main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it time for a Force.net Version 2.0? (Now discussing the new nav menus)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by beezel26, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    With the sucess of facebook, youtube, hulu.net, WOW and other more actively involved websites the questions begs. Are we the JC and the The force.net apart of the Internet V1.0? I believe we are, furthermore as a community I believe we can use the community itself to help design the the next version. Something that will have all the functionalities of facebook, youtube and even hulu.net yet still maintain the air of independance that is the Force.net. Something that will revolutionize the internet and becoming not just a good forum to post on but an active community that attracts thousands to share in the joy of SW. Becoming more of a community in the process. Yes it will take money, and yes it will take time. But I believe all of us can contribute to making the the force.net the website all SW fans want to be on and be apart of.

So as a group how about we start thinking of ways to enhance our experience and make this place a thriving community like it was was all those years ago.

And yes PhilipWise will need to be involved.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Adding some fancy new features will not attract a huge amount people to this website. People come here because of Star Wars, specifically Star Wars movies. If they are not around you won't get people visiting regardless of what changes are made. As far as the TV show is concerned, I don't know what's going on with it and if it will bring more users here.

But tell us what are your ideas?

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    let's team up with Steve Jobs and make iForce!

TubeForce?

TheForce.tube?

What is twitter? A message board format but with less capacity for messages. Facebook? Your profile with a message board format. You update your "status", say hello etc. You do that here anyway. There really is nothing archaic about a message board.

Do you know what the next big communications format will be? Some form of message board/blog format where people type words at each other.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I wish the TF.N main page went back to it's old design.....................................that design was pure awesome.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Win:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980116122524/http://www.theforce.net/

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    beezel is launching a revolution. It's a new day. Not the beginning of the end but the end of the beginning.
    Notify Philip Wise of these developments immediately.

-Seldon

EDIT: Is this your first comms thread with a question mark?

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I was actually referencing this old style: Clicky here:p:D

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    what is the force.net?

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000

10. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    The JC does give problems to new browsers. I use IE 7 and have to use it in Compatability Mode or the text seems to go a bit awol.

But somehow, whenever speculation goes around there are some drastic changes happening, they usually don't.

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    We can't even get a mod to stick around to take care of an out of date text message board, and your suggestion is to throw video in it?

I agree.

12. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Not that I expect anyone noticed this, but I've probably spent just as much time developing updated code and new features for this site as I have spent moderating the boards since I was first promoted a year ago. (Remember when the Google search boxes used to not work right? And say, how cool is that global announcement feature?)

Soon, you will see the crown jewel of all my hard work behind the scenes, in the form of navigational menus that make surfing from board to board quick and easy.

Katana, IE7 is not a new browser. And I would go as far as to say that IE is the only browser that has a problem with properly displaying text on these boards.

13. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    so, about an hour then ?

Would text showing up inappropriate on IE be a significant issue seeing as IE is still the most popular browser ?

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Holy ****. :eek:

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    So when are we moving?

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I would guess IGN might see it that way. Of course, that "compatibility mode" button in IE8 seems to fix the problem just fine.

Then again, I would say the fact that people still use IE is a pretty significant issue in itself.

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Isn't the issue that Microsoft seem unable to make robust software ?

18. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Srsly. WTH. Grimby, you are AMAZING.

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    impressive programming, but will those menu's be customisable ?
    otherwise it seems less hassle to click on 'jedi council forums' then pick your next forum from your favourites (ie the current format) ?

20. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    The menus will be automatically customized for each individual forum. So underneath the category link will always be the forums for that category, and under "Jedi Council Forums" will be the list of all categories and the underlying forums. Like the page I linked to, FanForce forums will have a list of FanForce categories rather than JC categories.

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    We will be able to turn them on and off? I am sure not all users will like them and might wish they could disable them.

22. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    what's different?

[image=http://www.dijitalfix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tom_hanks_big__1_.jpg]

edit: oh nvm. Wasn't using the mouse

23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Nope, sorry.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Will we still have a favorites list to use?

Like malkie, I think this method is perfectly fine. I'd much rather click on jedi council forums, and select from the list of my favorites I've already chosen.

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    This won't change anything as far as your favorites are concerned. They'll still be available on the main page just like always.

The only way to make this any more customizable than a simple menu is to integrate it into the forum software. Unless IGN decides to do that, something like a personal favorites menu is just a pipe dream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.