main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is it still Star Wars if it is not in line with the vision of Lucas?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Good post. Many moons from now, after Episode XII has been released in theaters I can see an unofficial canon system emerging.

1a - all the saga stories with arcs written by Lucas (Episodes 1-9 or 1-6)
    1b - saga stories written by Disney w/ much less involvement from Lucas himself (Episode 10-12 or 7-12)

I fully expect this to happen among the fanbase but not sure how VII - IX will be viewed. It's too early to tell.

2. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Always in motion is the future. I have forseen it...

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  3. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

SO SO TRUE

Ryus likes this.
  4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    A lot of people, up until its obliteration was officially announced, had no problems whatsoever acknowledging the EU as proper Star Wars. By and large the EU had nothing to do with Lucas and it certainly wasn't his vision. I don't see why now is any different.

CoolyFett, Lurknomore and Ryus like this.
  5. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Broadly speaking, in terms of the important plot points, the relationships and any character deaths that might happen, yes, it has to follow his vision or it isn't Star Wars, it is Star Wars fan fiction. On the other side, the dialogue and character development, I would rather this didn't go how it would if GL was writing it.

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

What have you foreseen my friend?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    That in time the answers will seek you out, and then you will bring them before me.

[​IMG]
    :p

mratm23 likes this.
  8. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Like it or not, we will soon be getting our first new Star Wars movie without any involvement from George Lucas at all: the first Spin-off movie in Dec. 2016.

George Lucas wrote the outlines for the Sequel Trilogy and has remained on board as an advisor, but he will have no direct involvement at all for the Spin-off films, so this will be the first Star Wars film not to be written by Lucas. Are the Spin-offs still Star Wars if not written by Lucas? Yes. Yes, they are. Spin-off #1 will represent the beginning of a new era....

Lurknomore and Darth PJ like this.
  9. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Good. Empirical evidence.

Bennihana likes this.
  10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's been rumoured and hinted at that Lucas turned over ideas and notes for the spinoffs in addition to his outlines for episodes VII-IX.

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm sure he did... but unless something was perceived as 'brilliant', I'm sure they (Lucasfilm/Disney) would just go with their own ideas. It would be very interesting to know what Lucas' ideas for spinoffs were though.

12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Sure, but I guess I'm saying it's not so clear as to where Lucas' involvement ends.

Darth PJ likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... his influence will be there for some time... both directly and indirectly.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    BTW, some idiot at TMZ shoved a camera in George's face and asked him what he thought about the episode VII pics being leaked. George's answer: "I'm retired".

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It's definitely still Star Wars given that Lucas let go of his creation and willingly put it into the hands of others. Personally, though, I suspect that on-screen Star Wars will be a very different beast under Disney's 40 year franchise plan. I could see myself missing the days when Star Wars films didn't roll off the yearly assembly line.

Samnz and Lurknomore like this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was coming in to basically say that George answered this thread's question while meandering down the street in Manhattan.

Dewback and Lurknomore like this.
  17. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Don't believe anything he says to TMZ...
    (w/ video) http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/29/george-lucas-star-wars-dead/

18. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Yeah, I think he's decided to be more hands-off with the new Star Wars than many fans realize.

Which is OK. He's a human being, and he deserves to spend his golden years relaxing and enjoying time with his family.

And Star Wars is, in the end, a creative property. The people who legally own that property are entitled to decide what is canon and what is not. So if Disney says something is "Star Wars", then I will take it to be "Star Wars".

It all exists in a world of fantasy and imagination anyway. It's not like we can physically go to GFFA and see what really exists and what doesn't. So who's to say Disney's Star Wars is not "real Star Wars"?

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't know. I just watched ROTS last night. I always thought it was a great film, but now the added context of TCW makes it even better. Wow, does JJ have a lot to live up to.

Sent from my R2 unit

20. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So what a mixed bag of feelings and emotions this topic has been. I hope we can get more material on what, if any, of Lucas's material will be used going forth. I think if we get some clarification that Disney has indeed used some of Lucas's ideas for Episode VII, then that is concrete for Lucas's involvement in 7-9. I would imagine the ideas used aren't going to be (have Bossk and Boba Fett show up here in the cantina), it will be solid plot points that will last the entire trilogy. So this will give the supporters reason to be thankful some major plot points will be used...at least for one more trilogy.

21. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    If a theater company performs Hamlet it's still and always will be Shakespeare.

whostheBossk and CoolyFett like this.
  22. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014

This is a very good question. One i've asked myself.

One thing we forget, we had no problem accepting Timothy Zahn's entry into Star Wars. So it can't be ALL Lucas, and that man has done enough and is entitled to relax a bit. If George Lucas wants to retire, i say let him. We may love him, but we do not own him.

23. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    I think what is and what is not SW will always be in the eye of the beholder...

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Speak for yourself - Zahn's sanctioned (now 'Legends') Faniverse was never True Star wars to me.

Vohnkar and maychild like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes. It's the same universe sharing some of the same characters, tech, philosophies etc. Lucas' stamp will always be there whether or not it is his vision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.