main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it the Milkyway?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Zethlin_Maximus, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    I always wondered what that galaxy was at the end of ESB. It looks too far away to be the Star Wars galaxy, and I've heard rumour that it is actually our very own galaxy!

2. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    I read somewhere in these forums that it is the Rishi Maze mentioned in the ATOC library scene.

3. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    My first double post. Yippee!!!

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    There was a story saying it was their own galaxy, but several differing sources have said it's a star cluster or a mini-galaxy.

5. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The AotC DVD text commentary says its the Rishi Maze, the same star cluster seen on the map in the Jedi Archives in AotC.

So they were pretty close to Kamino.

6. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    If the AOTC DVD states emphatically that it's the Rishi Maze, that's fine; but there's no reason that it couldn't be "the bright center" of the Galaxy--the central hub, the galactic axis around which the spiral arms of the GFFA revolve.
    And even if it is the Maze, there's no reason to assume the end of ESB takes place near Kamino, which as Kenobi points out is "south" of the Maze. The Rebel ships may be north of the maze, or west, or ... you get the idea!

7. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    IIRC, didn't the Falcon fly toward the galaxy? If so, wouldn't that mean Tatooine is in the Rishi Maze as well?

Edit- Nevermind, just watched the ending and the Falcon flies to the side.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Vort -- It's the same vicinity. ;)

AD21 -- They didn't go strait to Tatooine anyway. Even if you don't accept Shadows of the Empire, there's still a year in between ESB and RotJ, in which I doubt if they sat on Tatooine doing nothing. ;)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The object is the star cluster known as the Rishi Maze. It's mos definitely not a galaxy.

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    If Kamino is "beyond the outer rim", then presumably the Rishi Maze is as well, so it could be a smaller satellite galaxy, like the Magellanic Clouds surrounding our own.

11. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    I think that the Rishi Maze was invented by GL long after he made ESB. I can't ever remember anyone mentioning it in the OT, just the PT. And the "thing" we see at the end of ESB looks too big to be merely a star cluster. It looked more like a galaxy, in both size and in its looks.

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    So you know the exact size of what they were looking at, the distance they were from it, and the relative size from the standard size of a star cluster?

[/sarcasm]

13. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    If Kamino is "beyond the outer rim", then presumably the Rishi Maze is as well, so it could be a smaller satellite galaxy, like the Magellanic Clouds surrounding our own.

Technically Kamino was only "beyond the outer rim" in AOTC times. By the time of ESB it was in the Outer Rim.

14. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    AD21 -- They didn't go strait to Tatooine anyway. Even if you don't accept Shadows of the Empire, there's still a year in between ESB and RotJ, in which I doubt if they sat on Tatooine doing nothing.

I actually thought they (Lando and Chewie) did go straight there.

They did a lot more than sit on Tatooine, though, like help Bothan spies, get chased by Bounty Hunters, battle the Imperial and Black Sun navy, infiltrate a palace, and chase down swoops in Mos Eisley. ;)

Ah well, I may be wrong it's been a while since I read it.

15. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    My mistake, I guess they did go at the start of the book. [face_blush]

I forgot about that part. :p

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It looked more like a galaxy, in both size and in its looks.

It looks nothing like a galaxy. Galaxies do not noticeably rotate, and do not have "lit up" areas.

17. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    but there's no reason that it couldn't be "the bright center" of the Galaxy--the central hub, the galactic axis around which the spiral arms of the GFFA revolve.

It seems like the fleet would have to be very, very far from the center of the galaxy to have a view like that.

18. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    And Coruscant is the center of the galaxy -- nav coordinates for Coruscant are 000 -- and that's where the Empire is. I doubt the Rebellion would fly right to the center of Imperial Space like that without having an attack in motion. ;)

And I doubt that Luke meant it in a literal sense. He meant a wonderful planet, not the dustball he was stuck on. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.