certain issues. I don't believe for a second he's racist, but like Red Leader said, most likely he's just not as sensitive to certain portrayals.

Red_Leader_313 likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I actually Like all the names that were dropped in the card series, even Rey....

24. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005

Your Blood, Your Heart, Your Mind are all part of the so-called crude matter which many call a body. And all are made up of cell's, Within which the Midichlorians reside. Qui Gonn explains to Anakin that they reside inside "All living things" in the TPM, perhaps a scientific explanation Instead of a religious explanation.

Perhaps the path to Immortality is found within ones ability to harness control over these midichlorians and alter the nature of the the cells within which they reside.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Qui-Gon's and Anakin Skywalker's bodies was burned (and Yoda's and Ben's appeared to fade away) - it does raise questions as to "what a Force Ghost is composed of".

SLASHAXL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.